• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiLVER820

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Good list, but I do have a few disagreements.

Armin Arlert: I think Spike Spencer would sound too old, but someone with a bit of base in his voice would work well.

Levi: JYB is one of my favorite voice actors, but I don't think he would fit with this role.

Annie Leonhart: I think Stephanie Sheh's voice is too high pitched for the character.

Erwin Smith: I think that Chris Ayres, with some proper direction, would be almost perfect for the role.

I couldn't agree more with the choices for Connie Springer and Eren Yeager, though. Once I saw Connie, I instantly thought that Greg Ayres would be a great fit for the role. I also think that Yuri Lowenthal would be able to capture Eren's rage perfectly.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
SiLVER820 wrote:
Good list, but I do have a few disagreements.

Armin Arlert: I think Spike Spencer would sound too old, but someone with a bit of base in his voice would work well.

Levi: JYB is one of my favorite voice actors, but I don't think he would fit with this role.

Annie Leonhart: I think Stephanie Sheh's voice is too high pitched for the character.

Erwin Smith: I think that Chris Ayres, with some proper direction, would be almost perfect for the role.

I couldn't agree more with the choices for Connie Springer and Eren Yeager, though. Once I saw Connie, I instantly thought that Greg Ayres would be a great fit for the role. I also think that Yuri Lowenthal would be able to capture Eren's rage perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback =)

Armin: I picked Spencer mostly because Armin reminds me a lot of Shinji from Evangelion. They both have the same kind of personalities too (both very gifted in a certain area but they are usually not confident enough to use their talents unless given a pep talk). I thought Spencer nailed that role pretty well so kind of felt he would work out. But your right someone with a bit more bass would probably fit better.

Annie: It's true most of Stephanie Sheh's voices for her characters are very high pitched. But i recently watched queens blade rebellion and started picking back up where i left from Bleach. She apparently has a low and serious tone in her voice that i never even noticed before. I actually had trouble recognizing her voice when she did Queens Blade Rebellion because it sounded so different. I think if she used this particular voice she could handle Annie's overall mellow character very well.

Erwin: I'm not familiar with a lot of Christopher's work. I do recognize him from Panty and Stocking as well as Frieza from DBZ Kai. He seems to be suited for villainous roles based on what I've heard but perhaps he has different tone in his voice that i haven't seen yet?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Binge watched all this crap today. 25 episodes where almost nothing happens followed by the lack of any closure. It was extremely entertaining though but at the end it felt quite empty specially given the complete lack of substantial closure. I think several seasons of this are under way.

Yet, this is probably the weakest title in the ANN's top 100 right now. Still rated it good but nothing else there I rated below very good (as far as I can remember).

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Clearly you guys underestimate how amazingly well crafted the show is - a Masterpice from me. Sure there are flaws, as with any other masterpiece rated work but the strengths of the show are simply overwhelming. I don't recall many other series able to shock me so many times (Elfen Lied would be one) plus the way AoT was able to chain me to the screen is a purely joyful experience.

I think that there are many shows of the same genre (entertaining shonen action) much better than this one. Gurren Laggan, for instance which I found enormously superior. Claymore is also better all around (it also has much more satisfying battles IMO and plenty of gore as well).

It's true it's a very addictive show but that's maybe thanks to it's traditional shonen manga strategy of chaining the viewer/reader to the plot and releasing little bits of information here and there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
OVA (Ilse's journal)

I expected this just to be a recap, but there actually was something here, and that was that Hanji might spoiler[not actually be crazy, not that I thought she was]. She saw a spoiler[Titan that had odd behaviours from chasing after her instead of Levi's larger gang, in the past even spoke to that, perhaps showing regret over doing so enough to go out of its way and head-butt the tree it put the body in]. And most cryptically of all we got spoiler[that it said a name; Ymir-sama].

The thought popped into my mind that Hanji's technique of trying to understand the titans enough until she loves them could be effective, spoiler[what if the titans are the result of the same thing]?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Why was this numbered 35 behind the title card? What happened to 26-34?
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
So is there someone named Ymir in the series? I only watched episodes 1-5 and 19-25 because this show sort of annoys me, but it is interesting enough for me to keep tabs on it. So, I'm not really sure if there was a character named Ymir
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
So is there someone named Ymir in the series?

yeah, she is the one who figures she can put Sasha in her debt by helping her out after Sasha ran all day as punishment during training
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks getchman. I would have googled it, but last time I googled something Attack on Titan, I was immediately spoiled on identities of certain things. I do remember that happening to Sasha, though
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
It was nice seeing the characters again.
Even though it shows another side of the same story.
Hanji's obsession never ceases to amaze me.
She's being way too careless with other people's lives.
The mystery ofspoiler[ Ilse] was interesting.
Awesome OVA!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
base on this ova. IF this is from manga, not make up by anime studio, it looks like Titans are probably spoiler[man make. And they all have masters. That mean human can learn to control them too.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Specials 1-3

spoiler[I just love chibi's.
They're so unbelievably cute (´∀`)♡
Their appearance is the same as those color collection figure straps.
Hope those come out soon, but judging from what I read, not until summer.
Anyway, the story is fun, funny and very entertaining.
Think the characters looks make it so you just can't take them seriously.
It was nice to see Eren punched by Mikasa (¬‿¬)
The mini stories were nice and they always ended up eaten ^^"]
Akito Kinomoto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Well, this wasn't the revolutionary action show modern anime fandom was looking for, but to call it anything less than good is a travesty to everything the show did right. More thoughts below...
---
Authors will sometimes forgo intricate writing to tell a simple story, and the self-described Attack on Titan is just that. A throwback to a time when heroes were men, heroines were men, villains were just evil obstacles, and stories could kick logic to the curb and screw the rules because it gets by on being simple and unabashedly GAR.

Well, not quite.

While high-adrenaline thrills are Attack on Titan’s calling, they’re actually quite controlled, much like the disciplined soldiers fighting the Titans. They use grappling hooks that essentially let them “fly” anywhere so long as there’s a structure to latch onto and their gear is fueled. This is key, because while some characters move more ridiculously than others, no rules are broken and the surrounding environment and remaining fuel must be taken into account, and this comes into play on more than one occasion. And yet, the frenetic actions scenes create an illusion that there are no limits to how they can move. This illusion makes the action scenes greatly satisfying because there’s always a method to the madness, to say nothing of the presentation itself.

And the presentation itself is visceral. Hard outlines trace the character and background designs to give this show a heavy look, colors are vibrant despite the limited color palette, and action scenes are well-choreographed without character models turning to mush, except for when the story intends for them to be smashed into unrecognizable bits by a Titan. The Titans’ expressions and movements are often stupid, but it creates an uncomfortable disconnect with how terrifying they are. But the audio doesn’t hold up quite as well as the visual. It rises as action rises, and falls as action falls, and has the occasional vocal track, and while good, isn’t anything that can stand on its own. Nonetheless, the audiovisual is solid and goes a long way to telling the story.

But more than the presentation, Attack on Titan’s greatest strength is its story, especially during the Battle for Trost and the 57th Expedition. These story arcs are fast-paced, yet, at the same time, slow to go anywhere. The quickness of it all represents how fast the soldiers need to move to avoid death, yet the slowness of story events mirror the arduous task of fighting a Titan. It’s a lot of energy spent on a slow, punishing process that wears out the viewer as much as it does the characters. Beyond the direct threat of the Titans are questions of discarding humanity, self-sacrifice, and blind faith that are usually handled well—the appearance of a certain character in the Battle for Trost is a particularly standout example—though at times these themes become forced when a character starts speaking like a philosophy textbook. It ruins what little character the characters have.

This is because while the story is very good, the characters leave much to be desired. Eren switches between self-degrading and angry as the plot calls for it, Makasa goes back and forth from cool and silent to sympathetic, and Armin breaks his cowardly streak at his convenience. There are moments when the characters show roundedness, but their development ultimately becomes an excuse for shouting and fighting atop more shouting and fighting. Once the viewer realizes a certain event that happens to a certain character during the Battle for Trost isn’t as impactful as it should be, it should at least make them place expectations on how well developed or not the rest of the characters will be. Among all of Attack on Titan’s accomplishments, good character development isn’t one of them and that hurts this show a great deal.

Not to say the characters are bad, they’re just not good. In an average anime they would be harmless, but in an anime where everything else is at least good, these characters are like the weak points of a Titan itself, crippling something impressive if it received a direct blow. But if the weak point isn’t attacked, the Titan—the show—runs amok in awe-inspiring fashion. People who can mostly or entirely ignore the weak character development will find a lot to like in the solid presentation, excellent fight scenes, and very good story. So despite an obvious problem, Attack on Titan still towers over most shows at a solid 7/10 meters
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

I think that there are many shows of the same genre (entertaining shonen action) much better than this one. Gurren Laggan, for instance which I found enormously superior. Claymore is also better all around (it also has much more satisfying battles IMO and plenty of gore as well).

I would definitely agree that AoT is not as good as Claymore, but I might rate it about equal to Gurren Lagann.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
So if you guys are familiar with the AoT Subaru commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQkgmHEA5_E, it now has 9,000,000 views. Knowing that the show has that kind of awareness, it will be interesting to see how many copies Funimation sells when the Dvd/Blu-rays come out. Anyone have any predictions?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 86 of 107