• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Wins Top Prizes in Newtype Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
For starters, the term anime doesn't exist in Japan. They call their animation, animation. Using a specific term for the animation made in a certain country is something that I find fundamentally problematic, like calling US animation, "yankeemation". I dislike the use of the term anime and I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Animation is an art form that allows an incredible range of artistic expression. Greater range of expression than the fundamentally limited live action film. So I wouldn't say that I love anime, or even animation, just that I love several works done in this art form. I love some works done in live action film, literature, manga, music and animation. It's just another dimension of art/entertainment that I enjoy. The term "loving anime" means almost nothing: it's like saying that if Apocalypse Now is your favorite movie you are a lover of US movies. However, it's true that only in Japan it appears that animation has fully developed as an art form being used in all ways imaginable while in the west animation is restricted to a small spectrum of genres and so the use of a term such as yankeemation has some validity if compared to anime for all Japanese animation.

And like the Oscars, if your individual opinion disagrees with the average, that's perfectly natural since it's like you disagreeing with the Oscar winners. That does not mean that you are different from Japanese animation fans (animation and not "anime" because this term does not exist in Japan) in the same way you are not fundamentally different from the US film public.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
. The term "loving anime" means almost nothing:

It means I am a fan of Japanese animation, it means a lot to me.

Now just because I am a fan of Japanese animation or anime doesn't mean I love every series or title but I am still specifically a fan of animation from Japan so I think using the term anime makes perfect sense. It's shorter than saying Japanese animation.

Now I also like Russian literature but there isn't a term for that so I just say Russian literature.

Sometimes I like a cultural thing that is more specific such as Italian Neo-realism films.

Being a fan of entertainment that is specifically from a different culture is perfectly valid.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
For starters, the term anime doesn't exist in Japan.

So what?
Most anime fans know that. And the term does exist outside of Japan, which is where the vast majority of us are. By "us" I mean the people participating in the Anime News Network forums.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2