• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unbreakable Machine-Doll (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
The fights were pretty good, but yeah it's the rushedness you typically see in light novel adaptations.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Could someone fill me in on what Shoko's deal is? What is her interest in all of this, and why did she want Raishin/Yaya out of it?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
Well, she doesn't want Raishin to die. Though it's not clear why she's showing such concern now and not the numerous other times Raishin's been near death.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, she doesn't want Raishin to die. Though it's not clear why she's showing such concern now and not the numerous other times Raishin's been near death.

Because it is an "unhealthy trend" if your unwitting pawn keeps playing hero far too many people he might actually bite off too much than he can chew before he can confront his vendetta target and/or gain a moral stance and understand going after said vendetta target might not align with his newly acquired morals.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

So my opinion at the beginning of the episode was the butler is spoiler[part human and part doll, so he can puppeteer himself], seems like it might be the case. Can't say that I am not humoured when they bring the misconception of Raishin liking bestiality.

Do people called Charlotte really get nicknamed "Char"? The Japanese seem to think that it is fitting, but it just does not sound right. Neither does "Henri" for Henrietta.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Wow, how many pathetic villain douchebag cliche's can this show pull out? It's entering Medaka Box levels of empty shelled caricatures now. Of course, Medaka Box made its characters that way on purpose...as far as I can tell the antagonists all being slight variations of the same type is just laziness.

"My greatest pleasure is watching others misfortune"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
You say that as if those sorts of people don't exist in real life.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
People are complex, from the most wonderful saint, to the vilest monster.
These guys are stick figures whose two dotted eyes have v's drawn above them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
thank you Alfred
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
I think this guy is in the hospital more than Touma is, and for lesser injuries
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
"My greatest pleasure is watching others misfortune"

Well, to be fair he didn't say that holding a goblet of wine and go AHAHAHAHA afterwords.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
The ending felt a bit lackluster imo. I didn't hate it but felt somewhat empty and unresolved.

The action was okay I guess. I like how they play the OP song when Yaya takes the fight to them. Otherwise, it was pretty standard and the usual comedy of Yaya's jealousy comes in play again. Oh and I didn't see the usual ED song.spoiler[ No maware, maware, maware for the finale?!] Sad

Rating as decent. There are still the special episodes though.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Season is over, I enjoyed it, however I can see how some of the animation choices can be off putting for the taste of some as well as Yaya's overly childish manner of speak being taken as a nuisance.

In retrospect, the series simply clicked for my individual tastes and I enjoy my share of a somewhat steampunk/magitek world where people have committed many a taboo just to further the technology and take the steps to "playing god".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (final)

Some somewhat cool scenes, but not really that interesting for a finale, too much unresolved. This was a harem series, but despite having some interesting things connected, it just felt like a nothing special harem series. I could theorize that it might just be that I have seen so many harem series that they are just not enjoyable to me anymore, but at the same time Strike the Blood has managed to be more interesting. I think it might be a fact of old jokes of the tsundere, the quiet girl, and the girl closest being really into it and getting nothing.

Thinking about it, it felt like the characters had been taken straight from other series and just added powers to make the seem different. Yaya is Akiko from ONIAI. Charlotte is a flat average of the entire long haired small breasted tsundere as popularized by Rie Kugimiya with a slight lean towards Ojousama cliché. And Frey, Well the naivity of Himeka from Oreshura mixed with the moe big boobed accidental fanservice cliché like Mikuru Asahina, and some white hair so we know she is the quiet type with restrained emotion. Okay I could not find specific examples of the later two, but it felt like I had seen them before, and I don't think I should be spending the wee hours of Christmas day trying to look through my folders to figure out who they remind me of. Although of the them Fey was the most interesting, she took me by a little surprise with the fail assassin thing, and accusations against the lead of beastiality was funny. Loki also felt interesting.

There was a strange wash out effect in the style, but getting a good look of how it did felt limited with most quality I could find being rather subpar, which made it a little hard to watch. OP felt standard for the genre, which is not quite a bad thing, and the ED might have felt a little out of place, although probably not too strange of the harem with fan service types. As a rating of the series, I give Decent, as a show with it themes I will watch, but it was by no means special. Sometimes it felt confusing like it was not properly explaining itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6