• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Flamenco (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Could that girl be...Goto's girlfriend?!

Interesting idea spoiler[about Masayoshi filming a show. What if he doesn't know it's not real?]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Considering how "every hero trope is being used" spoiler[ my prediction is King Torture will say "I killed your parents" to Samumenco before the end as some strange game where he just wanted to "play the villain" for some reason.
]
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, he calls himself spoiler[King Torture for a reason, it seems...this show sure knows how to shock with sudden outbursts of graphic violence, if nothing else. I have more thoughts but i'm kinda tired of pointless speculating...but it looks like we should get some kind of climax/boss fight next week?]
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
"Allow me to deliver my line." Cool

Pretty much sums it up.

They're *ing with us so badly, I will be really, really disappointed if this does not get a satisfying conclusion. I wonder if we're going to get out of that spoiler[fiction-within-fiction] universe anytime soon (or at all). What will be the point of all of this in the end? There's going to be one, right? Because if there isn't going to be any, I'd feel really let down after the beautiful start of this show.

spoiler[King Torture] will definitely turn out to have killed spoiler[Samumenco's parents], the way this is going right now. But for what reason? Who's going to be the director of this spoiler[Truman show]?
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
^it'll turn out to be Masayoshi's grandfather all along! He faked his death and set all this up because he wanted his grandson to be a superhero so badly!

I really have no idea what this show is doing. I haven't even seen the latest ep yet, but I checked the forums to see if there were any great revelations that would totally turn this show back around. Nope! Nada! Bupkis! Laughing uggh, Samurai Flamenco writers, look at your life! Look at your choices!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
King Torture reminds me of a character from the otherwise forgettable American Dreamz movie who was called The Torturer. He had a line that cracked me up: "Folks don't call me 'The Torturer' because I *don't* like to torture people."

So it sounds like this arc will wrap up next time. Good. I want to find out what the hell is going on. And can we find out who Goto's gf is already? This mystery is kind of pissing me off.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I think we might find out Goto's girlfriend in the future if the new characters are introduced this season. As for the latest episode, King Torture.....wow, he sure lives up to the name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
I went back to check something in the first episode and realized gf can't be manager, because she and Goto met in Masayoshi's apartment without a hint of recognition. Yeah, I'm slow...

Also, I finally noticed Masa's hero's name is Harakiri Sunshine - seems like kind of a grim name for a children's show. Maybe the characters mean something else (haven't seen it written) but isn't that like calling a hero Rainbow Suicide? Wouldn't have given that much thought except with the dark turn this has taken, maybe it's not just an odd name.

Btw, which episode had the bit about the hero (Machine Gunner?) who sacrificed himself, then didn't die, or whatever?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:37 am Reply with quote
Being a fan of tokusatsu, I enjoy the show's antics with the monsters of the week but like almost everyone, I'm bother by its transition to this format. It was really. . . weirdly handled but hopefully we'll get some explanation soon.

Onto the recent episode:

I'm under the impression that King Torture spoiler[has the ability to turn normal people into his 'Torture Monsters.' There's no proof towards this but his conversation with that one dude and the Gorillatine transformation gives me that vibe.] Every week since the show's transition, I come in with a bunch of questions only to be blown away and having more questions. This episode made sh*t hit the fan though; it appears the situation is getting more serious and I just can't wait to see what happens next. Unfortunately, I can't really say much because I'm always left with inquiries about the show.

Anywho, I stumbled upon photos of the new characters but the source is /a/ (I did try looking for the Japanese Samurai Flamenco twitter to see if they posted it but no to avail):

A note for those who don't understand tokusatsu: it is somewhat of a Super Sentai (Japanese equivalent of Power Rangers) tradition to have the heroes named after colors. (I actually learned this from Akibaranger.) So, hey, maybe we get a Samurai Flamenco team? Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
I've gotten over my disbelief at the events that are unfolding and have accepted that this is the way it is. Samurai Flamenco is a trainwreck, plain and simple. I want to look away but I can't because it is just so shocking how far it has fallen. I haven't been this disgusted with a story's direction since I found out the manga ending to Bunny Drop.

Gack.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
The Five Stages of Samurai Flamenco Grief:

Stage One: Denial
-Ha ha. Okay guys. This is obviously a delusion. Masa just got exposed to some hallucinogenic drug during the bust. Next episode everything will be back to normal.

Stage Two: Anger.
-What the F***! What the serious F***!!! What is happening here?? It's been two episodes now!!!!

Stage Three: Bargaining.
-Fine. Fine. This isn't all a dream. I'm willing to accept that. But there's SOME twist here. There has to be. There CANNOT actually be crazy animal monsters. The first half was so...well written...so they must...they must have...something here.

Stage Four: Depression
-Ug...

Stage Five: Acceptance
-So...Space Dandy anyone? That looks...pretty sweet.

I'm deep into stage three currently. Barring some kind of amazing twist soon I'm afraid I'll be sliding into stage four. And stage five may well follow come the winter.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:50 am Reply with quote
^ Anime smile

Yeah, stage threee it is. Hanging on to it with all the office supplies I can find. I don't believe in my spoiler[Mayasoshi's already in the middle of dying] theory anymore, for obvious reasons. And it's obviously not all going to be a dream or delusion, as I believe they stated 3 months have passed already since King Torture's first appearance. They are playing a dangerous game here. If they don't offer some sort of revelation any time soon, they might loose a lot of viewers. (See how I'm writing this fully expecting->hoping->begging for some sort of wonderful twist to actually happen?)
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:12 am Reply with quote
Seriously, at this point i'd be almost ready to accept that the show has turned into some weird supernatural monster anime if there weren't all those hints that don't seem to want me to accept it. spoiler[Like the monsters being so bloody ridiculous, or that time when they stopped the fight because Masayoshi's phone rang, or that quota of minion fights that has to be met before the boss battle can take place...]

I think somebody mentioned it before that the main themes so far seemed to be the need to escape boredom and the need to feel entertained. Boredom --> superheroes appear --> superheroes beat up small villains --> entertainment ---> no villains left --> boredom --> supervillain appears, heroes fight monsters --> entertainment --> monster of the week fights are too formulistic ---> boredom...spoiler[hell, there's a guy who seems to be perfectly capable of withstanding the cruelest torture but he can't resist the prospect of exciting entertainment] - it has to mean something, right?! Alright, i probably am knee-deep in stage 3... Embarassed
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:32 am Reply with quote
Maybe it was so obvious that it didn't need to mentioned but does anyone else think King Torture is Jouji Kaname? Always making up excuses to never assist Masayoshi with the monsters and he's the only person on the show who is about the height of King Torture.

Considering all the tropes the show has been using lately the whole "Master becomes enemy" scenario wouldn't surprise me. Not to mention they are both full of themselves and LOVE entertainment.

King Torture is also pretty knowledgeable about how super hero shows work (much more than a normal evil guy).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

As far as we know the writers might be pulling a South Park and will spoiler[reveal that aliens have decided to turn Earth into a source of entertainment]. It actually seems a little plausible, and we will learn that an spoiler[advanced society has kind of thrown away morals like how he fought against small things] in the beginning. Everything just feels like a big show, something that just makes it not feel real.

But we are really grasping for straws as the way it is currently going is just not right, it is not working and it does not make sense with how it started. Although one of my fears at the beginning was that I did not know how they were going to keep going the way they were, maybe this was the unfortunate answer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 28