• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arpeggio of Blue Steel (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
Gunzou's presence is simply circumstantial coincidence and is being given more credit than his efforts would give him due.

Isn't that pretty standard for any harem center? Just because his harem is all battleships... In fact he's really pretty unique in that he has somewhat recruited his harem instead of just helplessly accumulating it. Smile

The situation isn't a straight forward harem as it is a strange love polygon, and arguably Iona is the one at the center of it with Gunzou simply being part of HER harem.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
Damn the scene with Kongou's damaged ship in the rain with the ending song was sad.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Damn the scene with Kongou's damaged ship in the rain with the ending song was sad.

I know, right? I am quite partial to kuuderes like Kongou and seeing her in a miserable and broken state like that is heartbreaking. Poor thing.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
Great episode. Love the battle between the Blue Steel and Kongou's fleet.

Most of this episode is anime original except for the part where Gunzo asks Takao for help.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I don't know why, but it just felt the part running up to the ED and the ED itself felt very well done this time around. Most of all I was interested in the bits of everyone spoiler[telling Kongou that there is more to their lives than being a weapon], and she kept spoiler[sticking by her guns with that they are only weapons]. And as she did we saw cracks of her spoiler[own stoic point of view ]and was getting thrown in spoiler[her face that she indeed has emotions]. It frustrating.

And that end, I took time to listen to the beautiful ED and everything, and that is what happens.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
Oh, I definitely think that episode 9 was the best of the series to date. (Of course, that's not saying much. . .) Good mix of action, strategy, and character interactions.

The only slight disappointment was that spoiler[Iona and Gunzou got completely blindsided by Iona's sister ships. I suppose I can buy that them not being at full crew limited their detection capability, but even so it seems a bit incongruous that the other two were not detected.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
It was established early on that Fleet of Fog Subs are designed specifically to excel at detection (Takao was accompanied by a Fog sub in there encounter with Iona), so when spoiler[Iona made her HUGE escape, it probably made a significant "noise" in the waters, also the subs were relatively close more than likely scouting the area expecting that sooner or later there was a good chance the i401 would be crossing paths in the area to get to North America, combine that with the noise that Iona's ship just made and has depleted most her defenses simply surviving the recent battle... and you get our leads in a dire situation that was more than foreshadowed to the audience.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
counldn't time this any better: an I-400 class sub was finally found in Hawaiian waters a few days ago
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Why does spoiler[Takao have to die? Hopefully now that she fused with Iona, maybe her consciousness will still be there. ] I assume this is anime only since the wikia page has different things.

Also poor Kongou keeps getting hit with bad news. spoiler[First she was relieved as the flagship and now her only ally turned out to be a fake invented by the twins.]
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
counldn't time this any better: an I-400 class sub was finally found in Hawaiian waters a few days ago

I totally meant to post this news last week!

They actually found the I-400 back in August, but didn't make it public until last week.

http://news.yahoo.com/world-war-two-era-japanese-submarine-found-off-161606483.html

The US captured all three I-400 subs at the end of WWII and took I-400 and I-401 to Hawaii for inspection. They were then scuttled off the coast of Oahu to prevent Russia from gaining access to the technology.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10,spoiler[ I am a sap for the near death drama]
and Kongou just went through an "I am not the crazy one" spiel spoiler[while losing her position as head of the Eastern Fog Fleet]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Oh God, Takao. It's obvious her spoiler[feelings for Gonzou is quite real (human) by her actions this episode. As far as everything else goes though, it also seems like Kongou isn't in a good position either given that ending. I wonder what her response will be. I'm hoping for a rebellion and finally side with the humans.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I am not sure whether to say this episode was amazing, sad, or beautiful. Iona spoiler[watching over Gunzou as his life was slipping away] was well done, I think it was the kind of focus we needed to understand her a little better. And then Takao, she spoiler[saw that Iona would sacrifice herself to him in a single pod, and Takao felt.... defeated]. Anyway it felt like a real act of spoiler[love that she then sacrificed her own nanomaterials and mental model to bring back Iona]. The use of music and such during this part was beautifully sad, I thank the series for stirring emotion.

But there episode was not over yet, as good news was that Kongou actually spoiler[looked happy that Iona was back], she was not happy with it ending there. But then things went bad, Kongou was spoiler[told that she could not do what she wanted, had her position removed, being told she was a threat to what she most believed in]. And then the worst hit, she tried to spoiler[make her case and asked Maya for suport], and learned the dark truth, that spoiler[Maya was a fake, something created just to watch her. Kongou was alone and abandoned by everything she believed in].

I liked this.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:20 am Reply with quote
This series...just when I feel like it's steered me away, they put something like this out that pulls me back again.

Can't say enough about this episode. Just awesome. So many brilliant scenes.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
This series has been merely mediocre for most of its run, so the degree to which it has stepped up its game in the last two episode is astounding. If the whole series has functioned at the level that episode 10 is at then this would easily rank as one of the year's best series. I was especially impressed by how they dialed down the music, the tone, and the more extreme character personalities so that the writing could focus on the heart of the matter. Most series which attempt something like this cannot pull it off without seeming formulaic or melodramatic.

There's a lot to like here, but I will still go with my favorite moment being spoiler[Iona finally smiling] towards the end of the episode. It was a very satisfying and meaningful moment, and was set up beautifully well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10