• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Actually it's season 2, episode 11.

Oops my bad. Fixed. So many Thursday shows got me confused.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11

Reasons to be sad: spoiler[Yamada died], and Haruto is spoiler[losing his memories]. Although I am not quite in the spoiler[Shoko camp anymore].

Reasons to be happy: That spoiler[midget finally kicked the bucket], some enemies are spoiler[working with L-Elf] now, Yamada was cool with using the shield. And of course, they finally spoiler[showed the world that the leaders of Dorsian leaders are very likely the real monsters].

Well hopefully the students and the world will realize how big ass holes they were. Akira probably should have spoiler[added in an explanation to what was happening meant], because there would be a lot of confusion.

Some of the space combat looked pretty cool too.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
So since a different Valvrave is kicking the bucket each week would it be safe to assume Akira is going to die next episode? Saki obviously survives (since she teams up with Cain at some point) and since i don't think everything can possibly be wrapped up next episode i'm going to assume Haruto will survive as well (though he'll probably have lost most of his memories).
J-Dark Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
i'm going to assume Haruto will survive

Nope. Look at the ending credits. His death is being forecast louder than L-Elf's love. Plus, it makes a lot of narrative sense, as his karmic punishment for his lies and the price for becoming a full Homo Sapiens Novas (I will use that name forever because it is canon and awesome). However, he'll probably go out giving Cain is big loss. Considering the writer, I wouldn't be surprised by anything else.

Akira is up in the air. I personally hope she survives, since she's my favorite character, but a heroic death would be a perfect cap on her character arc, even more so than the others.

Now I'm wondering if there will be a season three. There's a lot of places you can go after this in the flash forward.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I think it's ironic that spoiler[They're using to their advantage the same thing that got them in such trouble: having the public react to the revelation that the leadership is immortal. I guess you can never go wrong betting on being able to rally people around xenophobia.]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
So since a different Valvrave is kicking the bucket each week would it be safe to assume Akira is going to die next episode? Saki obviously survives (since she teams up with Cain at some point) and since i don't think everything can possibly be wrapped up next episode i'm going to assume Haruto will survive as well (though he'll probably have lost most of his memories).

i though it was safe to assume Akira and Saki i will survive and all the guy pilots will die based on all the flash forwards.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I will be pretty surprised if Haruto survives this. The future scenes gave the sense that the founder of the empire (which I think is pretty clearly Haruto) wasn't around anymore, as Saki spoke of him wistfully.

I don't see Akira kicking the bucket, but this series has pulled some surprises before. Now, her brother dying to protect her, that I can see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I don't see Akira kicking the bucket, but this series has pulled some surprises before. Now, her brother dying to protect her, that I can see.

Wasn't he there in the future? I thought I saw him, or the upgraded space vampire version?

Yeah, Haruto's death sby the end of the series seems more than certain at this point, and the spoiler[vanishing memories] are a much more poetic deathflag than spoiler[Thunder's] "I don't need no defense, I'm so coming back from this" speech. Well, it was fitting for the character, so, no real problem there, I suppose.

Anyway, that was quite a thrilling episode. I also liked how they now used the media to their advantage again. And seeing L-elf back in action andspoiler[ with his comrades was really nice]. I liked how they made sure to give us some nice group shots of them. Cool

I hope Akira won't die next episode, but the way this has been going lately, she's definitely the next on the list. Or maybe one of L-elf's comrades, now that they've spoiler[joined the good guys]?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
I find it possible that Haruto may still be alive in the future. I mean, he's the reason why the Valvraves are powered. If I remember correctly, only Unit 1's pilot's "Holy Spirit" suffers from the crave for runes (which fuels the Valvraves). Considering that Valvrave 4 is still up and running in the future, I believe that's Haruto may be alive in the future unless they found a new energy source for the Valvraves or there's a new pilot for Unit 1. I find the latter unlikely but who knows. Maybe it's Satomi since he's alive in the future as well. I did find his comment about how Saki is a Renjokobi interesting and it had me thinking.

I actually only caught up to the this last night. I had to marathon from the first episode of season 2 and that was a huge pleasure. I may have sacrificed sleep but it was worth. I am very satisfy with the direction the show is going and how it wasn't afraid of spoiler[killing two of the Valvrave pilots. R.I.P. Thunder and Inuzuka.]
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Damn that ending. Felt like an overthetop version of Zeta Gundam's finale spoiler[with so many deaths, lots of super powers in the last battle and even the protagonist suffering mental damage. Only they actually killed Haruto!

It feels like a really sad ending due to the hero not achieving his objective of coexisting with humans.... And yet this is treated like a happy ending. A minute after Haruto's death they jumped to a wedding scene with everybody smiling. I expected Saki and Shoko to have their reactions but the writer really doesn't want to face the consequences of the revolution.

A lot of mysteries were left open such as who are the Valvrave AIs or the little prince.Then they show us a scene with Shoko having become a Valvrave pilot (Haruto's biggest fear became real) and some aliens appear?? What in the? I just stopped caring about the show getting a third season if Haruto and L-11 are gone and instead we would have the girl who sold them to the enemy as protagonist..]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
Finale kinda felt rushed imo.

I mean especially with that ending scene. Shame about spoiler[Haruto and his tragedy there. Was there no funeral for him or something? I mean, he does get a statue figurehead to honor him along with the other heroes who lost their lives.]

Also, did spoiler[Shouko become a VVV pilot? Who exactly is that kid @ the end there? He looks like L-Elf.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
I knew that this would be rushed if they tried to squeeze it all into one episode, and it certainly was… But I enjoyed it. spoiler[Bittersweet endings are usually pretty great in my eyes, because its much more realistic, in life very rarely does everyone get a happy ending. So I think it was fitting that Haruto died, sad, but fitting. He fought all the way to the end, even when he was giving up the very things that made him human.

The epilogue scene was very rushed, I could forgive the actual episode, but the epilogue was the stuff I really wanted to see them delve into! I guess we can assume that the prince is a descendant of A-Drei, and Kreimhild based off of the fact that Saki never refers to the Prince as her son or a descendant.

I feel like 2-3 more episodes describing the epilogue would have been perfect, but I suppose where they ended it was fine. Leaves a lot up to the imagination, which isn’t always a bad thing. I guess we can assume that Shoko, and Satomi (and maybe a few others) decided to become immortal in order to continue fighting for what they believed in. Which was certainly a nice change for Satomi who usually seemed so obsessed with himself, its nice to him trying to help everyone out. (Plus he got married to Takahi! Who expected there to be a marriage in the finale?!)

At least Shoko was able to accept Haruto’s death, I’m sure it destroyed her, but she’s a very strong person, and it was nice to see her still around in the epilogue! Plus we got to see future Akira, what more could you want?! But, L-Elf and A-Drei both died since they couldn’t become immortal….]

Anyway, I really liked this series both the first and second seasons, its unfortunate that the last episode had to be rushed so badly…If they could find a way to make OVA’s of the beginning of the Third Galactic Empire, then it would probably net a 10 from me…

Valvrave was a fantastic show, and I’m certainly going to miss it. spoiler[Haruto Tokishima, gone but not forgotten.]

9/10

Edit: I still want to know who the Golden Seven are… (Unless it’s Saki, Shoko, Satomi, Akira, Haruto, Thunder, Inuzaka… which would make sense…)

[EDIT: Please don't make a whole post that's one big spoiler tag block without giving at least some untagged indication of what it's about. Tags adjusted to solve this problem. - Key]
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
I agree that the epilogue felt rushed. While I disagree that a whole additional episode or two is warranted, I would have liked to have seen at least a couple more minutes. Still, I believe it covered what it needed to cover, and still added in a couple of nifty twists at the end; did anyone really expect that everything would be explained?

Overall, I found the finale very satisfying. I think many of us knew that the ending had to come down to what it did. After all, spoiler[of all the Kamitsuki, Haruto was the one least comfortable with that identity. In a narrative sense, him dying a heroes' death to ensure the future was the only fitting outcome.] Even so, I still found it sad.

And I don't think any more should be made, either. As fun a series as this was, and as interesting as it might be to see future stories about the Third Galactic Empire, I think the story has been told and should stand as is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
Valvrave: I can certainly say that this show is a masterpiece.

spoiler[In the end there was some real explicit recapitulation of the themes the show had been developing implicitly for so long: to lie and withhold information, to ignore a latent problems instead of dealing with them, sows the seeds of disaster.

Even if you survive the war, you often come back broken. A piece of Haruto's childhood literally shatters with each enemy killed. His entire self is lost to violence as he sheds his dignity, his humanity, and even his own self identity to win. He was reduced to an animal, even forgetting the reason for fighting. The soldier is expended by society to further its ends.

I really liked how the revelation of the Dorssian leadership being immortal led to a chaotic revolution. People were being accused of being magiuses, or members of the council, whether they were or not. That's very realistic. It wouldn't happen so cleanly, and misinformation and lack of information would abound as people went on the witch hunts just like they did in the past. The council was overthrown, and ultimately it may have been for the better, but it really did throw the world into chaos, and even after, it took years for humanity to overcome the primitive xenophobia that contributed to the previous state of affairs.

Even so, life goes on. Shoko and the other survivors mourn their dead, but eventually they have to deal with the present and future. Satomi and Takahi get married happily as melancholic music plays to us. Magnificent. Takahi throws the boquet and A-Drei catches it. He looks at Saki. There's the implicaiton for where that kid comes from. Even just this episode she was stating how she still loved Haruto and part of her wanted a blank slate with him over Shouko. But in the end he died, and ultimately she fell in love with A-Drei (the seeds were probably sewn when she was in the child's body, and from when he let her escape)]

This show was great. It had such rich thematic development, great characterization, a very interesting science fiction setting, a very dark tone and subject matter, but with it a really odd sense of humor that resonated well with me. Bravo Valvrave!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

So this was the finale of the rollercoaster that was Valvrave? If I were to make some requests I would say that I would have liked a bit more on some themes that did not feel like they hit their conclusion. For example there was a huge focus on trying to liberate their version of Japan, although I guess in the end making the spoiler[Magius an enemy united all of humanity like freed JIOR]. I also wanted to see Haruto spoiler[to be able to enjoy what he fought for], but in the end he spoiler[used up all of his memories and died, not missing anyone or under the comfort for] what he accomplished.

This all felt a little similar to seeing the hero make everyone believe that he is a dictator and then arrange his own assassination, can we really call it a happy ending. They really rushed through the end and made mention to lifeform 53s, and specific mentions that the ones memorialized were the "first knights", all pointing that there is more tales to come. But there is the chance that the final parts are meant to imply that life goes on, just as Haruto's entire journey about the sacrifices of those that go to war.

A final rating, well I rate the first season as "Good", and this was the conclusion that did not leave it feeling like nothing was really accomplished yet. Well I believe they rose the stakes and managed to make something that held together, but I will rate it Good, I don't handle all the massacre that well.

And why did that spoiler[short guy make it to the final episode]? I spoiler[wanted him dead] from episode one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 32