• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Co-Founder Takami Akai Steps Down From Gainax's Board

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoochy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
Oh ho ho! "Putting my face next to anus, and breathing deeply!" I think he is one of my new heroes.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
I kinda find this amusing in the sense that Gainax used to be considered 'the studio that didn' give a flying one.'
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
Don't forget that guys in 4chan stepped into Gainax's blog as well to "defend" Kobayashi, and they're calling the guys in 2ch "dirty Elevens", and thus the silly war of 2ch vs. 4chan! Laughing
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
Wow, internet drama DOES affect the real world!
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
aparently 2ch is a more otakucentric board, and that it is not the same as 2chan which I guess is the giant board with everything and everybody. I think this is funny to. Hahaha, don't mess with Otaku fanboys Laughing
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
It's sad to here that the spamming, destructive criticism and goings on at 2chan finally drove this legendary man to his breaking point. I think he has taken the high road while we know that 2chan will continue to whine and spam and post some of the most gratuitous pictures you will ever see.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
(...) while we know that 2chan will continue to whine and spam and post some of the most gratuitous pictures you will ever see.

Em, are you sure you haven't confused Futaba Channel (2chan) with 2channel (2ch)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jetto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I find all of this amusing because I love Gurren Lagann, but I couldn't help thinking during the 4th episode: "Boy, this looks like ass...."

And then I stumble upon this story. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!!!!

Eh, not really, but I didn't have any complaints about the animation quality until the 4th ep. It looks worse than naruto filler eps. o.o
hara

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
Eh, not really, but I didn't have any complaints about the animation quality until the 4th ep. It looks worse than naruto filler eps. o.o

It was already said that the quality didn't drop but there was just a style change. I actually loved the new style in episode 4 - it all looked very cool and unique.

I am sad that an artistic experiment leads towards the resignation of a Gainax member. I am also worried that Gainax might stop doing experimental stuff in the future because of intolerant otakus.
But I think Akai should have expressed his opinion more politely.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
so the long and short of it is he was removed for pissing off a bunch of nerds. i'm not sure what to think of that.
Jetto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:

It was already said that the quality didn't drop but there was just a style change. I actually loved the new style in episode 4 - it all looked very cool and unique.

Um, If you look at the way they always zoom in on the face, and there is NO background showing when they talk, just a single color (especially Kamina in the begining of the ep), it is definitely a style change, but it looks awfully cheap to me. >_>

Don't mistake though, I still enjoyed the show, just pointing out my opinion on the animation...
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
While the reactions have been exxaggerated on this, about the initial posts of those GAINAX employees I can only say this:

I guess Anno isn't the only one who has problems with ego inside that company.
mako

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
so the long and short of it is he was removed for pissing off a bunch of nerds. i'm not sure what to think of that.

From what I read, I got an impression that many people asked Mr. Akai to stay as a board member as well as a producer of the show, but he wanted to remove himself from those positions.

What I thought was interesting was that it seems the employee who posted the original blog entry received a stern warning but didn’t receive any punishments. (not that I believe they both should receive any punishment)

I got an impression that fans are upset because the employee (not Mr. Akai) sounded like fans were not that important especially when it comes to critiques of the show. (she said something like amateurs shouldn’t talk as if they know what they are talking about.)
MJP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Don't forget that guys in 4chan stepped into Gainax's blog as well to "defend" Kobayashi, and they're calling the guys in 2ch "dirty Elevens", and thus the silly war of 2ch vs. 4chan! Laughing

OMG, link please. I gotta see what's going on when 4chan goes after Mona etc. Anime hyper
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Don't forget the attack on Precure 5. While that wouldn't be resignation-worthy it was a contributing factor.

The complaints on GL ep 4 seemed pretty well founded. They can use whatever excuse they want, but that doesn't change the fact that they went from from sleek presentation and smooth frame rates in the first three episode to lots of poorly animated headshots and a stutteringly slow frame rate in the fourth episode. Even the transformation sequence, which (IMO) should hold the best animation of any series, had some noticeable gaps int he frames. The mouths are especially painful to watch, looked like amateur stop-motion. The show is still watchable, but now it's being carried far more by the story than the mediocre animation. I'd imagine those int he animation industry aren't too keen on the animation changes either. Osamu Kobayashi style works for a series like Beck and Paradise Kiss, but not for a fast paced mecha series. Hopefully he isn't on for other episodes.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2