• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Adapts Joan G. Robinson's When Marnie Was There Novel Into Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
But will the story be transplanted to Japan?
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
(begins to stutter)

What? I just have to assume the book's that big but...

Ah, long story short, I hope it's a good movie.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote
Makeinu wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:
I only want to see original movies from Ghibli.
If you are implying that a new Ghibli has to be based on an original idea to be worth seeing, then you are being quite silly. Sure, Arrietty wasn't very good, but that has little to do with its being an adaptation when you consider that this was also the case for Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki, Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart.
What was wrong with Arriety? It's not Ghibli's best, but it's still a fun little movie.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:03 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
This book is only published in the UK unfortunately, but if it's going to be a ghibli movie it must be at least a little interesting. Another book that should be published in the us is Duncton Wood, more people should read that. Anyways, I just bought a copy to see what its about (ebay uk had some copies). We'll see how the movie comes out...
It's out of stock in all the book shops I've searched here in the UK, but Amazon's Marketplace has a few used ones. There is the local library where one lives as well. Wink
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Makeinu wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:
If you are implying that a new Ghibli has to be based on an original idea to be worth seeing, then you are being quite silly. Sure, Arrietty wasn't very good, but that has little to do with its being an adaptation when you consider that this was also the case for Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki, Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart.
What was wrong with Arriety? It's not Ghibli's best, but it's still a fun little movie.

By turning Arietty into the usual Ghibli determined/humorless Lil' Nausicaa, it took away the whimsical aspect of Mary Norton's story, ie. that Arietty got into trouble because she was impulsive and curious.
Not bad, but it's easy for a Borrowers adaptation (like the Ian Holm BBC) to start focusing on the "survival" aspect and turning too serious for its own source material.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:18 am Reply with quote
Agent: Miyazaki was asked about Raold Dahl in an official proto-Reddit Q+A, and he cited it as an inspiration for the ghost pilot segment.

koinosuke: I think a Porco Rosso 2 would be more plausible than a Nausicaa 2.
ProsesRoses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The novel is one of the 50 books that Ghibli co-founder Hayao Miyazaki recommended in a list he created for children.

Does anybody have a link to this list (if its ever been published online)? I would love to see it! Miyazaki seems to really prefer children's stories and I'm curious if he has any teen or adult books.
Eishagishi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Does anybody have a link to this list (if its ever been published online)? I would love to see it! Miyazaki seems to really prefer children's stories and I'm curious if he has any teen or adult books.

We have the list over on the GhibliWiki:

http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/50_Children%27s_Books_Chosen_by_Hayao_Miyazaki
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
ProsesRoses wrote:

Here!!

http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/50_Children's_Books_Chosen_by_Hayao_Miyazaki

Once I saw that sentence you quoted in the article, the first thing I did was look this list up! There are a lot on the list I'd never read or even heard of, now I want to make some time to visit each and every one of them.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I know nothing of the novel, but I do know that this excites me on principle. It's kind of rare that the Japanese go beyond their borders to look for something to adapt.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:

I know nothing of the novel, but I do know that this excites me on principle. It's kind of rare that the Japanese go beyond their borders to look for something to adapt.

They actually used to do it more often. Back when they used to engage more with the world, before they lost their confidence due to the Lost Decades.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
This book is only published in the UK unfortunately, but if it's going to be a ghibli movie it must be at least a little interesting. Another book that should be published in the us is Duncton Wood, more people should read that. Anyways, I just bought a copy to see what its about (ebay uk had some copies). We'll see how the movie comes out...

Ghibli must love UK authors given the number of movies based on those books over the past decade (Howl's Moving Castle, Tales of Earthsea, The Borrowers). Wouldn't mind if interest someday brings this book over here just to tie in with the film.

ReverseTitan wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:

Howl, Kiki, Arrietty, Grave, Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart, The Cat Returns, Princess Kaguya and if you want to count Ghost in the Shell Innocence are all adaptations. That is about half of Ghibli's workload. So, yeah, does it matter if it is original or not? Ghibli isn't very original, half of the time.

No different from what Disney has done for the past 80 years (though you do have the one or two original films like Lilo & Stitch).

EricJ wrote:
shamisen the great wrote:
Makeinu wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:

By turning Arietty into the usual Ghibli determined/humorless Lil' Nausicaa, it took away the whimsical aspect of Mary Norton's story, ie. that Arietty got into trouble because she was impulsive and curious.
Not bad, but it's easy for a Borrowers adaptation (like the Ian Holm BBC) to start focusing on the "survival" aspect and turning too serious for its own source material.

Given that circumstances, I wonder what they felt about Brad Bird transporting The Iron Giant to the US during the height of the Cold War?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2