• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon XY Premieres on Cartoon Network on January 18

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Remastered First Movie? So like a HD version or something?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
All the hours of the day, and CN can't push the movies to a more palatable time than 8:30 AM? Nothing worse than watching "Jingle all The Way" for thr 500th time.

Yes, remastered usually means they've retooled it to fit today's television specifications, after all it did originally come out in 1998.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty cool that the Mewtwo film will be getting remastered.

Although, I'm also really happy that we're getting the prequel to the Genesect film. I never thought that it would be dubbed.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Who's the fudging idiot that thought it would be best for Team Rocket to be comic relief again? And who's the f**king idiot that thought Wobuffet had to come back? They were (much) more respectable villains in Best Wishes, why couldn't they stay that way?
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Who's the fudging idiot that thought it would be best for Team Rocket to be comic relief again? And who's the f**king idiot that thought Wobuffet had to come back? They were (much) more respectable villains in Best Wishes, why couldn't they stay that way?

IIRC, most of the fanbase (and a lot of the fans in Japan) weren't happy with the change (which is why you see the change to comic-relief immediately after the N Arc).

But I'd agree that there should be a mixture of both comic relief and competency.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Honestly?

I kinda think it's time for a new set of reoccurring bad guys. Team Rocket are pretty much good guys at this point. Might as well do a region/season where they're the traveling buddies.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Is no one going to talk about how they're using a new version of the original theme as XY's first theme?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Is no one going to talk about how they're using a new version of the original theme as XY's first theme?

Yeah, see I kind of have a problem with that. Say what you will about 4kids, but when it came to their pokemon themes they knew how to knock it out of the park. The original pokemon theme is so iconic, at what point did the Pokemon Company and all their mediocre glory when it comes to coming up with theme songs for the openings (imo, all their efforts have sucked) think it'd be okay to take the most iconic pokemon theme song and water it down with an underwhelming vocalist? Did they hear the guy that belted that song out originally? This new guy sounds like he's singing it in his sleep Rolling Eyes
NGK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Pokemon XY in its original state, but I'm thinking about introducing my 5 year old nephew to Pokemon franchise when dub version comes out January 18.

Btw, to those who've seen XY in subbed form, is it "clean" enough that it doesn't need "4-Kids" style editing? Laughing
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
Pokemon XY has been a blast in Japanese so far. I watch it every week live and I have to say that it has MUCH better writing than BW ever did. Consistently well-written AND some pretty great animation. Even in filler episodes, they push the limit on their new animation techniques to help add momentum to battles and increase the tension without resorting to the age-old, cheap "panel" techniques.

Add to that the soundtrack and the characters (who aren't defined mostly by their quirks, like Dent and Iris were, with some brief exceptions, in BW), and I'm already feeling invested in it for more than just the animated Pokemon (which was my main reason for watching BW all the way through).
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
@ kakoishii:

So then.... did you also have a problem with "Born to Be a Winner" during the Johto series since it borrowed heavily from the Original Pokemon Theme? Because that was also 4Kids era and sung by David Rolfe and not Jason Paige who sung the original theme.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to watching this dubbed.

I do have a question though, do I need to have completely watched Black and White, before I can watch XY?
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Toddler Naruto wrote:
I do have a question though, do I need to have completely watched Black and White, before I can watch XY?

You do not. Satoshi travels to Kalos again with just Pikachu. The only reason you may want to watch any of Best Wishes!, which would be the latter seven or so episodes of Decolora Adventures then, would be because Alexa does make her first appearance in episode fourteen of DA and travels with Satoshi to Kalos and makes recurring appearances in XY.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited to see XY.
With Serena being said that she met Ash way back in their earlier years, I'm very interested to see how their relation pans out.
Of course, this will be the first season of Pokemon that I'll be watching over on the Internet...
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
@ kakoishii:

So then.... did you also have a problem with "Born to Be a Winner" during the Johto series since it borrowed heavily from the Original Pokemon Theme? Because that was also 4Kids era and sung by David Rolfe and not Jason Paige who sung the original theme.

No, because even though it was a different guy singing it, it still sounded just as good. 4kids knew how to bang out a good theme song, The Pokemon Company has never been able to compare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1