• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Winter 2014-The List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
Leave it to ANN to not mention words like yuri, lesbians and in love with in a spotlight about a yuri anime.

though what i am more concerned is that will it even have it for the AS broadcast?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
jet_ wrote:
Leave it to ANN to not mention words like yuri, lesbians and in love with in a spotlight about a yuri anime.

though what i am more concerned is that will it even have it for the AS broadcast?
Maybe they could blur out the kissing or something.

For example

jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
no way. AS definitely wont go that far. though space dandy is supposed to be some kinda offshoot comedy. sure it wont be raunchy as Ghost Stories or Funimation's dub version of Crayon Shin Chan , but dont be surprised of any edits for that series.

Also i really really doubt their gonna even show Sword Art Online Extra, but considering its AS were talking about here, never say never.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
LunarOtaku wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks the English cast of Space Dandy should have been credited in the spotlight? I mean, the English version is coming out simultaneously, even 30 mins before and on TV. That's monumental. Why isn't that highlighted?

Probably ANN can only post the materials they get for these. If the Japanese production people don't send an English cast list - or, if they don't know themselves who the English VAs are - then ANN can't post it. Those seem to be the rules for the spotlight lists.

Anyway, Space Dandy looks great and I'm looking forward to it. And to seeing if 'Boobies' is the greatest anime satire of a restaurant chain ever. Smile
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
wait a min, you think Sakura Trick is going to find its way onto Adult Swim?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
jet_ wrote:

Uhh...Sakura Trick will never in a million years air on Adult Swim
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
OH HEY LOOK NEW SERIES GOT POSTED LET'S TALK ABOUT IT!!

Nobunaga the Fool looks like the 16th century, only IN SPACE!!! With Joan of Arc (d. 1431) for some reason, because I think she is literally the only European heroic female character that Japanese writers know about.

Any thoughts on this one? Miyano Mamoru in the lead role is about the only thing intriguing to me. A lot of people have been exuberantly talking about how many shows they want to see this season, but for me Space Dandy is still the only one that is on my "definitely want to see," thanks to the 10-minute preview I saw.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
From the Nobunaga the Fool page:
Quote:
Animation Director:Hidekazu Sato
(Slayers Next, Basquash!, Fortune Hunter L)

Quote:
Director
Eiichi Sato

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2807903 Both of these should be referring to "Hidekazu Sato" given the sources in the link provided. Also, since he's credited on the site as "監督", I'm guessing both of the tasks should just be "Director"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
OH HEY LOOK NEW SERIES GOT POSTED LET'S TALK ABOUT IT!!

Nobunaga the Fool looks like the 16th century, only IN SPACE!!! With Joan of Arc (d. 1431) for some reason, because I think she is literally the only European heroic female character that Japanese writers know about.

Any thoughts on this one? Miyano Mamoru in the lead role is about the only thing intriguing to me. A lot of people have been exuberantly talking about how many shows they want to see this season, but for me Space Dandy is still the only one that is on my "definitely want to see," thanks to the 10-minute preview I saw.

Just another excuse to re-create the Sengoku period... again. How tiresome, though I guess it's possible that they'll still make it worth watching.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Nobunaga the Fool: I am so very much looking forward to seeing the interactions between Miyano, Sakurai, and Kaji. They seem perfectly cast in their respective parts. Even if it is probably quite ridiculous to look for historical accuracy in a show that puts Jeanne d'Arc and da Vinci in a Sengoku period setting with mecha, I wonder if this Mitsuhide will end up spoiler[betraying Nobunaga] as well. I expect great drama from this one.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Another Nobunaga series? At this point, I almost feel like anime needs a version of The Onion newspaper just to cover stories like this.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Just another excuse to re-create the Sengoku period... again.

As near as I can tell, according to anime, 90% of Japanese history took place in the Sengoku and Bakumatsu eras. Admittedly those were pretty eventful times, but I wouldn't mind seeing more series set during the Heike War, or some of the rebellions under the Tokugawa shoguns, or events in the Ryukyu Kingdom, or the wars that Japan fought in Asia since the Meiji Restoration... actually, scratch that last one, I shudder to think of what might be done with that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Could be worse, there's thousands of dramas and films that are nothing but Sengoku period pieces, regardless of their overlying genre. Almost all of the available Japanese foreign films on DVD are some kind of samurai flick. They just do love that period and focus intensely on it.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Could be worse, there's thousands of dramas and films that are nothing but Sengoku period pieces, regardless of their overlying genre. Almost all of the available Japanese foreign films on DVD are some kind of samurai flick. They just do love that period and focus intensely on it.

To be fair, most of that is because those types of movies are easy to shoot. It's like Hollywood and Westerns a long time ago, you can literally go anywhere with the story and it's easy to shoot because it's like 45 minutes away.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Nobunaga the fool, I sure hope the show doesn't take itself seriously and go full zany with it's setting/character, but it look like they're actually serious about this. I just can't get into this kind of show, every time they'll try to have some drama, I'll just be reminded of how ridiculous the setting is and that'll destroy any tension. Maybe if the fight scene are really really good (and take up 50%+ of the show running time).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8