• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Freezing (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
Finally had time to set down and watch list last night, and all I could think was - man, are they really going to spend the entire last third of the season on a succession of individual battles as part of this rebellion storyline? They had such a good thing going with actual plot in the first two-thirds of the series, too, and frankly, I am finding the story more interesting than the fights so far this season.

Also was disappointed to see this degenerate into the most blandly stereotypical shonen format imaginable, where the main group is allowed to go on unhindered while one individual stays behind to square off in a mano-a-mano confrontation and kills gross amounts of time in equally bland discussion about what they're going to do. It ultimately felt like the episode did not accomplish much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I've been wondering about this for a while but didn't think much of it until this episode. How the hell did Eli manage to be come number 2 in her year? spoiler[ she needed Andre to slow Charles down just so she could actually hit her and her laser system has a 30 sec recharge.] So how did she kick enough ass in the carnival, where limiters aren't allowed, when everyone is a nimble target with that flaw in her weapon system to reach number 2?

I'll admit, I didn't expect Spencer to spoiler[actually give a shit about Charles]
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
My favorite aspect of the "go on ahead, I'll hold them off here" thing is that the fight that follows is actually completely irrelevant.

Whether or not a dude can do the freezing thing on some chick seems to be completely arbitrary, doesn't it?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So how did she kick enough ass in the carnival, where limiters aren't allowed, when everyone is a nimble target with that flaw in her weapon system to reach number 2?

There is the regional Carnival (ie West Genetics only) and the less frequent international Carnival that is referred to, so pretty much there only a few potential rivals in West Genetics that would be even close to fighting her on the same level as Charles and for the past several Carnivals they have had a non aggression pact with the top contenders with good reason (Hint, one of them would be Chiffon Fairchild).
Also, Elizabeth has twin lazer pew pew power and when at 100% she can have one act defensively and the other act offensively with little effort.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
Chiffon seriously scares me sometimes.

And damn, Elizabeth's Limiter sure is determined...unlike Charle's. Not bad for the latest episode in terms of action I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
I'm a little disappointed that the fights are not as long nor quite as dramatic as in the manga. In the manga Elizabeth spoiler[forced Charles to use Pandora Mode and that forced Andre to use himself up to slow Charles down]. This fight ended much faster. Also the fight with spoiler[Chiffon]? Was more gory.

getchman wrote:
Ok, I've been wondering about this for a while but didn't think much of it until this episode. How the hell did Eli manage to be come number 2 in her year? spoiler[ she needed Andre to slow Charles down just so she could actually hit her and her laser system has a 30 sec recharge.] So how did she kick enough ass in the carnival, where limiters aren't allowed, when everyone is a nimble target with that flaw in her weapon system to reach number 2?

#1-Not everybody is as nimble as the top 5 in the world. Neither are all Pandora's equally physically tough, one hit from Elizabeth's system may be enough to take them down.

#2- Elizabeth's system is more for long range fighting than up close. She can snipe at you from a distance without you knowing. I don't remember if they had this in the first show, but in the manga fighting the Nova controlled pandora she could get pinpoint accuracy on the stigma on their bodies, but she had to get close which put her at greater risk and they could be pretty nimble.

#3- Also there is a compatibility rating with stigmata. The higher the rating generally the more powerful the Pandora (not always). Elizabeth has high compatibility which allows her to do both Accel and Tempest Turn fairly well, most Pandora can only do one or another. I imagine that her strength in those high end skills means she's pretty mobile herself making her hard to hit and allowing her to move away from enemies so that she can then target them from a distance.

I think they might have changed somethings. In the manga I believe that particular lab was shielded and kept Elizabeth's system from receiving coordinates and therefore she had to manually compensate which dropped her accuracy. I believe the extra spoiler[30 seconds she needed in the manga was to use an overcharge type attack to break thru Charles Pandora mode and she needed Charles immobilized to pull it off].

It looks like we lost some details and not just from the fights, because I think Charles backstory was longer, which is a shame.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It looks like we lost some details and not just from the fights, because I think Charles backstory was longer, which is a shame.

It is slightly longer and goes into a "I loathed you even before the shit hit the fan" territory with Elizabeth because she was a prime example of many of the Pandora coming from privileged families.

manga spoler...?spoiler[(the manga hints something that rich families were playing backroom international politics with the limited exotic "heroic stigmata" and those from privilege families would get first crack, saying that your family has yielded "heros that died in the front line against the monsters" probably could get some pull in ranking circles).]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
thanks for the explanations guys, that helped
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
So why didn't Charles just activate Pandora Mode? Did the anime forget that feature or what? Made the fight a little more stupid than necessary.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
So why didn't Charles just activate Pandora Mode? Did the anime forget that feature or what? Made the fight a little more stupid than necessary.

Long story short, it is a "forbidden technique" due to the nature that it might kill the user spoiler[and/or cause the user to become a nova]Andre was more than willing to perform his Limiter counterpart of "Pandora mode" and pretty much it is a pyrrhic victory as Charles points out.

Charles didn't activate hers nor called for her limiter to counter Andre because she would feel like a hypocrite by "going all out in a meaningless fight" and Elizabeth was resigned to her fate knowing that she had made time for Satellizer and the rest.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

Long story short, it is a "forbidden technique" due to the nature that it might kill the user spoiler[and/or cause the user to become a nova]Andre was more than willing to perform his Limiter counterpart of "Pandora mode" and pretty much it is a pyrrhic victory as Charles points out.

Charles didn't activate hers nor called for her limiter to counter Andre because she would feel like a hypocrite by "going all out in a meaningless fight" and Elizabeth was resigned to her fate knowing that she had made time for Satellizer and the rest.

Forbidden technique?Lol I really don't think that's the case at this point. I mean the first season was FULL of fights where pandoras were going into pandora mode against EACH OTHER and oddly enough Satellizer was usually the only person who was punished for it.

Charles is already made more of hypocrite by saying that. She stated in this fight she would do ANYTHING even die if it meant helping her father. So the fact that she would just let herself be defeated when she still could have won really doesn't make any logical sense. Either way I really don't understand why they changed the fight. In the manga she DOES go pandora mode and even though she still gets beat at least the fight made more sense that way.
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Really didn't like how this latest episode played out. The fights were a decent bit longer with more detail in the managa. The fight between Charles and Elizabeth in particular gave Charles' backstory on her position and relationship with Spencer. The anime kind of took away all the build to her character. What annoys me is that it would have been fine and easy to fit in if they didn't force in the brother arc which should have been completely separate and maybe shown as an ova instead. So far the rewrites in this have seemingly only been done to make Satella more important in arc that wasn't supposed to be about her.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Either way I really don't understand why they changed the fight.

Budget and production time, if this series had a bigger budget and even a couple weeks more of production time we could have the most accurate and fantastic looking adaptation, but this is Freezing which has a premise about big titty girls that fight which simply is dime a dozen as far as such series go, so we simply take what we can get regardless how the "real fandom" feels.

And don't even get me started on how the first season had a "different adaptational conclusion" (ugh).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
Ep. 11

The episode just felt too rushed. I wish they had spent a little more time talking about what was happening to the pandoras and I felt that some of the drama was lost when Kazuya was trying to reach Satellizer. I also thought in that scene the explanation was a little cheesy: spoiler["Use your freezing to connect with Satellizer"]. So does that happen with Nova too? I think one extra episode for the season would have helped and maybe so many things would not have felt so abbreviated.

I do hope they don't change the end like they did in the first season to give Satellizer a more prominent role.

I kinda miss the part in the manga where Chiffon tears both of Lana's arms off and everybody loses control of their bodily fluids. And that was with Chiffon taking it easy, talk about a girl who doesn't know her own strength. Speaking of losing limbs, is it just me or does this season seem less gory than the first? I seem to recall Ganessa and Godspeed losing a few arms in the first season.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
Indeed it is less gory and i'm not really sure why. Are they trying to censor things a bit more because people complained about it or something? But considering this episode was somewhat graphic i'm not sure if that's the case.
(shrugs)

i noticed that apparently Luis is present in this final fight with Holy so maybe he'll..........you know......................die?............. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10