• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
Wow, this....this is pretty serious stuff, isn't it? I knew the slug would be red...but I wonder what Manaka said to it? She's kinda confusing me too....maybe she does like Hikari? Maybe ManakaxHikari is the canon couple....they are the main leads after all....o_o Even though Manaka spoiler[cried "Iya!" and pushed him away, this reaction is more often because the girl is startled or confused; not because she dislikes it.] Going by the rules of shoujo manga here, spoiler[it's not uncommon for said girl to throw herself into said guy's arms by the end of the story once she understands her feelings.] And yeah, even though Nagi No Asukara isn't labeled shoujo, between the cutesy designs, the child protagonists, the family bonding and especially the love pentagon drama, it really might as well be. But this series also just keeps you guessing. It's impossible to predict ANYTHING significant; even who will end up with who and I'm normally brilliant at that. Anime hyper

Kaname has always struck me as the most honest and straightforward of the four...so his spoiler[confession] didn't surprise me but it did surprise me it was in this episode. I think he decided to do it because spoiler[if Manaka cannot return to the surface, she can't be with Tsumugu, so she might end up falling for Hikari, which would leave Chisaki out in the cold.]
Lol, Kaname is smart.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Lol, Kaname is smart.

Good thing. With only two nubile females left in the world someone needs to get them sorted out.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Lol, Kaname is smart.

Good thing. With only two nubile females left in the world someone needs to get them sorted out.

Haha true.

I was just thinking about the feast scene and I highly doubt they will be the only 4 able to reproduce. Men can carry on until...*thinks of a way to put the phrase politely*... they get too old for the blood to circulate to certain areas and there seem to be women who are not past the age of conceiving I.e Manaka's mother. To me that scene was more of a drunk mans rambling's but I was wondering if anyone though that statement was more literal?

Last edited by TsunaReborn! on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I'll go with drunk man's rambling to make Manaka freak out. lol
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I got a bad feeling about the spoiler[wedding and festival combination. Akari might actually end up being a sacrifice.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11.

Well, I'm impressed. What tells you this is working is how it turns out all the illogic of the two worlds doesn't matter to the story at all.

Is Akari pregnant?

The fate of the world is going to be decided by this obscure little fishing village? Well I guess it is OK but you would think a news truck would show up.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I got a bad feeling about the spoiler[wedding and festival combination. Akari might actually end up being a sacrifice.]

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that she won't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Although parts are giving the illusion things are looking up, I am with a consensus that something bad is going to happen, and they are setting the pins up now. I don't know why, but spoiler[making Akari the sacrifice] sounds like something tragic is going to happen in connection, I doubt something that happy will happen.

I thought Hikari was like going to ask if he could meet the sea god, maybe the god would be more open to something else rather than Uroko who obviously has a personal interest in keeping the people bringing him offerings.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't the obvious victim of that kind of tragedy be Manaka? I mean, just look at the end of the ending.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Wouldn't the obvious victim of that kind of tragedy be Manaka? I mean, just look at the end of the ending.

I had wondered that as well. You mean where she is falling asleep while sitting, being covered by salt snow and an hourglass running out. That is a foreboding image, but I don't think it means that.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote
In the preview for next ep. was that spoiler[Hikari saying We won't be able to see each other again!? And who was it directed at?]

Well, at the very least it seems we're gonna get more confessions...
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Is Akari pregnant?

If this festival is going to end happily I hope so. I don't think this anime is dark enough, if she is, to let her be spoiler[sacrificed] - if she is going to be. If it is dark enough to go there twospoiler[sacrifices] might be enough to make the sea God reconsider. I though Manaka was going to ask to join Akari when Akari announced what she was going to do at the festival.

I think Akari will be the spoiler[sacrifice] and the second half of the series will be the group trying to spoiler[reconnect her with her true love; the man she was meant to marry on the day of the festival.]

Again this episode had me in tears at a multiple points. I love how everyone is wanting to change and become stronger and better people. I just hope someone ends up with the person they like and I'm still trying to work out what Manaka asked the sea slug. After that moment with Hikari, when they decided they were going to eat, I think she might have asked the slug who she truly liked. Hikari trying to hold back in that scene was so touching; he has become such an admirable character.

Even though the series hasn't finished it is in my top 10... It has been decided Laughing

(Is there an episode next week? Crunchyroll doesn't have a countdown for the next episode, when I checked anyway.)
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Nagi is definitely a surprise love for me this season. I was pretty excited to see it up for steaming today on Hulu with NISA's logo in the corner! Hopefully they will make an official announcement sooner rather than later like with Eccentric Family.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
... might be enough to make the sea God reconsider.

I recall from the dialog that the Sea God isn't making a choice here -- the issue is that he is losing power because he is not being sufficiently worshiped. Presumably by the surface people.

It is also a pretty good bet at this point that the "sacrifice" will turn out to be something you don't expect.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I recall from the dialog that the Sea God isn't making a choice here -- the issue is that he is losing power because he is not being sufficiently worshiped. Presumably by the surface people.
But given that the solution is "everybody goes to sleep," you have to wonder about that. I mean, how much worshiping do hibernating folks do?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 39