• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kill la Kill (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Good episode. I liked how we got some spoiler[overly complicated explanation of Ryuko altering the sound], and Mako tries to spoiler[simplify what he saying by saying that it means that she awesome], and Gamagori spoiler[praises her for doing so]. Her and Gamagori are just awesome together, like about her worried that she made him angry, and when he spoiler[complimented her over coolly saying she is an underachiever].

From the looks of it, Nui spoiler[killed Ryuko's father, probably under the order of Satsuki's mother]. I will guess that Ryuko's father was trying to spoiler[fight against Satsuki's mother, which in an odd way will put Ryuko on the same side as Satsuki as she is also trying to fight against her mother]. Nui appears to be the spoiler[family tailor], so I would not be surprised if the clothes she is already wearing are spoiler[made up of life fibres similar to the others. Except master works unlike the Goku uniforms that are perhaps limited imitations from what Nui can actually do].

So I guess we will look forward to next week having Ryuko spoiler[beaten to a pulp, likely since it has not happen for a little while].
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
I agree with those who thought episode eleven was the best so far. Every time the presentation seemd to be running out of steam a new plot hook or device would come along.

The OST for this show has been pretty impressive throughout. The choral sequences during battles are especially effective even if I can't make out what they are singing.

Those spoiler[whiplash marks on Ragyo's back] were pretty disturbing and a reminder that there's a lot more to this show than high-octane battles.

I thought Nui leaning on the text was pretty funny, too. But we are talking about Nakashima Kazuke here. Breaking the fourth wall was a pretty common feature of his Oh! Edo Rocket as well. In one episode of that show a character exclaims that another character "isn't on the website!"
Sajuukkhar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Those spoiler[whiplash marks on Ragyo's back] were pretty disturbing and a reminder that there's a lot more to this show than high-octane battles.

If you look closely, they are actually spoiler[stars, like the ones on the Goku uniforms], and she has spoiler[7 stars on her back] so you know she's got some uber power.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Ryuko still at it.
That Jakuzure sure loved to put on a show..
Mako was as jumpy as usual ^^
So far Matoi is pretty much unstoppable.
spoiler[Sanageyama fight got a bit sidetracked.]
A whole bunch of new characters was suddenly introduced.
Looks like this bunch is much more dangerous than those from school.
An important, shocking revelation came out!
Can't wait to watch next episode.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Agreed DuskyPredator. Good stuff.

Knoepfchen wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I think its kind of obvious that Ryuuko and Satsuki are going to be allies during the 2nd half of the show.

Agreed. I hope the way it's going to happen will be satisfyingly badass.

The spanking of this episode had me twitching a bit. Not that it wasn't fitting what we've seen before, but still.

The fights are fun and enjoyable, but I still hope there's going to be some sort of bigger plot in the second half, some kind of underlying drive to achieve a bigger goal than just finding out who killed Ryuuko's dad. Hopefully this will be achieved with both girls becoming allies and joining forces to strive for whatever it is Satsuki is trying to accomplish.

Same here, I hope they do it good.

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I don't usually pay attention to the OST of anime, but the music during the end was amazing. I really can't wait for the 2nd half. The first half of KLK has been much better than the first half of Gurren Lagann, and the director said KLK would follow Gurren with a better 2nd half.

Yeah, I'm so hyped to continue watching.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Very nice change up. Just when you thought the Ryouko vs the Elite 4 was going spoiler[to play out in linear fashion, they came up with a new wrinkle.]

Visual and aural hijinks continue to impress. Watching this show is like ingesting a huge ball of fun every week.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I foresee a lot of befriending in the next episode
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I seriously wonder when Iori is gonna start doing important stuff.

He wouldn't have been given a unique character design if he didn't matter in some way, and he's who made the Four Devas' Goku Uniforms. But as of now he's been showing like once every 3 episodes for 5 seconds. I'm expecting that spoiler[Satsuki and the Four Devas will team up with Ryūko against Ragyo and Iori will make them new, improved Goku Uniforms] so I hope he starts doing stuff soon.

I'm not saying this because Iori is incredibly hot and I'm a total fanboy for him, obviously.

Oh, and Nui is so gonna kick Ryūko's shit in next episode it's not even funny. Oh man, I haven't been this hype for a while. Is it Thursday yet? ;_;
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Mako is a spoiler[savior tbh. don't think Ryuko would be standing by the end of episode 12 if she wasn't there. Also seems like Satsuki's little plan is revealed. Oh snap.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quote
So this girl just is spoiler[the one who killed her father? That feels like a ripoff. I mean, I'm pretty sure it was clearly shown to NOT be her in the previous episodes that we see fleeing]. But anyway, that was a pretty strong episode. In fact, this show has been getting better and better ever since the start of the naturals election. Bigger fights with more at stake, more meaningful enemies, more complex tactics, and even some solid character development here and there. I'm still not crazy about this show but it is at least trending away from merely tolerable and toward likable.
Sajuukkhar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
So this girl just is spoiler[the one who killed her father? That feels like a ripoff. I mean, I'm pretty sure it was clearly shown to NOT be her in the previous episodes that we see fleeing].

Actually, the killer in the flashback of episode 1 was clearly shown to have twintails and a large puffy dress. It was only after Ryuko became obsessed with Satsuki that the killer's image changed, which it did twice, to be more like Satsuki.

They made it pretty clear Ryuko was warping her memories in her mind based on whoever was her current "big" target, which why they changed the flashback every time they showed it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
WTF is Nui anyway? I have never been too fond of the loli-is-the-ultimate-warrior meme and it makes no more sense here than anywhere else. And it is always disappointing when a character goes from introduction to suspect to culprit all within about 2 scenes.

Nui seemed to have little difficulty in handling Ryuko, no matter how much monster-up Ryuko did.

Satsuki seems to have little difficulty in yanking Nui up short when she wants, at least when she is present.

Based on that I wouldn't think Ryuko has any chance at all against Satsuki.

It would seem that the Elite Four still consider themselves that even without their Goku uniforms. Satsuki doesn't treat them the same as other no-stars either.

And since when has Satsuki ever been concerned about student casualties and general destruction anyway?
J-Dark Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
WTF is Nui anyway? I have never been too fond of the loli-is-the-ultimate-warrior meme and it makes no more sense here than anywhere else. And it is always disappointing when a character goes from introduction to suspect to culprit all within about 2 scenes.

Nui seemed to have little difficulty in handling Ryuko, no matter how much monster-up Ryuko did.

Satsuki seems to have little difficulty in yanking Nui up short when she wants, at least when she is present.

Based on that I wouldn't think Ryuko has any chance at all against Satsuki.

You misread the situation.

Nui is a clothing designer. I'm pretty sure it was stated outright at one point, but if not, the implications are heavy. In a world where clothing are weapons, that means she has the most understanding of how to use and counter those weapons. She's not ultrapowerful, she's just incredibly smart and has an understanding of how life fiber clothing works better than any other character present. The fact she has "Grand" in her title heavily implies that she works directly for Satsuki's mother, meaning she probably made most, if not all, of her dresses. The implication is that she's basically the weapon designer and lead agent of the real big bads of the series, and Satsuki is trying to rebel against them, but can only do so much before putting her plans in jeopardy.

Nui backed off, not because Satsuki was stronger, but because of affiliations and who Satsuki is. There's been no implication that Satsuki's mother has wanted her daughter dead just yet, meaning she isn't allowed to hurt her. More importantly, Satsuki mentions that Nui's motivations were more about spoiler[getting revenge on the professor's daughter for losing her eye] than anything Satsuki's mother ordered, meaning she's out of bounds already in what she has done and isn't in a position where her authority outranks Satsuki's.

Basically, Satsuki and Nui are both trying not to anger Satsuki's mother just yet while moving forward their own goals. They can't kill each other because the other would instantly have a death sentence on them. Nui would be hopelessly outmatched, while Satsuki's army wouldn't be prepared due to realizing there is a huge flaw in the goku uniforms that someone has easily abused. Satsuki's plans for the second half seem to be more about fixing those flaws and preparing her armies for a rebellion, and Ryoku is a means to an end in this whole mess.

spoiler[I liked that Satsuki completely lied about why Nui did what she did in order to get Ryoku to stay focused on her. It's obvious she's trying to keep her around as a controllable assist.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Well I thought Ryuko would fail, but I did not consider the possibility that spoiler[Ryuko would go into a rampage form that makes Naruto's and Ichigo's look pretty tame]. And it was cool, if there is anything like more than a powerful hero, it is spoiler[seeing them lose control in bestial rampage], it even the better part of spoiler[Symphogear].

Some of you seem surprised that spoiler[the one who killed her father really was Nui], but I am really surprised that you did not spoiler[believe her last episode]. I am really interested in where they will take it next as it looks like we are about to get a look at what is going on, and we will see if Satsuki is not the real threat.

Oh, Mako was also a highlight. I loved the bit where she thought she had to explain that loss of blood leads to death, and her response to "right" from Gamagori implying that it was common knowledge was equally funny. She always has her own energy that can differ from everything else and steal the show. And it looks like her and Ryuko have earned Satsuki's respect.

The show is really improving in my opinion, and as long as it keeps away from the creepy parts (which it won't) I continue to actively look forward to watching more. I am even beginning to really like the style.

Also cheered a bit when it was shown Ryuko's father spoiler[took Nui's eye].
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
J-Dark Side wrote:
You misread the situation.

Nui is a clothing designer. I'm pretty sure it was stated outright at one point, but if not, the implications are heavy. In a world where clothing are weapons, that means she has the most understanding of how to use and counter those weapons. She's not ultrapowerful, she's just incredibly smart and has an understanding of how life fiber clothing works better than any other character present. The fact she has "Grand" in her title heavily implies that she works directly for Satsuki's mother, meaning she probably made most, if not all, of her dresses. The implication is that she's basically the weapon designer and lead agent of the real big bads of the series, and Satsuki is trying to rebel against them, but can only do so much before putting her plans in jeopardy.

Nui backed off, not because Satsuki was stronger, but because of affiliations and who Satsuki is. There's been no implication that Satsuki's mother has wanted her daughter dead just yet, meaning she isn't allowed to hurt her. More importantly, Satsuki mentions that Nui's motivations were more about spoiler[getting revenge on the professor's daughter for losing her eye] than anything Satsuki's mother ordered, meaning she's out of bounds already in what she has done and isn't in a position where her authority outranks Satsuki's.

Basically, Satsuki and Nui are both trying not to anger Satsuki's mother just yet while moving forward their own goals. They can't kill each other because the other would instantly have a death sentence on them. Nui would be hopelessly outmatched, while Satsuki's army wouldn't be prepared due to realizing there is a huge flaw in the goku uniforms that someone has easily abused. Satsuki's plans for the second half seem to be more about fixing those flaws and preparing her armies for a rebellion, and Ryoku is a means to an end in this whole mess.

spoiler[I liked that Satsuki completely lied about why Nui did what she did in order to get Ryoku to stay focused on her. It's obvious she's trying to keep her around as a controllable assist.]

A good post. I came to pretty much the same conclusions. One thing I'll add is that I'm still not *completely* convinced that Nui spoiler[is the one that killed Ryuko's father]. IMO, there still exists the possibility that Nui lied about what happened and Satsuki sorta went along with it for her own reasons (namely, to keep Ryuko focused on her). But I admit that this hypothesis has become pretty weak after the current episode.

But the results of Ryuko going berserk were pretty much what I expected. Ryuko may not realize it, but it Senketsu itself has changed very little since the start of the series. The real evolution going on is Ryuko and her perceptions of what she can do and achieve while partnered with Senketsu. It's still my opinion that Ryuko's relationship with Senketsu is fundamentally different than what Satsuki has with her kamui, and probably with that between the other kamui-wearers and their kamui. That Nudist Beach agent seemed shocked when Senketsu was prepared to sacrifice itself to protect Ryuko, and I expect they have a lot of experience on such matters.

Looking forward to the next episode, too bad it's 3 weeks away. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 60