• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Flamenco (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
as for the girlfriend...

Unknown girlfriend / secret spoiler[paramilitary organization].
I think the lines are easy enough to connect. spoiler[We'll get to know more of the organization's people,] the girlfriend will be among them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Shocked WTF. Just when you thought Samurai Flamenco was as crazy as possible, and then doubles it. spoiler[Revealing that there is actually some evil alien organization, and the government has had an underground hero organization created to take them on]. And as anyone who has watched something like Power Rangers knows, as soon as the spoiler[enemy is about to be defeated they then grow huge, and the team goes into what appears to be ineffective and impractical vehicles with the purpose of fusing together].

Now I can't actually drop it as it has gotten so insane I don't know what it will pull of next. Not that I am groaning at all the clichés and annoyed at the lack of logic. How is it really the same show if they can so dramatically alter the direction?

As for the reveal of Goto's girlfriend, well I bet spoiler[we all did just see her, she is Flamen Pink.] Looks pretty obvious twist to me. That is unless she will be revealed after the assumably next shift where she is actually some sort of alien and Hazama will fight using galaxies.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
Well, apparently aliens read Grampa's notes and have been picking up tokusatsu and sentai anime tv signals and thought it would be entertaining to cosplay it all. When they realized Masayoshi was playing too, they decided to have some real fun and pull out all the stops.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That is unless she will be revealed after the assumably next shift where she is actually some sort of alien and Hazama will fight using galaxies.

You joke now, but when it appears on screen...
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote
I miss when this show was more grounded in reality, with only gorillas with guillotines for stomachs...
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
This is the biggest trainwreck I've ever seen.

However, I just can't stop watching it. I still want to find out who Goto's girlfriend is. And the writers definitely know this. They're hiding her deliberately. Which makes me hope that when she will finally be revealed it will be something big. I can't wait. Anime hyper
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
This is the biggest trainwreck I've ever seen.

The word "trainwreck" is almost too weak to use to describe what Samurai Flamenco did. I propose we use all "galaxy crash" instead, lol.

Ignatz wrote:
However, I just can't stop watching it. I still want to find out who Goto's girlfriend is. And the writers definitely know this. They're hiding her deliberately. Which makes me hope that when she will finally be revealed it will be something big. I can't wait. Anime hyper

When you find out please let me know, as her identity is the only thing in the show I care about anymore.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
^Gotcha. I'll PM you when that happens. Wink
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:45 am Reply with quote
Hey, this is a series where you either get it or you don't, and I don't mean that in the snobby way it's sometimes used, the people who "get it" aren't necessarily any smarter or more wise or whatever, but not everything appeals to every audience, and the audience of people who totally enjoy the current show is different than the audience that would totally enjoy the initial show. But I am entranced.

It's like that episode of Happy Days in Hawaii, where the Fonz got out on waterskiis and jumped over a shark, and then he adopted that shark, and taught it to do tricks from a kiddie pool in the back yard, and then the shark learned to talk, and got his degree in computer engineering, despite a complete lack of not only opposable thumbs, but also non-opposable fingers of any sort, and then the shark learned how to fly and took the Fonz on a tour through time and space, because he was bigger on the inside, an then the shark returned to the time and place of his birth, the big bang, to restart the universe once again.

It's kinda like that.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:55 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
It's like that episode of Happy Days in Hawaii, where the Fonz got out on waterskiis and jumped over a shark, and then he adopted that shark, and taught it to do tricks from a kiddie pool in the back yard, and then the shark learned to talk, and got his degree in computer engineering, despite a complete lack of not only opposable thumbs, but also non-opposable fingers of any sort, and then the shark learned how to fly and took the Fonz on a tour through time and space, because he was bigger on the inside, an then the shark returned to the time and place of his birth, the big bang, to restart the universe once again.

Shocked
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
Well, at this point I'm just trying to just accept that this is where this show is going, inelegant and absurd as it may be, and just enjoy it to whatever degree I can for what it is. But still, it's tough. I feel like a lot of the down-to-earth, sincere emotion and character development went out with reality. Now it's just a lot of overwrought speeches and stuff. Plus, I'm disappointed that Goto seems to be getting pushed to the side, first by Flamenco Girls and now by the Flamengers. We barely even see him and Masa interact anymore. It's also just not all that interesting anymore regardless of direction. It's also flirting with "too dumb to get this dark" territory over the last few episodes. It was nice to see a little bit of comedy too though this episode. This show still feels overwhelmingly like it wants to be a parody or satire. Except it basically forgot the actual jokes.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This show still feels overwhelmingly like it wants to be a parody or satire. Except it basically forgot the actual jokes.

I respectfully disagree,I think that the actual joke of the show is the entire sentai genre.The closest thing I can compare SF is "Shoot 'Em Up",they expose the inherit lunacy behind their genres by following the usual formula found in these genres and then escalating it.It is something similar to what is seen in post-modern works.Besides any show that had villains disrupting all means of communication,so they can show cheesy trailer for their evil organization has to be a satire.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
Well, after settling in "acceptance"-territory, I am actually enjoying the hell out of this insanity. (Am I the only one?)

It's spiraling into something so beyond out of any sort of control, I'm baffled. But intrigued. And, while feeling almost stupidly loyal at this point saying this, I still think things are going to make sense in the end, even though this episode seemed to have had a checklist of cliches, speeches, and insanities to work through. Some had me laughing quite hartd, though, because of their self-awareness.

- "From beyond? What's that?" - It's spoiler[10 billion times stronger] than King Torture. Yupp, not an estimate, but a fact.
- "He's toxic enough to make viruses sick." Laughing
- That screen showing the text "spoiler[brought to you by from beyond]".
- Masayoshi and Goto being at a complete loss spoiler[and not getting their own show anymore], illustrated by their frequent use uf "hu? hu? What's happening" and generel baffledness.
- Masayoshi'sspoiler[/Flamen Red's] music getting cancelled spoiler[by the appearance of the next red one].
- No comment on those vehicles.
- "I'm not ready to let you be red." - "That sounds like something a blue ranger would say."
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
Well i can say without a doubt that i literally hated almost everything about this episode.

We have a bigger organization that was behind King Torture giving him his tech but really it's not like that was a surprise to anyone and even if it was i really don't care since the new villains aren't even interesting in the first place.

The new heroes are also full of cliche tropes that perfectly fit into any generic superhero lineup. I couldn't find myself cracking a smile at any of the references or jokes because it's just so absurdly stupid using so many tropes one after another without any regard for logic or reason. It doesn't help that the cheesiness of the dialogue has increased tenfold.

If the show keeps going on this ridiculous path it'll pretty much have been a waste of potential. There are already enough parodies of this genre but for this show to flip the switch even HARDER to this kind of madness is really jarring to me.

But then again this is an anime original show so with that in mind i have to conclude it's possible that a bunch of people put random ideas into a hat and they just go with whatever comes out Wink
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
Plot nonsense doesn't really bug me. Even the previous arc, ridiculous as it was in plot terms, was still about the characters more than the joke. I will hope that this arc will also go in that direction, because there really isn't any difference between a parody of a sentai show and an actual sentai show at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 28