• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - April 27th - May 4th

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM has hit the problem on the head - this show was cut down more than usual. While my internal clock felt the show ran long compared to normal shows, just cutting the special OP for 50 (a dialog for Eureka) should have taken it safely under the time limit. Instead they cut both the special OP/ED and put in the shortened version they (AS) made for the other episode. There was no need for them to do that, IMO. The special ED has the credits running over it so any potential contractual issues would have been covered. They very clearly decided to chop this episode down where they left other episodes alone Confused

Also, it was clear they cut the end off which really irked me. You can really sense they cut off the show the way they did it. They cut at the 1 Year Later card, which while it wasn't translated was obviously not "the End." The way it was done made me feel like I had smacked into a wall, story wise.

Wolf's Rain did air with its ending intact from what I've read, though I think it was sped up (there may have been some chopped off end credits but that was it). What was missing was five minutes out of each of the last four episodes prologues. That cutting was also bad though IMO not as bad as this. That may be that with the exception of one of the prologues most of it was a series recap (recaps is something WR did well Wink ). Since I bought the series on DVD I need to get it watched and see just what was edited out of it but so far I've not managed to do that.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
So what did AS edit out? I only caught the broadcast version of Eureka 7, and I loved the ending but apparently I missed something.

Also, to whomever asked, AS didn't cut the ending of Wolf's Rain. I have the dvds.
RezSav

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
RezSav wrote:
Nebs wrote:
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Even though you are correct...

The Adult Swim Fix trimmed the OP and ED the same way for all other episodes, and yet it (the Fix) had no problem airing the entirety of the final episode. Just saying.

Not quite true. I only caught Eureka 7 on the Fix a couple times during its run, but I distinctly remember seeing some of the closing credits in their entirety. Can't remember if the same holds true for the openings or not. Regardless, this shows that E7 on the Fix was treated & edited differently from its televised counterpart.

I believe nudity was also left intact for the Fix, no blurs or anything.

Where was there any room for nudity in the series?

On the cover of the book at the beginning of the series.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Who else wants to see Black Lagoon on Adult Swim?
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:
So what did AS edit out? I only caught the broadcast version of Eureka 7, and I loved the ending but apparently I missed something.

Also, to whomever asked, AS didn't cut the ending of Wolf's Rain. I have the dvds.

I'll leave the explaination of what was cut at the start of the episode to someone else (I missed seeing that part on TV) but here's what happened after the "1 Year Later" card (which did air right before they cut to the credits). I'm using spoiler cover for anyone who doesn't want to read this.

spoiler[We see Axel, Renton's Grandfather, eating dinner with the three kids (Maruice, Mater, and Link) at the dinner that we saw Axel and Renton eating in the first episode. Axel is reading the letters out of the package Renton left with Maruice earlier in the episode and commenting that of all of his "children" Renton returned in the end, bringing him three Great Grandchildren. While it wasn't subbed in the AdultSwim.com version I know from seeing sub translations that the papers (which we got a close up on and should be able to read if we were Japanese) list Renton's family registry. It shows when his grandparents, parents, sister and he were born and when they died if that date is known (along with the first names of the grandmother and mother; the fact Renton's mother died the day he was born; and that is his sister listed as missing). It also lists Eureka as Renton's wife and that he has adopted her children (they all have the last name of Thurston now).]

spoiler[Anyway, Maruice asks if they are a burden to Axel (he's taken them out to a big dinner) and he says no and that it's a tradition in the Thurson family that when something big happens that they go eat out at this dinner and that he's happy he has these kids. Then Mater mentions they need to get dinner finished up or they'll miss the moon coming up. So it then cuts to the four of them walking towards a train and running to catch it to go where every they are going for moonrise. We then get a short montage showing post Coralian Earth and it's landscape, as well as we get a panning shot that includes Dominic and Anemone (and I think Gulliver is with them as well) out camping and also watching the moon come up. Then we cut back to the four Thrustons as they climb a hill in a park (which someone over at ASMB says reads "Renton Thruston Memorial Park") to look through some observation telescopes (like you see at National Parks or in buildings like the Empire State Building up on the observation deck) and Axel says that he hopes Renton and Eureka will return home soon. Then we cut to see what they are all coming to view, which is a big heart carved on the moon with two names by them (which I know from the same source that gave me what was on the paperwork that it reads Renton <3 Eureka). It seems the compact seen earlier in the show actually burned that into the moon! Then we cut to some landscape that isn't familer and we start to see blinking lights, which are descending from the sky. Right before we fade out we can see the lights are now on the ground and that there is a outline of two people who are causing the blinking. One of these people has semi transparent wings and is holding the other persons hand. Then it fades to black and a card comes up that says, with a Renton and Eureka voice over - "The End." ]

spoiler[That was the end of the show, though I will note that in Japan the network that aired Eureka Seven posted a pastel crayon art of Axel, the kids, Eureka and Renton together, suggesting that Eureka and Renton did return. However, that isn't on any DVD releases and didn't air on AdultSwim.com either.]

If I've missed anything here I'm sure someone will do additions and corrections Wink .
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
Some people keep saying that Wolf's Rain ending was left intact. In actuality, they did take out the ending of the final televised episode (ep 26, not OVA ep 30) & put in the sped-up normal ending in its place. Basically, the exact same thing that happened to Eureka 7.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:
Who else wants to see Black Lagoon on Adult Swim?

I just rewatched the show yesterday...and man, there's a lot more swearing than I remember. And it's not fansubber bias, they swear in English half the time. I'm all for it being on [as], but jeez, there's gonna be a ton of bleeping.

That said, [as] just had their Upfront, and didn't announce any new anime acquisitions; no Ergo Proxy, no Black Lagoon, no Death Note...I was expecting something...though, Black Lagoon would have to wait til the fall to air since the DVDs need to come out (stupid Geneon). Anyway, who knows what the hell [as] is doing with anime...nothing that makes much sense, obviously...
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:30 am Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
CanSomebodySayMedic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
According to BrandMerill at the [adult swim] boards, [as] will replay the Eureka seveN episode: "Wish apon a star" and its entirety this saturday, go crazy!

--The FZ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, thought that "end" card looked different then usual.

Quote:
and certainly those of you who've been keeping close tabs on the series up to this point would do well to see how this unexpectedly dark yet colorful kid-in-space opera wraps up.

... Exactly as we would expect it to (including the previously posted end-ending.)

Quote:
I guess there's some story here

Too bad they didn't bring enough to share with the class (sorry to break up the theme, please resume CN/AS/E7 bashing.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3