• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MentalMachine: banned.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Just FYI, ReverseTitan was put on Moderated status after I looked into one of his reported posts a couple of weeks ago, so anything he says goes through a filter to be approved or not.

His current IP address seems to be dynamic and is shared by various other ANN users, so I can't mark the account a spambot ('cause then all the other accounts would get banned), but Moderated is just as good.

Thanks Tony K!!! But quick question: Is ReverseTitan the same person??? If he is, then he's not going to use the same IP address every time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Hard to say with any concrete evidence. The IP address currently being used has several hundred accounts under it (yours, Zac's, Bamboo's, ikillchicken, Dan42, DerekTheRed, and a slew of others, maybe even as many as a thousand names); whereas Yamada and all those other accounts shared just one unique address. So if he's gone through all the trouble of figuring out dynamic IPs just to troll the forums again, all the more power to him for his enthusiastic, albeit pathetic, efforts.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I'll take that as a "I'm not 100% certain for sure". But if it's the same person, then IP ban is not going to stop him from trolling and causing havoc on the forum. But thanks for (at least) answering my question, and doing something about that person (if it's the same person).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
the guy is in Hong Kong, or so he claims. shouldn't the IP Address be very different than U.S. IP Addresses
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
Yep, you make a very good point, getchman. Unless all those other users went to Hong Kong at some point, which I doubt, then the guy's probably lying.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Yep, you make a very good point, getchman. Unless all those other users went to Hong Kong at some point, which I doubt, then the guy's probably lying.

Well it doesn't matter, he'll used a different IP to get through which mean the IP ban doesn't work. Also is there a software to bypass the IP ban or somehow scramble and probably cloning a random IP address rendering the IP ban useless, is that possible, could our troll be using any of those software to do that??? If I were you, I would be careful, I hope ReverseTitan/MentalMachine/Yamadakun is not a hacker also.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:58 am Reply with quote
Yes, it is possible to mask or change your IP and it is really not that hard to do to be honest. If he's devoted enough to have come back this many times then he'll probably be back again. The ultimate flaw to doing that of course is that if he's coming back to do what it is he likes to do that gets him in trouble, he'll inevitably be caught once again.
My Name's Not Rick!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
So we set up an APB then? be on the lookout for this and that, report immediately, kinda like Proud Asian every time he comes back to spout more westerners cant cosplay bullshit? just a thought
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the Report button comes pretty handy. And Moderated status isn't such a bad alternative to banning. Just keep vigilant, and eventually someone will tend to the problem in speedy fashion.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Yes, it is possible to mask or change your IP and it is really not that hard to do to be honest. If he's devoted enough to have come back this many times then he'll probably be back again. The ultimate flaw to doing that of course is that if he's coming back to do what it is he likes to do that gets him in trouble, he'll inevitably be caught once again.

Some people really do have a sad existence Rolling Eyes
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The bug has been fixed so our mods can keep a better eye on him now anyway, whoever he is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of and looks like I could be correct. Sad

Tony K. wrote:
Yeah, the Report button comes pretty handy. And Moderated status isn't such a bad alternative to banning. Just keep vigilant, and eventually someone will tend to the problem in speedy fashion.

Well that troll can create multiple ANN accounts to get around that (that's what I would do if I was in his shoe). I mean this troll is smart, if he can bypass IP ban, then he can probably bypass the moderated status just by making multiple accounts on ANN. He did it multiple times, nothing can stop him.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
The bug has been fixed so our mods can keep a better eye on him now anyway, whoever he is.

Sweet, thanks Shiroi Hane, that will work for all of us. Smile

But it's not going to stop him from causing trolling havoc on the forum. So as Rick said, be on the lookout, as of now I'll keep my eye out if that person will come back as another users.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well that troll can create multiple ANN accounts to get around that (that's what I would do if I was in his shoe). I mean this troll is smart, if he can bypass IP ban, then he can probably bypass the moderated status just by making multiple accounts on ANN. He did it multiple times, nothing can stop him.

All it takes on my side is 1 click. Once he's revealed himself as a troll, he's put on Moderation, and no one will ever see anything he posts again.. ever. It's that simple.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
I know, but he'll make another account just to bypass that. I can report it everytime but he'll just make another ANN account (probably multiple) to get around that. So yeah, we can put him for moderation everytime he does that, but that troll is smart, he'll probably have multiple account and we have to assume he's reading this thread right now and planning ways to bypass moderation and IP ban.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
If he's that desperate to go through all the trouble of making account after account, that's fine. Point is, it's more work for him, but with very little effort from everyone else to just shut him out. So, no worries.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4