• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - April 27th - May 4th

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
oslapedo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
What is the point of AS having anime in the first place? When the screen was all black and it said '1 year later' (or something like that) and then just cut to the ending song I was like, "WTF??? ITS OVER?!" Then I went on YouTube, watched the Japanese version, and saw the epilogue. I wish I had gone on the fix yesterday, I really would have preferred seeing it in english. Ahhhhhhhh, but wow. Totally agreed on AS slumping to new levels of low-ness. That butchered episode ruined the great Eureka 7 finale for me Crying or Very sad

Ah well. How much longer do we have for the dvd? A year...or two? Crying or Very sad ...Lose-lose situation Crying or Very sad
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote
so no sign of new episodes of Eureka Seven or Bleach on YTV then?
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
For those wondering what happened with the final episode of Eureka 7, here's how it goes down.

AS has to trim down the opening & closing to save time (as many of us know), & they do this by having the OP/ED pre-edited. This way instead of editing 100 times (twice for each episode), they only have to do it 8 times (once for each OP/ED). So they have the episodes ready with the OP/ED already taken out, & then slap the appropriate pre-made ones in where they belong. How episode 50 worked was they treated the first few minutes & last few minutes as the opening & closing (which they kinda were, since credits were roling during these times) & put in their ready-made ones. They were probably none-the-wiser about this episode being a special case.

This isn't the first case of this happening either. The same thing happened during the final episode of .hack//Lengend of the Twilight Bracelet. The same thing goes for the reruns of the final episode of Big O. While it originally aired with the ending intact (this was when AS was showing the ending theme in its entirety), consistent airings had the final moments taken out in favor of the ending credits (where they were now shortend & sped up). Another situation is Cowboy Bebop. While for many years AS aired the ending song in its entirety, they eventually gave it the sped-up/shortend treatment. The result being that the next episode previews were now missing. It wasn't because they took them out, but how the pre-made ending credits worked made it impossible for them to be included anymore. Viz does sort of the same thing with Naruto. As some may notice, the dub episodes where the new opening credits begin/end don't exactly line-up with how they were in the Japanese version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:00 am Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
For those wondering what happened with the final episode of Eureka 7, here's how it goes down.

AS has to trim down the opening & closing to save time (as many of us know), & they do this by having the OP/ED pre-edited. This way instead of editing 100 times (twice for each episode), they only have to do it 8 times (once for each OP/ED). So they have the episodes ready with the OP/ED already taken out, & then slap the appropriate pre-made ones in where they belong. How episode 50 worked was they treated the first few minutes & last few minutes as the opening & closing (which they kinda were, since credits were roling during these times) & put in their ready-made ones. They were probably none-the-wiser about this episode being a special case.

This isn't the first case of this happening either. The same thing happened during the final episode of .hack//Lengend of the Twilight Bracelet. The same thing goes for the reruns of the final episode of Big O. While it originally aired with the ending intact (this was when AS was showing the ending theme in its entirety), consistent airings had the final moments taken out in favor of the ending credits (where they were now shortend & sped up). Another situation is Cowboy Bebop. While for many years AS aired the ending song in its entirety, they eventually gave it the sped-up/shortend treatment. The result being that the next episode previews were now missing. It wasn't because they took them out, but how the pre-made ending credits worked made it impossible for them to be included anymore. Viz does sort of the same thing with Naruto. As some may notice, the dub episodes where the new opening credits begin/end don't exactly line-up with how they were in the Japanese version.

i would agree with this, except they never had problems making exceptions before. they showed the final Fullmetal Alchemist in it's entirety.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote
I've always had the feeling that the very end of Wolfs Rain was cut off as well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:23 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Nebs wrote:

i would agree with this, except they never had problems making exceptions before. they showed the final Fullmetal Alchemist in it's entirety.

The entire second half of the final FMA episode was the credits - I don't think it ran over its usual episode length.

AS only has a certain amount of time set for the running of its programs, and it usually doesn't (if ever) run over that time.

Anyone who wants to see what happens "one year later" should buy the DVD, if they're that interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:32 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Nebs wrote:

The entire second half of the final FMA episode was the credits - I don't think it ran over its usual episode length.

AS only has a certain amount of time set for the running of its programs, and it usually doesn't (if ever) run over that time.

Anyone who wants to see what happens "one year later" should buy the DVD, if they're that interested.

people sat through the show for an entire year, i think that's worth something. it's not so much the time issue that bugs me, it's principle of the matter. they do stuff like this, and then they wonder why more people aren't watching.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:43 am; edited 4 times in total
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
Even though you are correct...

The Adult Swim Fix trimmed the OP and ED the same way for all other episodes, and yet it (the Fix) had no problem airing the entirety of the final episode. Just saying.

Nebs wrote:

Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
so no sign of new episodes of Eureka Seven or Bleach on YTV then?

Since MAR is debuting on YTV in June, I would expect both shows (or at least Bleach) to start up with new episodes again by then. There's really no telling, though.
RezSav

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah what they did to E7 sucked, and if Brian doesn't talk about it in his next column, I'm going to be very mad.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:

The Adult Swim Fix trimmed the OP and ED the same way for all other episodes, and yet it (the Fix) had no problem airing the entirety of the final episode. Just saying.

Not quite true. I only caught Eureka 7 on the Fix a couple times during its run, but I distinctly remember seeing some of the closing credits in their entirety. Can't remember if the same holds true for the openings or not. Regardless, this shows that E7 on the Fix was treated & edited differently from its televised counterpart.

As far as FMA being handeled correctly, they were conscious of the fact that it was an exception. This time they probably had no idea E7 had a different OP/ED & it was all a mistake. If you'll recall, one of the earlier episodes of E7 also had an extended ending with the show still going on while the credits ran (it was like ep 25 or 26). At that time they were probably aware of it. This time, they probably just weren't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
RezSav

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Fiction Alchemist wrote:

Not quite true. I only caught Eureka 7 on the Fix a couple times during its run, but I distinctly remember seeing some of the closing credits in their entirety. Can't remember if the same holds true for the openings or not. Regardless, this shows that E7 on the Fix was treated & edited differently from its televised counterpart.

I believe nudity was also left intact for the Fix, no blurs or anything.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:

This argument would hold water if it weren't for the fact that they edited it down MUCH MORE than necessary to be normal broadcast length. They removed roughly 4:25 of actual episode content. The episode, as it appeared on the Fix, uncut, was about 23:50.

What aired on Adult Swim last night ran approximately 20:30. That includes the short versions of the OP and ED that they added (the actual content of the episode was cut down to more like 19:30.

The normal episode of Eureka seveN, with its short OP and ED edited down to fit into the required broadcast time and the next episode preview , runs 22:15 on the air on Adult Swim.

So this episode ran SUBSTANTIALLY SHORTER than even the already edited down for broadcast episodes that they ran the previous 49 weeks.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
Nebs wrote:
Fiction Alchemist wrote:

I believe nudity was also left intact for the Fix, no blurs or anything.

Where was there any room for nudity in the series?

Anyway, after visiting this thread, I went and watched the full beginning and ending of the episode on YouTube. Sucks that they cut it out.

And Brain, there are no games to talk about?! What about Pokémon?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3