• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
what i learn from this anime is the human race is horrible. As long as you are not human, it's ok to kill. That's why so many animals went extinct or close to extinct because of us.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this episode moved way too quickly to be any degree of plausible, even by the standards of this show. Still, ratchet up the harshness high enough and you can pack quite a punch.

And while I continue to agree that the Code Geass comparison is an apt one, this episode falls well short of the soul-wrenching impact of the "Kill all the Japanese" scene because this was all part of a deliberate scheme carried out by people who were definitely not innocent, whereas that was borne of a horrible, horrible mistake which spoiler[forced the series' most noble and good-hearted character to do something truly heinous].

Still, this series continues to justify why its one of my two highest-priority views in any given week. And I'm still curious to see how that whole A-drei/Saki thing plays out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Still, this series continues to justify why its one of my two highest-priority views in any given week. And I'm still curious to see how that whole A-drei/Saki thing plays out.

They will be on the same side soon.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't doubt that, because A-drei seems a little too sharp not to put two and two together.

Hmmm. . . there's been rampant speculation that the future prince might be L-elf's descendant, but could it be possible that he's A-drei's instead?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Well, I don't doubt that, because A-drei seems a little too sharp not to put two and two together.

Hmmm. . . there's been rampant speculation that the future prince might be L-elf's descendant, but could it be possible that he's A-drei's instead?

That might be the case. I don't think depressed boy is ever going to have kids with her gone.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I always thought it was L-elf's descendant, but Key makes such a good point. Depending on how they get L-elf motivated again, in the coming episode will help make things clearer whether or not such a good assumption is correct. Is it going to be revenge or some form of human companionship? Hopefully next episode gets his resolve back and does something withspoiler[ module 77 in the form of an explosion.]

I'm guessing there is no way they'll be able to end this show this season spoiler[blonde guy Satomi needs to become a holy spirit and the valvraves need the obligatory upgrade][/spoiler]
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
If we're looking at typical flag-raising, L-Elf is ending up with Shouko, A-drei ends up with Saki, and Haruto gets nomnomed by Valvrave girl in a contrived moment of great sacrifice.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And while I continue to agree that the Code Geass comparison is an apt one, this episode falls well short of the soul-wrenching impact of the "Kill all the Japanese" scene because this was all part of a deliberate scheme carried out by people who were definitely not innocent, whereas that was borne of a horrible, horrible mistake which spoiler[forced the series' most noble and good-hearted character to do something truly heinous].

Absolutely right. There are some (I think undeniable) parallels between the two show, but Code Geass was much more gut-wrenching.

I don't think they're going to leave spoiler[L-elf] like that. He's been much to awesome to not bounce back at least one final time.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
Why is everyone talking about L-elf and A-drei, but not X-eins? That earring he has is most definitely the same one H-neun turned on while talking to Cain to record the events before his death. X is already suspicious of H's death, so that recording from his dear friend should be more than enough to get him ready to revolt. If anything, I think he's the one that plays a huge part in the finale, notably getting L-elf out of his slump and planning some coordinated attack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
Oh, without question X-eins is going to figure into this. I didn't bring him up because I thought that was quite obvious. Wink

Last edited by Key on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
If we're looking at typical flag-raising, L-Elf is ending up with Shouko, A-drei ends up with Saki, and Haruto gets nomnomed by Valvrave girl in a contrived moment of great sacrifice.

yeah, I always though that kid is Shouko's descendant. The reason is because the prime minister's kid is going to take over the kingdom. They are going to conquer the entire world after all.

Quote:
Yeah, this episode moved way too quickly to be any degree of plausible, even by the standards of this show. Still, ratchet up the harshness high enough and you can pack quite a punch.

No, this ep has been setting up since the beginning. Remember in season 1? that president guy was already working with Dorssia/Magius higher ups secretly. And Saki said in a flash that they lost alot of classmates in an event.

They just create a political reason in order to kill the students without consequence.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:49 am Reply with quote
I am normally okay with Valvrave's inherent cheesiness - hell, it's part of why I love the show - but Blue Valvrave's spoiler[tearful, "So...what do you REALLY think of Shoko?"] at the end had my eyes rolling like crazy.

Like others, I didn't buy the students spoiler[instantly turning against the pilots and I especially didn't buy Shoko turning on a dime against Haruto.]

Well, it's not like plausibility has ever been the show's stock-in-trade.

I did find the spoiler[slaughter of the students] brutal.
pws_37

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Haruto's] cry of anguish at the end of episode 21 kind of summed up my response, too. The story has gone to heck. Valvrave the anime will have to prove it is a kamitsuki itself if I watch much more.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Like others, I didn't buy the students spoiler[instantly turning against the pilots and I especially didn't buy Shoko turning on a dime against Haruto.]

I think it was reasonable for the students to do that after seeing Saki spoiler[come back alive after being stabbed in the heart and seeing the clip of everyone being harvested. They probably thought they were being kept as food ] Shoko wanted to believe in Haruto at first but after spoiler[he came back alive and he forgot about the cave, she thought this wasn't the Haruto she has known her entire life. So it makes sense that she would betray him. Now the fact that she actually believed the Jior's president would keep his promise of safety is another story.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
WHG - nope, don't buy it for a nanosecond. The students see some video footage of Saki provided by their bitter enemies the Dorssians along with the contents of a Phantom ship that they've never seen before and they are just going to instantly turn against the very pilots who have saved their bacon time after time? Yeah, bullshit.

Now, if they wanted to make it more credible, if one of the well known students had witnessed Haruto in evil space vampire mode suck somebody's blood a while back and had just never said anything, but in the context of the new information brings it forward - okay, that's a bit better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 32