• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Back to the Grind

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
"ADV Films suing Gainax over the rights to the Evangelion Live Action movie that never happened"
Justin, could you please elaborate on this, or share some links? I had no idea this was even a project. And I am interested in why ADV is suing Gainax, over their own property.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Fate/Stay Night blu-ray was HD. I haven't seen it, so I'm not sure.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
"ADV Films suing Gainax over the rights to the Evangelion Live Action movie that never happened"
Justin, could you please elaborate on this, or share some links? I had no idea this was even a project. And I am interested in why ADV is suing Gainax, over their own property.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-08-12/adv-sues-gainax-over-live-action-evangelion-option
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the link. Sadly, I am not smart enough to understand what was written. So, ADV made a deal with Gainax to make LA Evaneglion movies, and Gainax backed out of it. That's all I got.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

It was in the works since 2004, with the special effects handled by Weta Workshop(they did the Lord of the Rings trilogy). There's even a short feature on the Evangelion: Resurrection DVD(Director's Cut of Ep. 21-23) for the live action movie. Supposedly ADV paid Gainax over $122,500 over the years for the rights(even when ADV was falling apart).

Shortly after ADV paid the $100,000 to extend the license, Gainax delayed sending requested materials. Gainax also said the agreement was being changed, which ADV rejected. So ADV right now is suing for the rights for the movie, since Gainax is now refusing to acknowledge ADV has the rights to the live action film.

Link to the story about the lawsuit:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-08-12/adv-sues-gainax-over-live-action-evangelion-option
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to blu-ray upscales, my answer is usually it depends on how important lossless audio is for you. Especially for a show like Gunslinger Girl that was done with 5.1 audio, the difference between the DVD's Dolby Digital track and the BD's TrueHD track are quite extraordinary. I A/B'd them and was quite surprised there was really that much of a difference. The video quality, on the other hand, was practically identical.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I really do hope everything works out with the original Evangelion TV series. I'd love to own it in full, it's one of my favorite anime, and I'm really hoping that someday it will get a re-release on DVD and Blu-ray. I'd prefer if Funimation did it but anyone would do I suppose. It just seems like the most logical conclusion since they're releasing the Rebuild films. If it never does get re-released that would be a true shame, especially considering it's obvious popularity. It would be a huge waste of a fine piece of entertainment, that's for sure.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
So Hideaki Anno is the guy who signs off on those Schick Razor ads that show an alternate version of Rebuild of Evangelion were instead of getting a store brand razor for Father's Day Shinji bought his dad a Schick Hydro 5 Power Select Razor.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I thought Sidonia was an entire season behind when it goes to Netflix, it's supposed to air in Spring in Japan and in Summer for Netflix.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I thought Sidonia was an entire season behind when it goes to Netflix, it's supposed to air in Spring in Japan and in Summer for Netflix.

That was my assumption, too. Its being labeled as a Spring anime everywhere.

http://anichart.net/spring
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Argh, fixing that. My mistake.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I hope someone picks Eva TV series again. I never got around to buy orignal DVDS. Which I regret not buying.

Last edited by AnimenexuS on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
The second part about HD was interesting to read and yeah I do agree with you on what you said.

Also, Justin speaking of HD, I would love to hear your thought (and your input) on Ultra-high definition (UHD) aka 4K/8K resolution. How do you think anime would look in 4K/8K resolution. Do you think anime in UHD would look any better, or is there problem/limitation for anime going beyond 1080p??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
The second part about HD was interesting to read and yeah I do agree with you on what you said.

Also, Justin speaking of HD, I would love to hear your thought (and your input) on Ultra-high definition (UHD) aka 4K/8K resolution. How do you think anime would look in 4K/8K resolution. Do you think anime in UHD would look any better, or is there problem/limitation for anime going beyond 1080p??
I believe it was during an ANNCast that he already stated that, in terms of anime, the extra resolution isn't going to make any difference.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Added to that, there's no real content delivery for 4k at this time, 4k TVs are far too expensive, and the added benefits are minimal when most schmoes cannot tell the difference between DVD and BD to begin with. Applied to anime, most things aren't even close to 1080p as it stands, they'd never to be able to jump to 4k with their kind of budgets and production schedules.

Forget 8k entirely for another decade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5