• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Durarara! Novels Change Title With 2-Year Jump in Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soliia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. I really hope it's a second season. Because out of everything I've wanted a second season for, Durarara is probably the anime I've wanted one for the most.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Word is the Yellow Scarves arc, which is covered in the anime, is the worst part of the novels and it's all smooth sailing going forward. Looking forward to more anime.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
*crosses fingers for an anime second season*

I'd rather see more Baccano. I dropped Durarara after the first few episodes, because it's so dull.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Detrimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:04 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Detrimont wrote:
the japanese ones a shitting on my shelf unable to be read

Doesn't sound pleasant Laughing Wink

Oops, typo Razz

penguintruth wrote:
I'd rather see more Baccano. I dropped Durarara after the first few episodes, because it's so dull.

If they adapted all of what happened in the train arc of Baccano (which was 3 novels long) you'd fin it boring too.
As with a lot of series *cough* Cowboy Bebop *cough* it gets better later on.

Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Word is the Yellow Scarves arc, which is covered in the anime, is the worst part of the novels and it's all smooth sailing going forward. Looking forward to more anime.

It is(i personally really liked it.. but yeah), well... novel 4 is kinda boring in terms of the full story, but it's probably the funniest out of all the novels(Izaya's twin sister become more main and join the chat room, and their dialogue is just hilarious)... Book 5 is when the story starts getting really great again though
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
So am I the only one who kinda went "o_o" at the word spoiler["formerly"] in that synopsis?
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
So am I the only one who kinda went "o_o" at the word spoiler["formerly"] in that synopsis?

That's the point. spoiler[Celty gets her head back.]

Also, this anime is so popular that 4 years later, it is STILL getting a yearly calendar.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
BinBouGami1234 wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
*crosses fingers for an anime second season*

Bishounens seem to have become more popular recently, so anything could happen.

Indeed. I think the story found a good balance between Anri's and Celty's plotlines, and Masaomi's and Mikado's; not to mention everyone else. Very Happy

Oh how I want to own those light novels. Here's hoping Yen Press rakes in enough cash from the manga to make the acquisition monetarily viable.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I hope little brown books license the light novels considering they're done with haruhi as of now.

And yeah, a 2nd season would be great for the anime, Im a big fan (even manged to cough up 150$ + tax for the blu ray boxset from AoA..)

Gotta ask though, is the anime the same as the light novels? I recall hearing that the anime took a different route from the LN, is that true?
Detrimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I hope little brown books license the light novels considering they're done with haruhi as of now.

And yeah, a 2nd season would be great for the anime, Im a big fan (even manged to cough up 150$ + tax for the blu ray boxset from AoA..)

Gotta ask though, is the anime the same as the light novels? I recall hearing that the anime took a different route from the LN, is that true?

Yes and no, no in the fact that the story is the same(not counting the final episode/special(meaning the love in ikebukuro ep), and it ends the same way book 3 ends, no in the fact that they merged parts of the story together (eg. Parts of the slasher arc(bk 2) were in the dollars arc(bk 1)).
Which imo, made it work better (the creepy teacher being in earlier episodes instead of just showing up later on)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
So if they make a 2nd season it will continue were the book left of (book 3 right)? Like the alterations made for the anime are not "game breaking" meaning S2 can continue without having to restart to fix it?
Detrimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
So if they make a 2nd season it will continue were the book left of (book 3 right)? Like the alterations made for the anime are not "game breaking" meaning S2 can continue without having to restart to fix it?

Seeing as there were no alterations for the major storyline (only big(ish) change was the adding of Rio(girl in ep1 and 2) who replaced 2 nameless girls. (Rio ended up actually being a minor character in the books because the author liked her).
So if a second season is made(which trust me, i would be counting the minutes until it started), it'll be starting from book 4, which is the Hollywood arc(no, they don't go to america, hollywood is a serial killer(who has actually been shown in the anime(she's a certain singer))).
Then the Akane arc(which is where the story starts getting extremely good), then the Dollars and Blue Squares arc.
(seeing as they'll probably do 3 novels again if S2 is made)
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
I just hope they do a season 2 of the anime!
4 years on from first season and I still rate it very highly.
kamui85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the anime, and the description of that 13 vol. sounds just like the anime left hanging... how much have i missed?
Detrimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:
I've only seen the anime, and the description of that 13 vol. sounds just like the anime left hanging... how much have i missed?

10 novels worth of storylines
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Interesting! I tried reading the translations of the LNs not too long ago, but whoever translated it either did it very awkwardly, or the writer writes just like that.. The style was a little odd and I couldn't really enjoy how it was written.

Anyway, I loved the anime though, I am too going to hope that there will be a second season at sometime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3