• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to ANN 5.0

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djvenom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:42 am Reply with quote
i not a fan of the new theme myself i like the old theme i hope we can go back to it or have it where the ones who would like to go back to the old theme can go back to it this one sucks lol sorry but it does
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
errinundra & st_owly wrote:
Any chance of being able to opt out of the "Around the web" feature?

It's gratuitous, of absolutely no interest to me, has no relevance to anime and sometimes has images I don't want appearing on my screen at work, however briefly.

We're going to give subscribers the ability to turn it off.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
I know ads are a necessary evil, but can they please NOT take up well over 40% of the entire screen? Not exaggerating either, I measured. Aniplex must be paying you guys bank or something.

What resolution is your screen? It shouldn't look like that. You should have a third column of content, filling the page. That white space on each site of the skin should not be there.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I've just discovered that your co.uk has gone and now only your .com site comes up where I have to select [UK & Ireland] to get on UK site. Was this on purpose then?

You no longer get auto-redirected to .co.uk, but the locale should be automatically set to UK & Ireland the moment you visit.

Going to www.animenewsnetwork.com will automatically set the locale to Ireland & UK.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
xstylus wrote:
I know ads are a necessary evil, but can they please NOT take up well over 40% of the entire screen? Not exaggerating either, I measured. Aniplex must be paying you guys bank or something.

What resolution is your screen? It shouldn't look like that. You should have a third column of content, filling the page. That white space on each site of the skin should not be there.

At the time he wrote that there was a bug causing the homepage to be narrower than it was supposed to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
BinBouGami1234 wrote:
Could some of the old skins be brought back. I like that we can make our own skins now, but I miss my Summer Wars one.

I'll see if we can open up access to the image files from the old skins so that people can re-create them. Unfortunately we can't just give you access because they won't work without being modified (the layout is different).

-t
lem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Any chance of being able to opt out of the "Around the web" feature?..

Anything to get rid of that gawdawful National Enquirer/Yahoo vibe would be much appreciated.

Would it also be possible to bring back the "random" review feature?
Thanks in advance.
thenextday

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I was chatting with a friend yesterday and this happens.
Quote:
<F> did u see the new ANN design
<F> its so awful
<F> i changed some of the settings to make it tolerable
<F> but even then its too much
<F> looks a lot less professional i think too
<F> like they downgraded

This isn't someone who would normally bring up something like this so I was a bit surprised. I'm sure now that there are many others that don't agree with the new design that haven't even thought to post here.
ShaunHastings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Are you guys at ANN serious?? Last week the layout was all squashed up so I only get one column of news alongside your regular articles column, but towards the end of the week it was back to 2 news items + regular columns, so I assumed it was some error.

And now I come back today and it's all squashed up again to 1 news article column + regular article column. This is ridiculous, I can not even see the headlines of the first articles without scrolling down.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Would it also be possible to bring back the "random" review feature?
Thanks in advance.

I brought this up during the Beta period (I can't find my actual post). Hopefully if enough people show interest it could be brought back? I used it a hell of a lot.

Edit - Found the post:

Dan42 wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Is the "Random Fun" box going to be kept? I couldn’t see it anywhere on the beta (I haven’t had a thorough look as of yet).

Ah, it looks like we overlooked that feature. But I don't think we'll be able to bring it back. The new layout uses landscape images for all articles, and we need to select an appropriate image for each article, as littlegreenwolf pointed out. But it's not going to be feasible to go through our reviews archive and adjust the image for each one.

Unless someone knows of software that can automatically find the point of interest in a picture?

Edit 2 - I just noticed that 0 users are shown in the forum:

(Sorry image blends in with the background.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thecritter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
PLEASE get rid of the bold on the article or headline titles. Upping the size and coloring them are fine, but the bolding on top of it makes them harder to read and makes them take up unnecessary space. It's too much emphasis.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Another potential issue: when I loaded the site just now, my view reverted back to Grid View with Images and I couldn't change it to my preferred List View with Images.

Upon refresh, things went back to normal, so I don't know what caused it to happen and it could be a one-time thing. But I figured I would mention it, just in case it's not.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Any chance of being able to opt out of the "Around the web" feature?

It's gratuitous, of absolutely no interest to me, has no relevance to anime and sometimes has images I don't want appearing on my screen at work, however briefly.

Thanks ever so much.

And... I'm getting used to the new layout. Good luck with it.

(I also miss the random review feature.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Another potential issue: when I loaded the site just now, my view reverted back to Grid View with Images and I couldn't change it to my preferred List View with Images.

Upon refresh, things went back to normal, so I don't know what caused it to happen and it could be a one-time thing. But I figured I would mention it, just in case it's not.

This just happened to me again Sad
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Front page layout is still sticking like a greased-up Teflon pan on wet ice.

Latest skin itself is fixed but still requires scroll side-to-side to read and is now affecting the thread list as well. Think I'm going to count that as a solid two-steps backwards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18