• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst Manga You've Ever Read

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luv_lucy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
i thought Zettai Kareshi was bad but the worst one hit me last night!
Someone recommened Atashi Wa Bambi and so I took a look!
Boy did i make a mistake....the art was ok but story was really bad!
It kept repeating itself and the girl kept crying!
the ice queen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
worse manga I've read?
-Planet Ladder
-Shaolin Sisters
-Alice 19th

yeah it's a good thing that they're not really well-known, well with the exception of Yu Watase's Alice 19th. I never knew Watase-sensei had it in her to create such a horrible story.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
the ice queen wrote:
worse manga I've read?
-Planet Ladder
-Shaolin Sisters
-Alice 19th

yeah it's a good thing that they're not really well-known, well with the exception of Yu Watase's Alice 19th. I never knew Watase-sensei had it in her to create such a horrible story.

I absolutely love Planet Ladder and Alice 19th. In my opinion, Alice 19th is Watase's best. Planet Ladder, is not without its faults (which I mostly blame of VERY poor translations), but if you cut through to the core of the story, it's wonderful. It's a bit to wrap your head around, but the worlds and characters that Narushima Yuri creates are beautiful and deep. The characters are unlike any others in your typical manga. And the artwork has moments of sheer beauty. If you only read the first volume, I recommend reading the second. It's one of my favorites, and even I didn't like it until I read the second volume.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
the ice queen wrote:
worse manga I've read?
-Planet Ladder
-Shaolin Sisters
-Alice 19th

Oh, I have to disagree with you on that one. Alice 19th is one of her best, IMO. I actually like it better than I do Fushigi Yugi and I adore FY.

If you want a bad title from Watase-sensei then look no further than Absolute Boyfriend. Yeah, I'm reading it. Yeah, I enjoy it while I'm reading it but I certainly will not reccomend it left, right and sideways like I do Alice 19th.
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow - some people have mentioned plenty of manga that I think are great.

As for answering the question, that's hard...I would also say Absolute Boyfriend, now that I've remembered it, but I feel that would be unfair, since I only read a few chapters out of Shojo Beat.

Tenshi Ja Nai was terribly boring; every character was a cliche, none of them were relatable in the least, which made it impossible to feel sorry for them. Not to mention that I swear I've seen identical versions of every character design in another manga before. The only thing I liked was....the back cover art. That's it.

Also, the Digimon manga was absolutely horrible. I'm pretty sure the manga copied its entire plot from the anime, only with huge chunks cut out so that the entire 50+ episode first season would fit into five manga volumes. I realize the Digimon anime isn't exactly a masterpiece, but the manga was so bad (and cheesy - although it did have some funny quotes occasionally), it would bore anyone, whether they're fans of the franchise or not.

Although not the worst manga, I didn't like Kare Kano much, although I did only read volume one. Yukino was annoying, and Arima was so boring and...average. There just wasn't anything special about him that would make me like him.
I'll admit, though, that I'm interested in buying the Kare Kano anime, which improves the one major vice - the artwork. The story had enough draws that I may have bought another volume, if the art hadn't been so distractingly bad.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote
I would have to say Glass Wings. I dont like the way things are written in it. It confuses me and causes me to have to reread the same page over and over again. Confused I only liked the cover art. I think the art inside sucks. Their eyes look horrible. Worst manga ever in my opinion. Oh and it was sooooo boring.
dragoness_crysta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:04 am Reply with quote
Worst ever??? Until now????? In my opinion Hana Kimi.....I didn't like the story at all....
DarkPanta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote
To my mind the worst that I have ever read is Samurai Rising (I don't know if the name is the same in english but this is it in French).

The first volume was interesting, but when I read in the second that the enemy who wanna destroy the earth is raped by someone who is fighting with him, I felt really gloomy.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Saiyo_Chan wrote:

Although not the worst manga, I didn't like Kare Kano much, although I did only read volume one. Yukino was annoying, and Arima was so boring and...average. There just wasn't anything special about him that would make me like him.
I'll admit, though, that I'm interested in buying the Kare Kano anime, which improves the one major vice - the artwork. The story had enough draws that I may have bought another volume, if the art hadn't been so distractingly bad.

I think that the first two volumes were a bit boring, but when it gets to volume three, things start getting interesting. Also in volume four, they introduce Tsubasa, who's one of the best characters.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
Saiyo_Chan wrote:

I think that the first two volumes were a bit boring, but when it gets to volume three, things start getting interesting. Also in volume four, they introduce Tsubasa, who's one of the best characters.

Actually, I felt the opposite. I enjoyed it up til about volume 4, and after volume 5 I didn't even want to read it any more. I found Tsubasa rather annoying, actually. And she was part of the reason I have yet to continue the series.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
CloverKuroba wrote:
Saiyo_Chan wrote:

Actually, I felt the opposite. I enjoyed it up til about volume 4, and after volume 5 I didn't even want to read it any more. I found Tsubasa rather annoying, actually. And she was part of the reason I have yet to continue the series.

*Shrugs* I actually thought it got a little more interesting, with Yukino standing up to Maho and stuff like that. Perhaps, I like melodrama a bit too much. And I like Tsubasa, just because she's so quirky.
htomsirveaux

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
i hated death note, don't know why people love it so much
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
*Shrugs* I actually thought it got a little more interesting, with Yukino standing up to Maho and stuff like that. Perhaps, I like melodrama a bit too much. And I like Tsubasa, just because she's so quirky.

I tend to really like quirky characters, but I just thought she was childish and stupid. And I've thought about picking it up again, but everone has said that about volume 5 is where it gets good. But to each their own I guess.
oslapedo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote
htomsirveaux wrote:
i hated death note, don't know why people love it so much

Same. It's clogged up with dialogue, and it has a plot that goes in circles. The art is good though, but there are so many words floating around, covering the art, that it's hard to enjoy.
Besides,spoiler[after L gets killed in vol. 7, Death Note gets really retarded. Near and Mello are like, the least likable characters ever.]
the ice queen

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
the ice queen wrote:
worse manga I've read?
-Planet Ladder
-Shaolin Sisters
-Alice 19th

Oh, I have to disagree with you on that one. Alice 19th is one of her best, IMO. I actually like it better than I do Fushigi Yugi and I adore FY.

If you want a bad title from Watase-sensei then look no further than Absolute Boyfriend. Yeah, I'm reading it. Yeah, I enjoy it while I'm reading it but I certainly will not reccomend it left, right and sideways like I do Alice 19th.

ok ok yeah, I have to agree absolute boyfriend is pretty bad, nothing but a rip-off from Chobits but still I think Ayashi no Ceres is by far her best, along with FY Genbu Kaiden.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 21