• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-04-27]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moros

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Eruanna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
At the ranter:
Okay, so basicaly...... your upset because they dont stock older series? Things go out of stock, man. Sure you can recomend to someone the older titles... heck, I am defonatly all for that. But you cant expect bookstores to keep stocking them. Alot of them might even be out of print!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The rant was somewhat more original that the ones usually displayed, but it's pretty pondorous why they can't understand why certain old programs are being phased out of the market/fandom. Simply put, they're old, and fans like new, shiny anime. I won't say that the old anime is of a higher quality in story and characterization than the new ones - often it isn't, it's just a lot of nostalgia bombs and seeing through rose-colored lenses (something I'm guilty of myself) that allows people to believe that "the old days" are better than today. But in some cases, yes, there are superior shows from the 80s and 90s that have a stronger focus, if not always such a cohesive narrative.

There really isn't a market left for Bubblegum Crisis, either in Japan or here. It was clearly an experimental work in many ways, and while it helped nurture the early American fandom for anime, it's such a niche title now that there's hardly a profit to be made by it. Japan's likely all but forgotten about it. In America, at least, if a licensor can't forsee making much money from, it's likely that, unless there's a new release, such as a new boxset (I bought the blue BGC boxset when it came out even though I had the pink one), they don't feel a point supplying it to the stores with the more popular newer titles.

I share the ranter's love for Priss Asagiri, though. :D

That lion cub is freaking me out, though. Look at it's eyes!

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sweet Lou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, this new rant system will have its pros and cons, but I think a major problem with it is that people will be encouraged to write just to win a prize. The kind of rants Zac is looking for now are going to come from people who geniunely care about the topic they're ranting about and have something worth our time to say. Not to knock on people who sent in rants this week, I'm sure you all put effort into it. I had been trying to organize my thoughts for a rant and I sent in something I threw together in about an hour for this week's column. That said, I'm not surprised that mine wasn't published. A prize is a good incentive to get the kind of rant Zac is looking for, but I think the real winner is going to come from someone who's writing from the heart, as cheezy as that may sound.
Moros

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:48 am; edited 3 times in total
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Well.. maybe it was a good rant, but just not one that makes him go totally wild?

The baby tiger is cute!!! My kitty did that to me earlier... I couldn't help it, he was about to knock my Rock Lee figure down...

Cosplay: Wear whatever you want!! Wear a thong if you like!! (Well maybe not, it could lead to some legal problems) You could wear nothing but your regular clothes and call you "extra friend #1 in the background of episode 9 during that shopping mall scene." I know I like to sew costumes (not wear them, though) and I really appreciate people who put hard work into them, but just because someone can't sew, or can't afford anything better, doesn't mean they can't have fun. Who says you gotta make your own costume to have fun Smile Enjoy life, eat pocky.

Hmm.. about the Rant, I do miss those old school titles on the shelves as well, but you can always special order them. From what I gather, retail stores usually will only put out what sells and only the latest items (usually the products qualify both of those). I know Best Buy doesn't carry old music and DVDs unless it's re-released in a nice new packaging, or it's something that's considered a classic and sell regardless of how old it is. After a few months of being on the shelf, if it doesn't sell it gets sent back to the main warehouse where it waits to be sold online or sold cheaply to a second-hand vendor (think Ross'). It's just one of those things...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
At the ranter:
Okay, so basicaly...... your upset because they don't stock older series? Things go out of stock, man. Sure you can recomend to someone the older titles... heck, I am defonatly all for that. But you can't expect bookstores to keep stocking them. Alot of them might even be out of print!

Not to mention where the bloody hell are stores supposed to have the room? I'm sorry but new stuff sells more copies period. There are your titles that go against this status quo but not many. So as more and more new releases of ANYTHING FROM ANY SUBJECT come out where do you plan on keeping the older items? Why should a store keep a title from 1996 for example when it hasn't sold 1 copy in the past 8 months? It isn't profitable and despite my personal feelings profitability is what stores and companies go by. Unless of course you want a Blockbuster the size of a Best Buy with that many more rude and incompetent people working there. Most video stores can at least order older titles for you anyway so get over it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
I agree, lots of old anime and manga are inaccessible to a new generation fan like me. Cannot find good classics to save my life.

Only real good way to find them is in Japan, they're always lurking in some second hand store but your problem is if you don't speak Japanese you're going to have a heck of a time trying to follow the series.
I'm with Zac on the issue behind the "hot virgin" high schooler thing. People seem to be taking that and harem anime as something that actually happen in Japan. In all honesty, and to my experience, you're not going to see that, though there are probably some rare cases of good looking girls being a virgin. I wouldn't be surprised.
Moros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:48 am; edited 3 times in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
We must remember that Anime is an entertainment medium, and some fanboys just like having their private (but disgusting) fantasies "entertained", for lack of a better word.

Which is what I think is what some people fail to see over here, because they probably are not informed enough about the Japanese otaku movement.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
I might be totally missing something, but I kind of got the impression from the question about anime girls that the question was directed to your more shoujo female archetype. Yet in Anime girls are always portrayed as innocent, naive, virgins who are always experiencing their first real romantic encounter- Sounds more like a blushy shoujo girl than a sexbomb shounen girl, but I could be wrong. Or it could be referring to both.

I don't think I've ever been to a single manga-carrying bookstore that didn't have at least a couple volumes of Ranma 1/2. Most Borders and Barnes and Noble carry the entire series, although of course a few volumes are often missing here and there. But that happens with any manga. They get bought and haven't been restocked yet.

I agree fans need to check out older stuff. Lately I've been going older instead of reading/watching newer titles myself. However, we can't depend on the anime industry to keep them on the shelf. If there's no demand, they're not going to keep them in print/stock them. And of course they shouldn't be faulted for that I think.
Moros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Moros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
It is unreasonable to expect chain stores and the like to stock old Anime and Manga. Not when the demand for them is low. But there ARE people who want to revive their obsession with Sailor Moon, Gundam 0079 or whatever, and will pay good money for the classics.

Anyone know where people like that can find old Anime and Manga?

Amazon and ebay, mostly.

Basically, think of anyplace that sells obsolete techonology (like LPs, VHS, and NES carts) as a good place to start. And unless you have a specific title in mind, it is going to be hard to find things- they didn't put out hear as much stuff 10-15 years ago, ya know. Very Happy

The Flake made me smirk... simply becuase me and my friends did have Japanese 1-word descriptive nicknames a few years back (I was 'Genki'.) Luckily, we has the sense to keep use mostly to online forums and rpivate discussions, not calling each other across the room or whatever. Plus I got to have jewelry made up with the nicknames for everyone as Chirstmas presents. (Well, almost everyone... there was one guy we never did think up a Japanese word for, so his says 'kanji' in kanji on it. Though he'd appericate the joke. Laughing )
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
I might be totally missing something, but I kind of got the impression from the question about anime girls that the question was directed to your more shoujo female archetype. Yet in Anime girls are always portrayed as innocent, naive, virgins who are always experiencing their first real romantic encounter- Sounds more like a blushy shoujo girl than a sexbomb shounen girl, but I could be wrong. Or it could be referring to both.

Actually, the blushy, innocent girls are very, very common in shonen romance.

My experience with shoujo, is that it tends to be more realistic. The blushy, innocent girls are all 12. When shoujo (or Josei) deals with older girls, it tends to portray them a bit more adult.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6