• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job. (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Fino making ill informed purchases, like a boss. That came to mind since that is apparently her dream, maybe her business ideas would actually make sense then. Who doesn't want to go to a business because there spoiler[was a mimic chest or creepy plant] out the front.

I knew spoiler[Lam was a demon]. And those guys don't see the irony that what they are doing is not really heroic? I am somewhat interested if the series will go something along the lines that a hero does not need to be the RPG cliché.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
while I've enjoyed the show from the start, I do like that we are getting a more focused plot. up until the last couple episodes, the show just didn't seem to be going anywhere.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
ep.11

spoiler[raul telling leon store crew that fino got kid-nap go search for her give they also told lawson girls about it yea lam got so angry at raid doing we're helping raul as well while for fino give raid make her next demon lord give the necklace to her to make it all "best for business".

raul go visit hero school to find fino then "ex-friend" confess & attack raul give they doing for it yea all this for "best for business" yet raul going yea right beat that person now try get fino free yet alla appear give she not part of it but want to slay fino cause her family was whacked by demons.

raid plan this have raul & alla fight each other while trying get 3 head dragon to destroy leon store but the store still ok with yea female manager over-power the dragon with combine magic & calculator.

as for raul vs alla give reasons yet go full charge attack cause both go down yet cause fino with necklace wearing go overload yet raid plan it as well then after fino left give alla going what have i done check on raul going sorry for it yet raul ok give item fino gave him save him.

raid see them both standing give doing all for "best for business" yet raul you're so wrong cause hero is person do right thing who work their best together be pals with everyone type speech.

raid try ball beam them til save by female manager in witch outfit armed with vacuum to handle raid with attacking him with hair dryer, sound speaker, & rice cooker.

while raul, alla, lore, & lam riding old red ship in warp drive on way rescue save fino. ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

So we got to the action, and of course it would be revealed that the whole hero system was corrupt in keeping themselves needed. Raul thought the irony was funny in that he was able to move on now that he knew what he could have become, and he went pretty coolly with a ruler. And while it was tragic that spoiler[happy Fino would turn into that], it still looked cool.

And Seara is also spoiler[practically overpowered with magical items], well she is the boss. *clears throat* Hold a staff meeting, like a boss. Hire the demon lord's daughter, like a boss. Clap strangely, like a boss. Lend out employee to neighbour business, like a boss. Tell of perverted customer off, like a boss. Put workers in swimsuits, like a boss. Beat a spoiler[three headed dragon using a calculator], like a boss. spoiler[Fight powerful demon using a vacuum cleaner], like boss. spoiler[Throw a] rice cooker, like a boss.

So All-A had a spoiler[grudge against demons for killing her family], reminds me of Emilia. But at least she seems to have come to her senses that Fino is not a bad guy, and did not even seem too angry learning that spoiler[Lam is also a demon]. I look forward to the conclusion.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
spoiler[If the heroes had an agreement not to kill the previous demon lord then who actually killed him?]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
This episode really pissed me off. Here we have Raul's long lost friends who have traveled with him for so long not evening caring if they kill him.

I would understand if they just wanted to get him out of the way or try to get him to join them but no they are ACTUALLY trying to kill him. What a bunch of unforgivable dickheads. Not to mention they tried to destroy the store with a lighting dragon which if they were not prepared for it could have killed everyone inside as well.

Seriously if these guys get killed i would have absouletly no problems with it. In the end they are just a bunch of selfish azzholes who this world would be better without.

I'm also not liking All-A here either. Her sudden burst of rage was stupid and not mention really forced. Fino has not shown one bit of hostility towards her. In fact i'm certain she helped her out a few times throughout the series. It's obvious to see she's no threat. But OOOHHHHH DEMONS KILLED MY PARENTS SO ALL DEMONS ARE BAD OOOOHHHH! We saw absouletly NO foreshadowing of this and it's pretty much just thrown in so there can be some internal conflicts.

That fact that it takes her thinking she killed Raul to get her to snap out of it is just........ugh. Had he actually been mortally wounded that's to little to late if you ask me.

@Dusky
Please don't even compare this girl to Emila. Emila had a legit reason to have hatred and distrust against the demon lord. He was directly responsible for her fathers death. And to see him acting like a normal human after you just had a fight to the death with him would cause suspicion for any normal person. She saw NO acts of kindness from him until they were transported to the new world so i think her actions were completely justified.

Here is completely different. Some random demons killed All-A's parents, Fino had NOTHING to do with it. If we add the fact that Fino has been even more human than most of the characters in the show her rage is not understandable nor pitiable.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
Her parents were killed by demons lead by the demon king, her hatred put her through the training to become a hero. Raul kept being strangely set on not letting All-A learn the truth about Fino, in fact it seemed much desperate to prevent her finding out over other characters, which was foreshadowing. Her family were killed by demons, the demon king can control all demons, she learned that Raul was keeping the identity of the demon who could become the next lord secret. She was not thinking exactly well when she felt betrayed, and on opinions of demons that are probably of propaganda levels, not to mention demon culture may seem rather scary since they enjoy some pretty scary stuff.

And yes those guys only cared about themselves, Raul used to be their friend and classmate, but he had betrayed them in not holding out for a heroic career, seemingly moving on. Not to mention the mix of making nice and getting close to the enemy, to standing in the way of what they feel is their purpose.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Her parents were killed by demons lead by the demon king, her hatred put her through the training to become a hero. Raul kept being strangely set on not letting All-A learn the truth about Fino, in fact it seemed much desperate to prevent her finding out over other characters, which was foreshadowing. Her family were killed by demons, the demon king can control all demons, she learned that Raul was keeping the identity of the demon who could become the next lord secret. She was not thinking exactly well when she felt betrayed, and on opinions of demons that are probably of propaganda levels, not to mention demon culture may seem rather scary since they enjoy some pretty scary stuff.

And yes those guys only cared about themselves, Raul used to be their friend and classmate, but he had betrayed them in not holding out for a heroic career, seemingly moving on. Not to mention the mix of making nice and getting close to the enemy, to standing in the way of what they feel is their purpose.

It was never mentioned that she had such hatred for demons. Until now she has mostly only talked about wanting to become a hero with Raul. So that's just an assumption not something that you can say with concrete evidence. Also Raul didn't tell ANYBODY not just All-A about Fino's identity. Why? Because letting people know that a demon was among them wouldn't be a smart idea. It just went on for so long that he never ended up telling anyone. I don't blame him at all for it. Of course he wouldn't let another hero know about the demon kings daughter being present. That's not foreshadowing that's just being smart. The girl with black hair is implied to be a demon as well and hasn't told anyone either till now.

It doesn't make sense for her to distrust him for keeping her identity secret. What exactly has she done besides show kindness towards her? It wouldn't make sense for him to hide her identity because of the fact she would be become the next demon lord. If she really wanted to she could have at anytime. Which makes that reasoning also flawed.

Also for your last statement you realize that these guys are a bunch of hypocrites right? They were working with a demon in this episode (Raid) and they also were working with the demons in order to keep the demon king alive as long as possible. That whole feeling of betrayal is a bunch of nonsense and another poor justification for their actions. If they really just wanted to become heroes they did not need to try to destroy the Leon's store and kill them.

Really i'm pissed that they just turned All-A into a "drama starter". It would have been much better if she had worked with Raul in the beginning. She's already been around Fino and should know better than the other guys that she isn't a threat. Would have been much more realistic and interesting that way.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
spoiler[If the heroes had an agreement not to kill the previous demon lord then who actually killed him?]
The (seems to me) incredibly spoilerish answer to your question is inexplicably given in the ANN Spotlight for this show. The show treats it as a secret, but I guess the producers didn't think it was.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Fino could have been manipulating Raul and the others with a goody two-shoes act? How does All A know for a fact that Fino is actually a good person? Hint she doesn't, so her reaction was reasonable.

Yttrbio wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
The (seems to me) incredibly spoilerish answer to your question is inexplicably given in the ANN Spotlight for this show. The show treats it as a secret, but I guess the producers didn't think it was.

Damn you are right. Although the killer was somewhat mentioned in this episode, as the bad guy spoiler[did say "Seara August, you again?"]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Maybe Fino could have been manipulating Raul and the others with a goody two-shoes act? How does All A know for a fact that Fino is actually a good person? Hint she doesn't, so her reaction was reasonable.

That's very big contradiction you know. If she thought he was being manipulated WHY WOULD SHE TRY TO KILL HIM? That doesn't mean any sense! That would make her trying to kill him even MORE retarded. All-A knows she's a good person because she's actually been around her. Plus i'm pretty sure Fino tried to help her when that air conditioner when crazy too. The other guys not trusting fino is one thing but All-A really doesn't have an excuse. Plus she already KNOWS that Fino isn't a threat and doesn't realize it till she almost kills Raul. What kind of freaking sense does that make?

You people need to stop giving excuses that aren't even plausible for these guys. Their actions are NOT within reason and All-A's revenge was just forced internal conflict. That's all there is to it. Rolling Eyes
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Lol you think people make good and logical decisions when they are angry? She lost her sense to her rage and she got it back when she realized she almost killed him. And once again how does she know for A FACT that Fino is a good person? Just because Fino acted normal when All A was hanging out with her? People do betray their allies/friends and that could have been the case here.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Lol you think people make good and logical decisions when they are angry? She lost her sense to her rage and she got it back when she realized she almost killed him. And once again how does she know for A FACT that Fino is a good person? Just because Fino acted normal when All A was hanging out with her? People do betray their allies/friends and that could have been the case here.

That could be a plausible excuse but it's ultimately NOT what she fights Raul for. It's solely for revenge against someone who had absouletly nothing to do with the death of her parents. You just said she could have manipulated him but she doesn't make any attempts to just to subdue him she actually tries to kill him. Now her trying to kill Fino is one thing but trying to kill Raul the person who has been by her side the most and fought with her through many bloody battles apparently is just as disposable? No that's not justifiable anger at all.

What if Raul had ended up dying? Then what? Would all be well then? It's kind of terrible that it takes killing someone for you to snap out of being a ignorant fool.

If she really thought Fino was just playing a goody two shoes act i really don't know why. She could have taken off with Raul a LONG ago if he was under her control. And given that she is the demon lords daughter it is easily within her power to control an unsuspecting human more than likely. What sense does it make for such a terrible demon to work at a freaking convenience store for several months doing absouletly no harm to anyone? That's reasoning is beyond me. A truly terrible demon would have reeked havoc long ago but apparently that thought never popped in her head.

If that was actually her reasoning (which is isn't) then it's still just as stupid.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Raul was in her way, he was not her target. She was not in a good frame of mind so she would just attack anything in her way. You are trying to look for logical reasoning in someone's actions who was not thinking clearly. She realized everything you are saying when she saw that he spoiler[could have won if he was not using a ruler], and that Fino is not a bad guy.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
My problem is that this is COMPLETELY OUT OF CHARACTER for her. Alright let me make a comparison so that maybe you understand what i'm getting at.

spoiler[Take Date A Live.
Origami is very similar to All-A as far as backgrounds go. Origami's parents were killed by a spirit which is why she is so hell bent on revenge against them. Constantly throughout the series she jumps at the chance to destroy the spirits even ignoring orders and reason. And when she finally meets her parents killer she goes berserk trying to defeat her.]

Considering that she has had this attitude towards spirits the entire time this behavior is perfectly within reason and while it isn't justified it makes sense.

However if you compare that to All-A we have a problem. When throughout the series did she talk about strongly hating demons or that her parents were killed by them? NOT ONCE. Her motivation to kill Fino came out of literally no where. In fact in this episode we find out that she became a hero so that she could kill the demon lord and avenge her parents. Why are we getting this info dump about her character NOW? It's just plain sloppy writing.

Nothing we have seen from her character has implied that she would have a mental breakdown like this. She has shown to be a somewhat shy person around people but she still has a good head on her shoulders. And it's also obvious that she is in love with Raul as well which makes the way this fight went really not make much sense.

Basically some foreshadowing would have made this whole situation easier to swallow. I really don't understand how hard it is to put in a few lines or scenes of her at least talking about her past at some point. It's bad writing to suddenly make a person turn into a hell bent on revenge type and trying to justify it with a sloppily delivered back-story.

Also about the ruler thing. Once again she does not notice that until she thinks she already killed him and sorry but that's too little to late.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6