• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I got a bad feeling about the spoiler[wedding and festival combination. Akari might actually end up being a sacrifice.]

I'm afraid of this too.

But right now everyone's so damn cute and optimistic, I can't stand it. (in a good way)

Also Kaname's spoiler["I just confessed my love to your daughter" scene ] was so LOL Anime hyper Normally I don't favor his type of character but he is so awesomely honest and cool-headed, that he is quite likable right now. Well, everyone is. But I also like when characters say things like spoiler["I'm not expecting anything back. I just needed to tell you how I feel because I couldn't hide it any longer."] Lot less pressure there.

Quote:
I had wondered that as well. You mean where she is falling asleep while sitting, being covered by salt snow and an hourglass running out. That is a foreboding image, but I don't think it means that.

Hopefully that image is just meant as a pretty picture and nothing more. I so could not stand to see another "Menma" spoiler[get a tragic end!]

Did someone say NIS licensed this!? AWESOME!! They have lovely releases. Pricey but worth it. I love how they did AnoHana.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:
I recall from the dialog that the Sea God isn't making a choice here -- the issue is that he is losing power because he is not being sufficiently worshiped. Presumably by the surface people.
But given that the solution is "everybody goes to sleep," you have to wonder about that. I mean, how much worshiping do hibernating folks do?

As well as a whole lot of dead surface people - surely with the saltflake falling and the word spreading through the community it won't take long for the word to spread further. I also wonder will a sacrifice be enough if his powers have depleted that much?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12:

Oh so spoiler[Manaka finds out Hikari's feelings for her. She's confused not that I'm surprised. The daughter and father talk was nice I guess this episode. Hikari sure got some style with that flag] though.

Oh and kids are so funny in this series, especially in the beginning there~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DogCaragnafog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
test
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I liked how the usual calm and collected guys, Kaname and Tsumugu, showed emotion in this episode. Kaname was clearly frustrated when he found out spoiler[ Tsumugu took the girls to the city and he was frustrated with the current situation when he put Hikari in a bad position.] Hikari handled it like a boss though. Then Tsumugu showed uneasiness when he had to talk spoiler[with his mom.]

My favorite part of the ep was when Hikari stayed with Chisaki spoiler[instead of chasing Manaka.] It really shows how much he has improved since the beginning.

I just realized that if Manaka loved Kaname, then my quest to find a perfect love square would have been completed Sad.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Edit: duplicate post.

Last edited by Stark700 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

I am not convinced Kaname did the spoiler[right thing, or did it for the right reasons]. It looked like he did it becausespoiler[ Chisaki was going to confess to Hikari], which is a bit of a dirty move, and may have actually backfired, which was good for Hikari to do. At lest it is all spoiler[out in the open] now.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
Well, even though he appears to be so mature, spoiler[in the end Kaname is just a kid with feelings of jealousy and frustration like everybody else.] It made me like him even more. It's really impossible to dislike any of those kids.

Also, spoiler[Akari and her dad finally talking was really touching.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Random observations follow.

My favorite part of the episode is that Hikari's dad didn't come off as the authoritarian buffoon the way he usually does, even though he took a fall in his encounter with the two little girls. That scene was classic -- the girls are more of a dolt than he is.

Did anyone else catch the reaction of the bartender?

The relationship between the surface and the sea people seems to be a resource that has only barely been tapped. I found it fascinating that a sales woman in an obscure kimono shop recognize and pay special attention to a customer with ena.

Apparently there are more children in the sea world than just our four. I guess they just didn't have the budget to draw them all.

The drawing and animation of the flag with the sun behind it should be on the front page of ANN for a month.

On the other hand, the animation came off as really weird at the end there when Manaka was swimming by herself towards the surface. It looked like a hello-kitty icon censoring something.

Is it just me or does it seem there is going to be a race between the hibernation and the ritual? What happens to sea people if they fall asleep above the water?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
I can't blame Kaname in the slightest. He had a good point...spoiler[plus now that's all out in the open, I'm going "halleluia" because I was getting tired of all this "NU, MY CRUSH IS A SECRET!" mindset everyone but Kaname has.]
I feel nothing but "YES, THANK YOU!", towards Kaname right now.

So.........is Manaka spoiler[going to confess to Tsumugu now?] Is he even the one she wants anymore? I partly find the series romance unintentionally amusing because it went literally like:
spoiler[Kaname: "CHISAKI, I LOVE YOU!"
Hikari: "MANAKA, I LOVE YOU!"
Chisaki: "NO, HIKARI, I LOVE YOU!"
Manaka: "I AM SO CONFUSED." *SOB* ;__;]

Anime hyper

Merida wrote:
Also, spoiler[Akari and her dad finally talking was really touching.]

It really was.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Stark700, are you aware that you posted your thoughts about ep 12 twice?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:30 am Reply with quote
Another beautiful episode! The conversation between Akari and her farther had me streaming. I think her farther wants to be at her spoiler[Wedding] but is struggling to admit this with it conflicting with the spoiler[hibernation]. I have a feeling he will attend, possibly go into spoiler[hibernation] during or just after the ceremony. HaruhiToy I caught the bar tender dabbing his tear, very moving.

Hikari in this episode once again showed his maturity and how far he has grown and I'm glad he stayed with spoiler[Chisaki during their chase with Manaka.] I'm pulling for those two! I think Manaka was more confused about spoiler[her own feelings rather than Hikari's after he confessed. I believe her feelings lean more towards Hi than Tsumugu. I hope this isn't the case as again I'm pulling for Hi and Chi.] I'm glad they gave Kaname more of a controversial side, I probably would have done the same thing in his shoes. I'd be spoiler[jealous of Hikari and sick of the others not willing to admit how they felt. I think he just wanted it all out in the open so Chi could essentially be rejected and realise that Kaname is the best option obviously he didn't do this for the right reasons but I don't blame him. ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Stark700, are you aware that you posted your thoughts about ep 12 twice?

Yeah, I edited my other one just now.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13.

You know, after seeing this I find myself wondering, what were they expecting to happen?

Ispoiler[t seems that they wanted the Sea God to do something in some way to save everyone but were completely unprepared for the Sea God to do what the Sea God was supposed to do.

So they sent a girl out as a sacrifice and then got all surprised when the Sea God took her as one and had to scramble to figure out a way around the problem they put themselves in, possibly ruining everything in the process.]

For a moment I thought what I had predicted was about to happen, spoiler[I thought Tsumugu was going to be the "bride"... because it's been my theory that it isn't important that the sacrifice be a girl, as much as it was supposed to be someone from the land who loved the sea and would like to join the underwater world.]

but then, that would have solved everything and there's still 12-13 episodes planned.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

Oh wow, that was brutal. I mean the spoiler[Sea God...being the sea god and bringing that storm. Just wow.]

Poor Akari and Manaka this episode. I'm really unsure how I feel about all this but this was quite the finish for the first half. But seriously, wow. That is all. Next episode won't air for awhile so this is going to be quite a wait....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 39