• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Back to the Grind

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:

Here you go guys: animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-10-25

4K talk starts around 62 minutes

Thanks, very informative hearing that part. Now I fully understand why anime in 4K/8K may not work. I seem to agreed with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Must be from all those annoying doujin "surprises" over the years, but is it just me, or does Nadia look like she might really be a "he" in that photo? Rolling Eyes
Buster D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
configspace wrote:
WRT upscaled BDs from digital material, there is also the technique used for Toradora and the TGLL BDs from what I understand, where the studio goes back to the original pre-composited layers/assets, then scales each and re-renders or re-composite at higher resolution. Character art scales easily with good filtering; and different filtering can be used for different assets. Also, the backgrounds may already be natively in higher resolution.

Yeah, and Lain as well.

Lain was mostly traditional cel/film, only parts of it were digital (the OP mainly).
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
It's already been mentioned but yeah, I doubt 4K would do anything for anime. Not because the resolution is a bust, but because practically no tv anime has even made the jump to 1080p production yet. There's no way they're equipped to go higher.
Which is a tragedy. For me, even 2K/Full HD (1920*1080) is too low of a resolution. It astonished me when I learned that most US TV shows and movies are made at what is essentially that resolution but it blew my mind when I realized that Full HD anime was still pie-in-the-sky for anime companies. It's Japan, it's 2014 and it's content that is ~100% digital...

I had this expectation of Japan being one of 4K's champions but instead it's Peter Jackson and the chinese who are pushing 4K and the Japanese who are still looking up at "2K" in awe and envy.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
When Eva TV does make the jump to BD, I'll be ordering my box from Japan to sir along side my imported rebuild films. I'm not going to wait through the whole new licensing process that it will have to go through. Rather pay than wait who knows how long. The frustration of waiting to own 3.33 finally made me snap and buy up the import copies on Amazon (even brand new I ended up getting all three for quite a sweet deal). As soon as the option of importing became a reality to me I became a lot more impatient.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Must be from all those annoying doujin "surprises" over the years, but is it just me, or does Nadia look like she might really be a "he" in that photo? Rolling Eyes

What photo?
The Answerman article does not have any images. In the picture on the encyclopedia page Nadia looks like a girl to me.
I have seen some futanari Nadia but she always looked female, except for that one "difference."Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
GATSU wrote:

What photo?
The Answerman article does not have any images. In the picture on the encyclopedia page Nadia looks like a girl to me.
I have seen some futanari Nadia but she always looked female, except for that one "difference."Wink

http://i.imgur.com/5WBTP6T.png

Gigantic boner. Laughing
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:

Thanks.
I almost always come directly to the forums and I forget that the front page has images for the articles.

Quote:
Gigantic boner. Laughing

Uh, yeah. Shocked
Definitely does look like a futa Nadia.
Still looks mostly female though.Smile
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
it looks like she's lifting her skirt up, being a tease
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
It's already been mentioned but yeah, I doubt 4K would do anything for anime. Not because the resolution is a bust, but because practically no tv anime has even made the jump to 1080p production yet. There's no way they're equipped to go higher.
Which is a tragedy. For me, even 2K/Full HD (1920*1080) is too low of a resolution. It astonished me when I learned that most US TV shows and movies are made at what is essentially that resolution but it blew my mind when I realized that Full HD anime was still pie-in-the-sky for anime companies. It's Japan, it's 2014 and it's content that is ~100% digital...
Maybe you need to get a smaller screen and adjust your expectations, rather than expecting an entire conservative, low-budget industry to adjust to your equipment and standards. And why does a change in digits on a calendar necessarily mean "studios must now do what I want them to do, or be considered outdated"?
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
When Eva TV does make the jump to BD, I'll be ordering my box from Japan to sir along side my imported rebuild films. I'm not going to wait through the whole new licensing process that it will have to go through. Rather pay than wait who knows how long. The frustration of waiting to own 3.33 finally made me snap and buy up the import copies on Amazon (even brand new I ended up getting all three for quite a sweet deal). As soon as the option of importing became a reality to me I became a lot more impatient.

It's only an option insofar that :

- you collect for the sake of collection and don't care for the dialogue
or
- you speak fluently japanese and don't need a localized US version.

The second option I can understand, the first one no. It's not as if you are collecting art pieces.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

There's been plenty of commentary on how Shinji (Eva) is basically a modified Nadia over the years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

It's only an option insofar that :

- you collect for the sake of collection and don't care for the dialogue
or
- you speak fluently japanese and don't need a localized US version.

The second option I can understand, the first one no. It's not as if you are collecting art pieces.

That's a bit narrow-minded thing to say don't you think?

I don't understand Japanese. Yet I have several imports, of which only a few have included subs (like first season of Dog Days).

It's not like I watch them. That's what rips are for, from other sources.

And I disagree. Sometimes those boxes can almost be like pieces of artwork.
Only problem with those is it's getting a bit crowded in here. And as I'm primarily a figure collector I'd rather reserve the space for those...Confused
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Maybe you need to get a smaller screen and adjust your expectations, rather than expecting an entire conservative, low-budget industry to adjust to your equipment and standards. And why does a change in digits on a calendar necessarily mean "studios must now do what I want them to do, or be considered outdated"?
What reason is there for digitally-created anime to be sub-1080? In this day and age the computing power to do it is ubiquitous. Especially the continually low-detail and low-res CG, which is wholly inexcusable.

Small screen or large screen, Full HD is too low a resolution IMO but watching anime-especially modern anime-that has been either in part of in full upscaled just exacerbates it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
What reason is there for digitally-created anime to be sub-1080? In this day and age the computing power to do it is ubiquitous. Especially the continually low-detail and low-res CG, which is wholly inexcusable.

Small screen or large screen, Full HD is too low a resolution IMO but watching anime-especially modern anime-that has been either in part of in full upscaled just exacerbates it.

So yeah you have no idea how this all works, do you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5