• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madhouse Studio Makes Hanayamata Schoolgirl Dancing TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

And don't say "they aren't yuri fans". They like lesbians, they're yuri fans, you can't pull a No True Scotsman like that.

Uh, straight men being perfectly okay with the idea of two women making out or engaging in sexual activities with each other for their (the man/men) pleasure while not actually approving of homosexuality in general should not be some mysterious new concept. It's the same kind of cognitive dissonant mindsets that result in men angrily shouting "slut!" to women that turn down unsolicited sexual offers. Just because someone jacks off to lesbians occassionally doesnt make them a yuri fan.

Now, certainly some yuri fans may do exactly what you said. I'm sure some do, because straight males are often dumb that way. That does not equate to all or even most of them. It's certainly incredibly unfair on your part to assume that of people here when they have not exhibited that behavior at all.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
grooven wrote:
I might check it out because my friend in japan had daughter's who did Yosakoi dancing. I even asked for a CD of the music from their routine. I think it is a very overlooked area of dance that is really beautiful. I just hope the yuri elements don't overshadow a good story.

"I sure hope the heterosexual romance doesn't overshadow a good story"

>things no one ever says

I mean christ, do you guys not get now homophobic that kind of thing sounds?

"Well, this show looks good, but I'm a little worried the fact that they are lesbians will get in the way"

Thats basically what you are saying.

I don't necessarily think they are displaying homophobia seeing as this isn't actually listed as 'yuri.' I've only seen it listed as such on the image that was posted on this forum, but not in other places. It just seems to be typical subtext to me. There's nothing wrong with being against subtext, especially since it's just another type of pandering/'fan service' and a lot of people feel that that can take away from a story when focused on. I know of homosexual people who are against subtext cause they feel it's fetishizes gay people. Obviously, someone such as that wouldn't want such elements to get in the way cause it bothers them, and that would not make a homosexual necessarily homophobic.

Course this isn't everyone, and certainly someone who is bothered by yuri elements may be homophobic, but I don't think it's fair to jump the gun so quickly on them because they said they wouldn't like yuri elements to be too much of a focus, especially when yuri 'elements' seems to just refer to the current trend of joking or hinting at the girls being gay and not them actually being gay and represented as such.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
I do hope that they balance both the story and yuri/subtext parts so that they come together better. I enjoy close relationships between girls in anime (be it friends or otherwise) but too much of any aspect can detract from the enjoyment of the whole.

I have no problem with Yaoi, but I don't seek it out either. When an effeminate or homosexual male shows up I don't have any particular response to it. Homosexuality isn't offensive to me.

Also, I'm pretty sure that most guys just want to see girls going at it and don't care about the romance. I was pretty sure that the Yuri (as well as Yaoi) genre was mostly about the romance aspect. Of course there are exceptions to that, but I don't think one can define a Yuri fan as merely "wants to see hot girl-on-girl action". To me that's just a fantasy, not an indication to romance preference.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
grooven wrote:
I might check it out because my friend in japan had daughter's who did Yosakoi dancing. I even asked for a CD of the music from their routine. I think it is a very overlooked area of dance that is really beautiful. I just hope the yuri elements don't overshadow a good story.

"I sure hope the heterosexual romance doesn't overshadow a good story"

>things no one ever says

I mean christ, do you guys not get now homophobic that kind of thing sounds?

"Well, this show looks good, but I'm a little worried the fact that they are lesbians will get in the way"

Thats basically what you are saying.

I don't necessarily think they are displaying homophobia seeing as this isn't actually listed as 'yuri.' I've only seen it listed as such on the image that was posted on this forum, but not in other places. It just seems to be typical subtext to me. There's nothing wrong with being against subtext, especially since it's just another type of pandering/'fan service' and a lot of people feel that that can take away from a story when focused on. I know of homosexual people who are against subtext cause they feel it's fetishizes gay people. Obviously, someone such as that wouldn't want such elements to get in the way cause it bothers them, and that would not make a homosexual necessarily homophobic.

Course this isn't everyone, and certainly someone who is bothered by yuri elements may be homophobic, but I don't think it's fair to jump the gun so quickly on them because they said they wouldn't like yuri elements to be too much of a focus, especially when yuri 'elements' seems to just refer to the current trend of joking or hinting at the girls being gay and not them actually being gay and represented as such.

Exactly this, I'm not homophobic at all I didn't intend for to come across as such, I should have worded it much differently. Rivailloli summed up what I was thinking perfectly. I hope it will have an in depth focus on the dancing aspect the way Chihayafuru and Hikaru no Go does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4