• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Journalist Proposes International Edit for Ghibli's Latest Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Never said that it's not the case in Japan... And did mention the problems with the Tokyo Ban for example.

In any case, censorship is not the solution. If anything must PG or any type of regulation, so be it. I'm just saying that you should never cut a work of art and creativity upon cultural issues, and that's even worst if you do the cut BEFORE any controversy of some sort.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
ReverseTitan wrote:
@Adamb Never, use Britain as an example to prove anything against the US. Ever. Britain itself is a rather conservative country, run by conservatives. At least the States is run by a liberal in the form of Barack Obama.

The current government is a Conservative/Liberal coalition and has been for the last few years. For more than ten years prior the government was Labour, who are left wing.

Quote:
Censorship/sensitivity levels there can exceed the US in many ways. As I said before, a show for kids, Regular Show is censored. The US censored Regular Show, too, but Britain pretty much purges the show of its purpose, even though the show has virtually no objectionable content.

Please provide non-hentai examples. I
n terms of anime, we've had only a single frame cut out of one show in recent years for reasons of sex.
The best example I can think of where there was a significant change to the US in terms of TV was changing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles into Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles - and that was not due to anything sexual.
Lexx was shown uncensored here while in the US parts of the second series were cut or blurred.

Quote:
Britain, at least England lacks sexual education as well.

Huh?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Man, this is what all the fuss has been about? Breast feeding and naked babies? I thought this was like Ghibli going hardcore with creepy anime pedo sex and fanservice out the ass or something. Probably won't get G but this might pass for PG. I've seen commercials with naked babies in them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
ReverseTitan:
Quote:
At least the States is run by a liberal in the form of Barack Obama.

Best joke you've made all day, buddy.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
ReverseTitan:
Quote:
At least the States is run by a liberal in the form of Barack Obama.

Best joke you've made all day, buddy.

I'm a little confused as to when ANN became a political forum or started allowing political discussions, particularly in cases where it is completely derailing threads and posts like this gem have absolutely zero to do with the articles content at this point.

Actually I lied, I'm not confused, because it never happened. So cut the political debating BS, particularly when the debates content itself is so eye-rolling at this point that calling it a "debate" is being generous.

Adamb15 wrote:
I've got objective data, what have you got?!

You've got marginal data that effectively proves nothing and is not substantial enough to demonstrates anything scientific or even qualify as a solid scientific study. You've also got data that is the equivalent of a single piece in a 5000 piece puzzle and still represents nothing substantial in the grand scheme of the topic, not to mention the fact that your point is outright countered by merely walking down the street or looking in a magazine and simply taking in US society. So no, you've got nothing. If I looked hard enough I could find a study on the internet that says 1+1=3, congrats on your google skills.

Last edited by Keonyn on Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
I know it won't be edited here in America. It'll just be distributed by Touchstone pictures (I think? Y'know that name that's basically Disney but less obviously Disney so people don't flip out?) and nobody will even care

Also how dare breasts be shown as something that isn't a sex object!! FOR SHAME!!! /sarcasm
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
I know it won't be edited here in America. It'll just be distributed by Touchstone pictures (I think? Y'know that name that's basically Disney but less obviously Disney so people don't flip out?) and nobody will even care

Also how dare breasts be shown as something that isn't a sex object!! FOR SHAME!!! /sarcasm

Everything might be moot anyways: "Why is Studio Ghibli’s latest movie struggling at the box office?"

• As a matter of fact, the shift from the norm seems to be a little too jarring for many fans, who aren’t filling seats in the same droves they ordinarily do for Studio Ghibli’s offerings. The situation is severe enough that one Japanese film critic is already condemning the movie’s opening weekend box office numbers as a financial failure.

“Over the weekend of the 23rd and 24th, Kaguya Hime took in 284,250,000 yen (US$2,842,500). For most movies in Japan, that would make it a hit, but with a total production cost of five billion yen, this is an unimpressive opening.”

Kaguya Hime also marks Isao Takahata’s first time in the director’s chair for Studio Ghibli since 1999’s My Neighbors the Yamadas, which came and went from Japanese theatres with so little fanfare it’s often forgotten even by self-proclaimed Ghibli devotees.

Before that, you have to go all the way back to 1994’s Pom Poko for Takahata’s next most-recent direction job for Ghibli, meaning that for many people in the audience, this is their first time seeing, in the theatre, how Takahata handles direction. Viewers expecting or demanding that Takahata make the exact same choices as now-retired Hayao Miyazaki, director of Ghibli’s biggest hits, may be in for a disappointment.

Speaking of Miyazaki, it’s possible that Kaguya Hime’s (comparatively) poor performance is simply a result of over-saturation. Earlier this year, Studio Ghibli also released Miyazaki’s directorial swan-song, The Wind Rises, and a documentary on the inner workings of the production house was also released to theatres this month.

On the one hand, Ghibli’s numerous runaway successes ensure that even a sub-par showing by Kaguya Hime isn’t going to bankrupt the studio. That said, history has shown that when things don’t reach Ghibli’s understandably lofty expectations, there may be repercussions. 1993’s Ocean Waves was Ghibli’s first made-for-TV project. The 72-minute anime was helmed by a young staff, and was envisioned as the start of a youth movement at Studio Ghibli, with up-and-coming artists getting a chance to show their stuff on television, before stepping up to theatrical features. Unfortunately, Ocean Waves went way over-budget and finished in the red, making it the first and last time Studio Ghibli would sign off on such an experiment.

GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote
enurtsol: Yamadas was a flop, too, and we still got it. Also, Ocean Waves probably ended up being profitable in the long run on home video. Anyway, from a marketing perspective, Disney could try to sell it here as Ghibli's answer to Mulan. And from what I understand, Pixar doesn't have anything of note coming out next year, so Disney would have to fill that void somehow. Especially since they'd need to maintain their presence at the Oscar race for Animated Film. And they can't just whip up those CG pics on the spot, 'cus they're expensive as hell. Plus, they do it wrong, and they end up with the next Mars Needs Moms.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 am Reply with quote
Well I can guarantee that if one frame of that film is cut for it's international release they will have lost at least one ticket sale.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
This is a storm in a tea cup. The only people what would be railing and condemning such scenes in a cartoon wouldn't be watch this cartoon anyway, because "it's one of them foreign cartoons" so who cares? Rate it 18+ for all I care. Just get the damn thing out already. Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:47 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

enurtsol: Yamadas was a flop, too, and we still got it.

Thought we're talking about theater screens.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of Miyazaki, it’s possible that Kaguya Hime’s (comparatively) poor performance is simply a result of over-saturation. Earlier this year, Studio Ghibli also released Miyazaki’s directorial swan-song, The Wind Rises, and a documentary on the inner workings of the production house was also released to theatres this month.

If that reporter contributes Miyazaki's film as a possible reason for this one's non-stellar numbers, I can only imagine what would have happened if they had opened up together, but not as a double-feature. No one would have gone to see Kaguya at all with that line of thinking. But still, The Wind Rises was months ago, can't it just be that people aren't interested in this film as it stands, by itself?

GATSU wrote:
And from what I understand, Pixar doesn't have anything of note coming out next year, so Disney would have to fill that void somehow. Especially since they'd need to maintain their presence at the Oscar race for Animated Film. And they can't just whip up those CG pics on the spot, 'cus they're expensive as hell. Plus, they do it wrong, and they end up with the next Mars Needs Moms.

Unless Big Hero 6 (WDAS), the Box Trolls (Laika), or How to Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks) are anything of note, maybe next year will be Japan's time to shine. The Nut Job, Rio 2, and the Lego Movie may be fun, but probably nothing award-winning. DreamWorks also has Home for the November release, but it'll probably be like every other alien-related CG film for the last decade: not good. Kaguya will probably do nothing more than a qualifying run, so Disney won't really spend any cash to promote or advertise for a nomination or win. Yeah, 2013 would have been Ghibli's year if not for Frozen.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
@Romska U mad? Do you honestly think they give two shits about $10 lost? Hell, do Disney actually care about Ghibli? No, they care about Miyazaki. Hayao Miyazaki to be precise.

@Shiroi Hane DBZ was edited in both the US and UK, but Toonami UK edited it even further to make room for commercials and shit. And even though it's not anime, again, the example of Regular Show comes up again. Also, the leader of your country is David Cameron, who is a Conservative. As far as I care to know, that makes your country run by a conservative. I'm fully aware both the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives are in a coalition, but that was not out of choice, for your information. I've lived in the UK. It's no different sensitivity wise to America. Both full of censorship and crybabies.

@GATSU Nobody cares about the Oscars/Annies. They lost their credibility when they put only American animation in the best voice acting category, as well as their refusal to admit that there are dubs of anime that can match or surpass domestic animation voice work. Oscars are too easy for me to bash.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Don't know what you're all so worried about aside from the usual "oh boy oh boy a chance to climb up on my soapbox about american prudes" thing.

You say that as if it isn't true. Rolling Eyes

It is depending where you go.
Where I'm from no one gives a shit about sexual content in films, or breast feeding and so on because I come from a very liberal state, but if you go to where I live for the time I'm at university, yeah, people give a crap. Not every American is the same way, and a lot of states have vastly different values than one another.

Cut your generalization bs.

Anyway, I don't think it should be censored. The people who saw it said it was just breast feeding and a family bath scene and there's nothing sexual about those things, but it is just this guy's opinion and he is allowed to have that.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:

It is depending where you go.
Where I'm from no one gives a shit about sexual content in films, or breast feeding and so on because I come from a very liberal state, but if you go to where I live for the time I'm at university, yeah, people give a crap. Not every American is the same way, and a lot of states have vastly different values than one another.

Cut your generalization bs.

Yeah, because anecdotal evidence is completely and utterly rock solid. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6