• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Brings Barefoot Gen to Non-Proliferation Event

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
If the Japanese don't want nukes, they need to stop letting their neo-nationalists re-write the constitution.
smoochy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we'll finally get the last six volumes released over here. Hurry up with that, Last Gasp!
Gage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand. I'm having trouble understanding why there are two meetings being mentioned. Help, please.
Ninja337

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If the Japanese don't want nukes, they need to stop letting their neo-nationalists re-write the constitution.

Russia, India, Pakistan, North Korea and China have nuclear weapons, and 2 of those countries want to blow Japan off the face of the map. There is a power struggle raging on in East Asia as China grows in power. I think Japan needs to get over the past and keep growing in power to check the Banana Republic of China.
tldr; STFU
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Ninja:
Quote:
Russia, India, Pakistan, North Korea and China have nuclear weapons, and 2 of those countries want to blow Japan off the face of the map.

If Japan did confronted its war crimes, instead of increasing tensions between its Asian neighbours by denying them, it wouldn't have to worry about getting nuked.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
I don't understand. I'm having trouble understanding why there are two meetings being mentioned. Help, please.

The meeting in Vienna over the next two weeks is the "first preparatory committee meeting" for the actual review conference in 2010.

That's right. They're having a meeting…about having a meeting.
Gage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Gage wrote:

The meeting in Vienna over the next two weeks is the "first preparatory committee meeting" for the actual review conference in 2010.

That's right. They're having a meeting…about having a meeting.

That's what I figured. Thanks for the help! Smile
Ninja337

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ninja:
Quote:
Russia, India, Pakistan, North Korea and China have nuclear weapons, and 2 of those countries want to blow Japan off the face of the map.

If Japan did confronted its war crimes, instead of increasing tensions between its Asian neighbours by denying them, it wouldn't have to worry about getting nuked.

They have confronted their war crimes already. Tanaka and later Murayama gave out official apologies and compensation has been given out. You are probably thinking of Shinzo Abe recently denying the Japanese put women into sex slavery. The whole issue was overblown by the Chinese and Koreans who are looking to antagonize the Japanese, just like in the Yasukuni Shrine controversy.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Ninja337 wrote:
The whole issue was overblown by the Chinese and Koreans who are looking to antagonize the Japanese, just like in the Yasukuni Shrine controversy.

Replace "Chinese and Koreans" with "Jews, Gypsies and Poles," "Japanese" with "Nazi Germany," and "Yasukuni Shrine" with "Auschwitz." If you think they are not comparable, or that the new sentence after the replacement is still justifiable, then I've got nothing more to say. Rolling Eyes

And you'd better learn 1) what a "Banana Republic" stands for and 2) which country in East Asia is often represented or iconized with banana.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ninja337

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Ninja337 wrote:
The whole issue was overblown by the Chinese and Koreans who are looking to antagonize the Japanese, just like in the Yasukuni Shrine controversy.

Replace "Chinese and Koreans" with "Jews, Gypsies and Poles," "Japanese" with "Nazi Germany," and "Yasukuni Shrine" with "Auschwitz." If you think they are not comparable, or that the new sentence after the replacement is still justifiable, then I've got nothing more to say. Rolling Eyes

And you'd better learn 1) what a "Banana Republic" stands for and 2) which country in East Asia is often represented or iconized with banana.

The Japanese weren't looking to wipe the Chinese and Koreans off the face of the planet, while the Nazis were looking to exterminate the Jews, among other people. The Yasukuni Shrine is also an important shrine in the Shinto religion, Auschwitz was a concentration camp. At Yasukuni, Koizumi or Abe could be praying for the people that died in the fricking Boshin War for all we know. Comparing the Japanese to the Nazis is not fair, even by Tojo or Hirohito's standards. The reason the Chinese make a big deal out of the Yasukuni visits is because they want to gain military control over all of Asia, and they see a militant Japan as a threat to that goal. If anyone's a Nazi in East Asia, It's the Chinese. They are handing out persecutions left and right, and they are claiming ownership of places that are clearly not Chinese land.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
Ninja:
Quote:
The Japanese weren't looking to wipe the Chinese and Koreans off the face of the planet,

Why does the end matter more than the means?

Quote:
The Yasukuni Shrine is also an important shrine in the Shinto religion,

Then apparently, they've corrupted the entire point of Shinto by honoring war criminals.

Quote:
Auschwitz was a concentration camp.

I'm sure if the Japanese nationalists could claim Nanjing as their own, they'd probably be honoring it, instead of the shrine.

Quote:
At Yasukuni, Koizumi or Abe could be praying for the people that died in the fricking Boshin War for all we know.

Yes, but his prayers go out to people who don't deserve it.

Quote:
Comparing the Japanese to the Nazis is not fair, even by Tojo or Hirohito's standards.

Why? Because they didn't murder as many people? Genocide is genocide.

Quote:
The reason the Chinese make a big deal out of the Yasukuni visits is because they want to gain military control over all of Asia, and they see a militant Japan as a threat to that goal.

The Chinese have economic power now; so they don't need military power.
I'm guessing what really pisses them off is that Japan wants to establish political and economic relations with them, but keeps rubbing them the wrong way.

Quote:
If anyone's a Nazi in East Asia, It's the Chinese. They are handing out persecutions left and right, and they are claiming ownership of places that are clearly not Chinese land.

I'm not really on the side of China, either, but at least they're not hypocrites claiming they want peace, and then instigating war.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1