• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Back to the Grind

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
If the "cels" are all the same size, then what is the point of setting them to a higher resolution? If animation rarely has details that minute, why even do it? So it looks better on large displays?

Yes. I'd rather native 1080 than something lower scaled up to 1080, especially when as you say "cels" are the same size so it doesn't matter anyways so why make it worse for the end consumer?

Computational power maybe more but I've done video editing for a living and worked with people doing composting on projects. It's a myth that it's like impossible to work in 1080p. We were doing it like 4 years ago. You don't need some $4,000 PC to do it. Some sub $1,000 Best Buy computer could handle it.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
filmftw1 wrote:
Sentai's release, assuming otherwise, were based upon the HD upscale masters used for the Japanese release. (and yeah, I'm guessing, too, that it's the end credits to blame for making this release 1080i. Could've just reduce the framing to 24fps with deinterlacing to make it 1080p)

To make it progressive, the ED should have be animated at 23.97fps being with to avoid the variable frame rate. If you deinterlace the ED you get 30p, but then what do you do with the episode that's in 24p? The whole thing was telecined so the 24p and 30p parts playback properly together.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Computational power maybe more but I've done video editing for a living and worked with people doing composting on projects. It's a myth that it's like impossible to work in 1080p. We were doing it like 4 years ago. You don't need some $4,000 PC to do it. Some sub $1,000 Best Buy computer could handle it.
Even if we assume off-the-shelf grannyputers could handle it in the timeframes required, there's still the fact that you have to upgrade the entire pipeline to get it done, from monitors(I doubt your Best Buy special could even display 1080, let alone the resolutions needed to have space left for tools), to storage, to the network, to the input(especially expensive if using drawing tablets). Even if you can get the rendermules cheap, the rest is going to cost you an arm and a leg.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote
I remember at a Madman panel a few years ago and one of the questions was about a re-release of the TV show, and the answer was that they have to wait until Rebuild is done before they can get the rights again, so that maybe the reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
vapwaazu wrote:
I remember at a Madman panel a few years ago and one of the questions was about a re-release of the TV show, and the answer was that they have to wait until Rebuild is done before they can get the rights again, so that maybe the reason.

That seems to be the official version, and it seems reasonable enough to me that since Khara and Co. are focusing all of their energies on finishing the Rebuild movie series, they don't have the time to oversee a high-definition re-release of the original TV series and movies right now.

Seriously, though, even if the rumors of a falling out between Anno and Gainax are true, when it comes to releasing new Evangelion Blu-rays that are sure to make them a boatload of money, does anyone really think they wouldn't be able to come to an agreement?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5