• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm sorry but this new Layout is a hot mess.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lumicite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Change is good and often necessary; however, in this case neither seems to be the case. The former layout was simple and easy to read, but this layout is confusing. The news, the reviews and columns are a chaotic jumble. In time I am certain that I will be able to get used to it, but I really don't have the energy. Shocked
thecritter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I used the zoom out feature in my browser (Firefox), and instead of shrinking the whole page like it sometimes does, it shrank the text sizes so that everything is in better proportion.

To me, the biggest readability problem is that the headline sizes are too large compared to the article text, they don't need to be bold, and they need to be in a darker color. The designer basically made a middle-schooler mistake in style.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
I don't really see the confusion. It is pretty much the same just with pictures and bigger text. It looks similar to other blogs to me.
Zerowalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree, it´s a mess for me.
It´s just well, empty all over the place, and all stuff get´s put at the left side.

I beg you, make an option to use the old version, cause this is really bad for me, i have a friend who thinks the same.

It was ideal before, truly.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
I don't really see the confusion. It is pretty much the same just with pictures and bigger text. It looks similar to other blogs to me.

I think that's pretty much the biggest problem I'm having with it. It's a news site, not a blog. It's trying to disguise itself as a mobile friendly blog site, another buzzfeed or Gawker, but that's not how it used to be and I stay away from those sites for a reason! So glad this version exists though. Saved my eyes and my mind.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/
Zerowalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
What version?
Looks the same to me as the one that´s used now:S
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
I think that's pretty much the biggest problem I'm having with it. It's a news site, not a blog. It's trying to disguise itself as a mobile friendly blog site, another buzzfeed or Gawker.

Ugh, god, no, we're not trying to be like them.

We chose this layout for a number of reasons, and none of them were "let's try to look like gawker and buzzfeed."

Yes, being "mobile friendly" was a significant aspect of this layout. Or rather being "friendly to as many devices as possible." That said, I never felt that we were compromising the site's use on a regular desktop. Obviously a fair number of people feel differently.

-t
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
That said, I never felt that we were compromising the site's use on a regular desktop. Obviously a fair number of people feel differently.

-t

I don't think you have, but my biggest nit pick is this:

http://i.imgur.com/fxape9m.jpg

All that space is wasted, particularly so in the forums. I don't know what the purpose of this white space is. Other forum's layouts fit your whole screen regardless of your resolution.
ShaunHastings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
It just looks so needlessly squashed up, it was bad enough when you got two news items and the column in a row, but now it's only one news item alongside the column. It doesn't feel readable at all.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
FLEABttn wrote:
...my biggest nit pick is this:

All that space is wasted, particularly so in the forums. I don't know what the purpose of this white space is. Other forum's layouts fit your whole screen regardless of your resolution.

Go to: My ANN -> Account Settings -> Preferences and change the width. Although it prompts for 100 or 200 you can set it to any value you like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
FLEABttn wrote:
...my biggest nit pick is this:

Go to: My ANN -> Account Settings -> Preferences and change the width. Although it prompts for 100 or 200 you can set it to any value you like.

Awesome, thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1