• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece Movie 10: Strong World BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeFan617
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Good review, but just one thing.

The review body states that "while this doesn't give us a story that fits comfortably into the basic storyline,..." while the summary at the bottom has as a positive, "feels like it could slip right in to the main continuity."

Is this a contradiction error on the writer's part or is there a different meaning here that I'm missing?

Other than that, a very nice review. Smile
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Embarassed

Little bit of both, really. What I meant (and clearly didn't explain well) is that its setting is kind of unclear from a story arc perspective, but the adventure itself doesn't feel like a made-for-a-movie money grab - it's really obvious that Oda created it and it fits into the story's world, if not an obvious point in the timeline.
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
It's about time Funimation released another one piece film. They just now need to release some of the other films in the series. I can't wait.
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm slightly confused by what you mean by the monsters mimicing stop motion in their movement. Could you describe a specific example so i can more easily understand what you mean? Confused

Other than that i'd say this was a fair review. Shiki's accent was really off-putting at first but i got into it after about 10 minutes. Not something i hear very often in dubs.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Strong World is a fun ride, if not necessarily all that mind-blowing, which is about par for the course as far as Shounen Jump movies go. I definitely think it's far stronger than any of the earlier movies, except maybe 6 (which was Mamoru Hosoda's effort). The easy highlight for me was everyone busting into Shiki's lair; they're all wearing these ridiculously-badass black outfits and carrying massive guns, and the designs were apparently popular enough that Toei commissioned a bunch of similar designs for characters who weren't even in the movie. I'm really excited to hear Ian Sinclair's take as Brook, because the clips FUNi has released have him sounding completely dead-on.

(And yes, I giggled at the fart shoes too. Very Happy )
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I just recived the movie...in the mail...after I had already left for college....well my folk surprised me by being OP fans so I hope they enjoy it.

For me Strong World was definitely fun, not my favorite OP film but definitely fun, and I too look forward to hearng brook because the clips I heard were fantastic. I did have some issues though, like the fact that it was a "we gotta save our nakama" movie and we didn't get as much island adventuring as I would have liked but Nami outsmarting Shiki did help a bit. To be honest the best thing I got out of from this was getting a chance to see chapter/episode 0 which simply reminds me why I love the OP world so much.
rydia251

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
Crap this one is starting to get buried in the Holiday pile of stuff, maybe I should just watch it along with "movie 8" or whatever it's called even though I haven't seen any of the other OP anime works yet (just 150 chapters into the manga right now).

Along with other fans I hope Funi picks up some of the other movies, I'm running out of external hard drive space and the patience to track down old fansubs. Give me something to buy...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
I'm slightly confused by what you mean by the monsters mimicing stop motion in their movement. Could you describe a specific example so i can more easily understand what you mean? Confused

Sure! When some of the larger monsters were walking, it looked very much like they were made out of some sort of modeling material rather than being drawings or computer-rendered 3D images - there was a hesitation in their movements that reminded me of old stop motion cartoons, like the ones that air on (American) TV around Christmas or the film "Flushed Away." I suspect that it was just poor computer animation, but the "claymation" feeling was strong.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:

Other than that i'd say this was a fair review. Shiki's accent was really off-putting at first but i got into it after about 10 minutes. Not something i hear very often in dubs.

well i didn't think shiki's dub voice was bad. then again considering that i was born in the Caribbean (Trinidad & Tobago to be exact) , it shouldn't come as a surprise that i have no problem with it. Also though Sinclair is ok as brook , he's kinda inferior to the Japanese version and i am mainly a dub pursuit only person here.

Also having Zorro with a gun isnt a negative at all considering this is a filler movie. if it was included in the cannon arc in the tv series, then yea but its not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
well i didn't think shiki's dub voice was bad. then again considering that i was born in the Caribbean (Trinidad & Tobago to be exact) , it shouldn't come as a surprise that i have no problem with it. Also though Sinclair is ok as brook , he's kinda inferior to the Japanese version and i am mainly a dub pursuit only person here.

Theres wasn't anyway they could replicate the japanese but the voice Ian used was pretty good. Then again i like Ian in everything i hear him in. It's the same case as Luffy for me where i try to just enjoy both performances on their own.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Theres wasn't anyway they could replicate the japanese but the voice Ian used was pretty good. Then again i like Ian in everything i hear him in. It's the same case as Luffy for me where i try to just enjoy both performances on their own.

well considering over the top brook is , Sabat would have made a better brook considering how over the top he did as General Armstrong, but since he got voiced as Zorro , that is out of the question. the second choice would have been sean ( goku from DBZ )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
uguu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I dunno what you mean by "claymation". Was there some 3D CG stuff I forgot about that had a choppy feeling? Any specific examples?

Also, 'stop motion' is not a synonym for 'claymation'. You can make stop motion with action figures too; it doesn't have to be clay, you just have to create motion out of individual still shots instead of a full recording. It's in the word.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
I mentioned above the section I was referring to.

That's true about the strict definition of "stop motion." My sister is an artist with animation training, and we both decided that that was the simplest way to explain what I meant for people, with the understanding that it would annoy others. Sorry!
uguu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
It's not really a 'simplification' as much as it is incorrect. You could have said "claymation is an example of stop-motion" without implying they're synonyms.

Your description doesn't say much though since the movie is full of animal animation. Got any specific hour:minute:second examples?

A friend with animation training (a degree in such, to be exact) sees zero specific differences between how the animation for the creatures and the animation for the human characters is handled.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

the dubs performance should never try to replicate the japanese performance,if you're trying that,your doing it wrong. which is why i like patrick seitz performance as franky better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2