• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Ghost_Wheel wrote:
HoshiNoMiko wrote:

- I still think Digimon was better than Pokemon

Amen, brother. Pokemon had better games, but Digimon was a much better anime.

I actually thought that was the popular opinion Laughing

Here's something a bit on the odd side:

While I would agree that the one piece anime has gone on WAAAY longer than it needed too due to it pretty much becoming a franchise in japan(and quite franky there wasn't a chance in hell Oda could have squeezed that story into a mere five years like he planned), I acctually feel like if the anime stopped right on episode 130 it could have just been it's own thing and got a seperate continuation(not reboot, CONTINUATION) down the line. Hell while one piece is long I honestly think that if you treat each arc or section as it's own season and stop to take a break catching up probably wouldn't be so bad. Its not like anyone said you have to always catch up to something in one go or anything.

On a side note, While I love one piece I do think its somewhat overrated and it becoming a franchise in japan is kind of a bad thing when I really think about it.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
It might be a little long and repetitive (DBZ and Naruto are far worse imho) but if you mean the writing is "sloppy", I really can't agree with that. The plot is pretty air-tight. I can't think of any holes.

Honestly, so many people unfairly hate on Inuyasha, I'm tempted to say "Inuyasha's a good anime" is an unpopular opinion. :/

It is in some ways, isn't in others. The opinion given by HoshiNoMiko is one I hold as well: the plot started well, then began to churn and churn, not really going anywhere. It did this for far too long and after a while I lost all interest in it. I did like the characters, and even the story when it was actually moving along. Kind of a shame, but like a stick of gum, after you chew it for a while, it loses its flavor.

Maybe it just depends on what makes an impression on you, or maybe what you expect from it. I really do not know.
All that I do know is that I did not find Inuyasha to be repetitive. At least no more repetitive than is necessary for a show that requires the good guys to repeatedly fight the bad guys.
I also thought that the plot progressed nicely, aside from the typical filler episodes. Even though those did not advance the plot I liked them enough that they did not diminish my enjoyment of the show.

In my eyes the only problem with Inuyasha was the lack of an ending, and "The Final Act" took care of that nicely.

And, as others have said, I do not think that expressing a dislike of Inuyasha is really an unpopular opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
One of my problems with Inuyasha was that it has a nice start and then after some time it becomes clear Rumiko Takahashi had run out of ideas in the middle and didn't have anything close to a good idea for an ending, which was rather meh, IMO.

The other one is lack of significant character-development or development of relationships. I understand that in an anime for teenagers the main couple is inexperienced and needs a great deal of time to get together, but at least supporting characters could have established more mature relationships or generally something more interesting could have been done with them. In that way there would be more variation and the story would not be so boring.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
I honestly did not find the story boring at all and I think the characters had significant development as well. Sango is probably the only one of the main cast who didn't change that much...but her character wasn't really one who needed to change.
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
I had always been under the impression that anti FMA2003 sentiments were far stronger than anti FMABH sentiments. But perhaps that is because it's very easy to stumble across manga snobs.

Unpopular opinions?
Homura Akemi is a creep yandere stalker on par with Yuno Gasai and Chikane Himemiya.

Kira Yamato did not hijack Gundam Seed Destiny. He naturally became the focus because the story followed Athrun Zala's view of the conflict. The second half was more black and white than the first because Athrun had much less doubt about what was right.

KiriSugu > KiriAsu... Ugh... I feel so dirty writing that.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
...Homura Akemi is a creep yandere stalker on par with Yuno Gasai and Chikane Himemiya...

Perhaps, but with legs like this I'd forgive her most things.

And she suffers, so you gotta make allowance for that.

Hang on... does she actually axe-murder anyone?

(Edit: speaking of creepy, check out the way my avatar is ogling at her.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
And she suffers, so you gotta make allowance for that.

Homura could reduce her suffering by quite a lot if she chose not to fight in high heels. Her ankles must hate her.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
That's straight off to the perfect quotes thread. I agree - it also occurred to me when I watched it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

KiriSugu > KiriAsu... Ugh... I feel so dirty writing that.

I facebook like this statement.
kyocrisis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
What a terrible thread.

Just a bunch of whining and biased opinions.
(I guess all opinions are biased but really, some of this is just terrible).

On topic-------

Kill la Kill is not good.

Am I the only one tired of all this little sister fetishism?

There are too many generic/slice of life anime that revolve around moe and tsundere characters to draw in viewers... somehow.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

Unpopular opinions?
Homura Akemi is a creep yandere stalker on par with Yuno Gasai and Chikane Himemiya.

This reminds me of a dream I had where I was playing this...otome visual novel based off Madoka, where the player (in this case, me) was Madoka and the guys to romance where genderswapped Homura, Kyouko, Mami, Sayaka, and Hitomi.

It's scary how well Homura fits the "crazy abusive yandere boyfriend" type so common in Otoge and she's not even a dude.

Of course, I went on the Homura route in my dream because...Bromura's hot yo.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Uh...not seeing Homura=yandere. Like at all.
But HERE'S a very unpopular opinion:

RitsukaxYuiko is a MUCH CUTER pairing than RitsukaxSoubi in Loveless.
RitsukaxSoubi is f**king CREEPY, not to mention a felony even in Japan. Soubi should have his ass behind bars for child molestation. It really disturbs me that SO MANY fangirls immediately defend the idea of a 21-year-old man sticking his tongue down an abused 12-year-old boy's throat "because it' yaoi".
Then again, there are many pairings in yaoi that have terrible writing; I just find SoubixRitsuka the most wrong. And this is coming from somone whose OTP is fourteen years apart.... so if SoubixRitsuka squicks even me, then that's rather significant. lol

Last edited by Chiibi on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

How? spoiler[She's so obssessed over Madoka it's ridiculous at times.]
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
kyocrisis wrote:

Am I the only one tired of all this little sister fetishism?

Join the club.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

How? spoiler[She's so obssessed over Madoka it's ridiculous at times.]

For a pretty good reason though: spoiler[she's trying to save her life.]
I don't know...when I think yandere, I just think of those selfish, weak girls who are like "IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU, NOBODY WILL" and they're so needy that if their 'love interest' ignores them for one second, they'll go commit suicide or something.
Homura's not like that. She doesn't seem to mind that Madoka has other friends besides her...nor is she perverted about her desires towards Madoka, save the blushing a couple times, if that even counts.
I do believe she 'loves' Madoka but it's not in the creepy way yandere 'love' others. Couldn't someone obsess over a person without trying to make them 'theirs'? I really think the Madoka fandom blows the whole Homura-wants-Madoka-in-bed thing out of proportion. She's not so much obsessed with Madoka herself, but obsessed with spoiler[the idea of saving her and getting it RIGHT for once.]
I'll admit, HomuraxMadoka's relationship reminded me greatly of the movie The Butterfly Effect where a guy desperately tries over and over again to save his girlfriend.
Nobody thought that was creepy. The guy loved his girlfriend so he just wanted her to have a happy, normal life.
Homura loved Madoka so she felt the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 84