• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Busters! + Refrain (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
^I too am annoyed by that, yep. That's how you treat little kids when you KNOW you're doing it for their own good but Riki and Rin are not little kids-they are their classmates and their friends, thus should be treated as equals.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10
Kyousuke is spoiler[新世界の神]

So, only anime-viewers, do you think this episode clears up a lot of things? Personally I say no. But we still have some episodes left! Be prepared for more!

The animation is quite in low budget again, I think. I feel very weirded out by how conspicuous the CGs for liquids spoiler[e.g. the blood spurt, the gasoline] and even though it is kind of a spoiler[retelling] in a way, I really wished half of it isn't just clips of spoiler[previous episodes cropped in inartistic way.]

Overall this episode spoiler[didn't move me at all.] I felt much more emotional in the VN, and there was a part I really like from the scenario told from Riki's view and Kyousuke's view, which JC kind of omitted.

spoiler[When Riki met Kyousuke before confronting Kengo, Riki strongly wanted Kyousuke to ease all his struggle, how he wanted Kyousuke to pat him on head. ]
spoiler[Kyousuke also had the same thought, but he couldn't because he knew he shouldn't. In the end Riki managed to hold it back too ](And somehow only this part is shown in this episode).
spoiler[I think it's a pretty good way to tell how Riki and Kyousuke are actually so close that they had the same thought without telling each other about it.] But JC omitted it. How very disappointing.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a lot of reused footages used for the latest episode for. As an anime only viewer, I thought the episode was average. It didn't clear too much but hey, there are still more episodes left so hopefully will be explained better soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 10

And so the truth seems to be that everyone, spoiler[all of the Little Busters, died in a bus accident, and Kyousuke in his dyeing moments has created a world so that the only survivors, Rin and Riki, can have the strength to escape]. It seems to be all of the girls spoiler[died too, they may not have been part of the group originally, but being part of that world and solving their problems was like a gift]. Kyousuke could spoiler[not hold onto them any longer and they all had to slip away, that is a little depressing].

But for a while now I had in mind the Key anime spoiler[Angel Beats], so the spoiler[purgatory like themes] are not too surprising. Unless the tragedy really ramps up somehow, I will not be sure how it will compare to that.

I actually somewhat liked the reused footage, although I would have thought it was more fitting if more stuff happened in this season overall.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Season 2, Episode 10

And so the truth seems to be that everyone, spoiler[all of the Little Busters, died in a bus accident, and Kyousuke in his dyeing moments has created a world so that the only survivors, Rin and Riki, can have the strength to escape]. It seems to be all of the girls spoiler[died too, they may not have been part of the group originally, but being part of that world and solving their problems was like a gift]. Kyousuke could spoiler[not hold onto them any longer and they all had to slip away, that is a little depressing].

This is just what I can discern from the show, I have not played the VN or read spoilers-

It's not that they need spoiler[the "strength to escape", they are the survivors, either thrown to safety or not on the bus, Kyousuke seems to have created the world in order to figure out a way to give them the strength to continue after he, Masato, and Kengo are killed (I don't think the rest of the girls were originally part of their group, they only get to know them and give them peace in the show's world), because he knows they would both dissolve into despair if faced with being the sole survivors. As far I can discern the entire world exists in the short time between the accident and the time they all eventually die. The ones that have disappeared are probably the ones that have passed on. The thing with a fatally wounded Kyousuke crawling to the bus to stop a gas leak seems to be a strategy to preserve the dwindling lives of whoever is dying on the bus (Masato and Kengo in particular) as long as possible, to keep them in the world.
If you remember, that was situation of the students in "the other school" that Rin was sent to, as explained in ep.5. Only two students out of a large group, survived. The depression of the two affected the whole school,]

Was it in this thread or in CR that I've been reading about how spoilerish the OP and ED are? I finally got around to finding versions of them on Youtube and I have to admit that they do seem to explain the point of the series very well, especially the full song version of the OP. Which also tells you why they show it spoiler[at the end of the episode this time]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
spoiler[If you remember, that was situation of the students in "the other school" that Rin was sent to, as explained in ep.5. Only two students out of a large group, survived. The depression of the two affected the whole school,]

I did not even realise that until just now. They put some thought into there.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
Episode 10

So, only anime-viewers, do you think this episode clears up a lot of things?

well, I'm not nearly as annoyed as I was last week when I posted how annoyed I was, but I'm not sure I care. spoiler[A bus accident killing everyone except Rin and Riki] is definitely tragic, but I still don't feel anything beyond "damn that sucks" I guess I should wait to see how this all plays out, but for now I don't feel anything like the I did for the other three Key adaptations, even with the truth finally being revealed
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
I very much liked the artistic way they did recapping with the silhouette of Kyousuke. That's a lot more creative and conveys "memory of this character" a lot stronger than how flashbacks are usually done.

Quote:
Was it in this thread or in CR that I've been reading about how spoilerish the OP and ED are?

Twas this one. The songs are all about grief and despair and how to overcome them and now you know why!
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11
The truth is finally revealed! How's that!?

I watched this episode in 720p but sure I watched it blurry. So blurry.spoiler[Though I think it's much more touching in the VN.] Masato's spoiler[disappearance] was rather plain.

I think this episode is handled very well by JC. In fact I think it's the best episode so far. I like the addition of spoiler[Kyousuke recalling the moments with the other members who have already disappeared.] It's a nice touch.

And of course I really like it when Haruka Kanata plays as BGM. spoiler[The timing is kinda bit off compared to the VN, but I'm okay with it.]

Also, notice how baseball can make your friends spoiler[pass away peacefully with no more regret]? Seems familiar to a certain other Key anime, isn't it? Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
Refrain, Episode 11

A good emotional episode to tie everything together. The spoiler[goodbyes of the] core members of the Little Busters was well done, but I would have liked to have had the rest spoiler[also say goodbye to Rin and Riki]. I am not a blabbering mess, but there are tears, Kyousuke spoiler[breaking down] was a great addition.

In general I have often made note about the animation having a washed out look like everything is a spoiler[dream (kind of got that right)], but everything actually looed alright, certain parts did used this though as an effect.

I wonder how they plan on finishing it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
Good to know a lot of stuff revealed this episode. I didn't cry but the emotions were there. Kyousuke's face said it all ;.;
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
so I've got a question about these spoiler[time loops]. how did they work? was it like Endless Eight: spoiler[a fixed set of time which then repeated itself over 15k times once summer break ended?] or was it something like spoiler[one play through, but with multiple save points with Kyosuke going back to the last available save point when something undesirable happened and we finally reached the end?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
so I've got a question about these spoiler[time loops]. how did they work? was it like Endless Eight: spoiler[a fixed set of time which then repeated itself over 15k times once summer break ended?] or was it something like spoiler[one play through, but with multiple save points with Kyosuke going back to the last available save point when something undesirable happened and we finally reached the end?]

Well the last few episodes have spoiler[started right from the beginning, so I will it is number one, but perhaps part of 2 as Kyosuke implied he started over when things went wrong0]. Although I think that there is a possibility that with spoiler[Kurugaya's arc it was the same day over and over again, possibly because he was having trouble holding onto everyone at that point, so there was no time to start over].
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I think it's implied that it had something to do with his narcoleptic moments. Something likespoiler[ when something was erased he'd return to the waking moment after a narcoleptic sleep.] Like the Yuiko route,spoiler[ everything restarts from the point he wakes up from.]
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I think it's implied that it had something to do with his narcoleptic moments. Something likespoiler[ when something was erased he'd return to the waking moment after a narcoleptic sleep.] Like the Yuiko route,spoiler[ everything restarts from the point he wakes up from.]

No, that's not quite right I think. In the first season if I recall that right, there was a moment when Riki got struck by spoiler[his narcolepsy] in the cafeteria mission. Later he spoiler[woke up] and the day continues normally spoiler[and not restarting], then they had a leftover party.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 32