• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madhouse Animates Avengers Confidential: Black Widow and Punisher

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
molibdaenum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
It is Madhouse, not Mad House; there is a [little] difference.
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
...I guess these must be doing well for Marvel and/or Madhouse. Hopefully it's at least a little better than "Rise of the Technovore" was.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Wish Marvel would take more advantage of the control they have over animated X-men movies/series through Madhouse, since they can't touch live action ones because of Fox. Perhaps something without Wolverine?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Technovore was meh, but I'll watch this. More Avengers is always a good thing.
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Okay. I think we've already established that the Marvel anime line is nothing to write home about, and this is coming from a fan of Marvel.

Last edited by electricpatriot on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Technovore did feel like a backdoor pilot for something Punisher related, so I'm not surprised he gets top billing. Didn't think it'd be a team up movie with Black Widow, though. Seems like an odd pairing, unless they work together a lot in the comics (I wouldn't know).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
electricpatriot wrote:
Okay. I think we've already established that the Marvel anime line is nothing to write home about, and this is coming from a fan of Marvel.

Do you think the reason people get excited is because some folks think "Oh my god, Marvel anime, it's gotta be awesome because it's anime!" when they see this stuff?
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
electricpatriot wrote:

Do you think the reason people get excited is because some folks think "Oh my god, Marvel anime, it's gotta be awesome because it's anime!" when they see this stuff?

No. I'm just surprised they're still doing it.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
Looks Fun. Animated silly popcorn fun. 90s style action film. Nothing more, nothing less & that's fine. Look forward to watching it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Oh yay, more Marvel anime, I'm happy to see that. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
electricpatriot wrote:

If you mean, do they say "Oh wow, it's Marvel AND anime!" like they did with the DC Batman titles, not taking into account (A) the storytelling styles are too drastically different, and (B) the Japanese don't really understand Western superheroes, Marvel-angsty or not, then, um....yeah, pretty much.

Fortunately, this sounds like just hire-work (Marvel doesn't seem to be doing any more domestic animation outside of Disney, like they did with the Lionsgate animateds), so Madhouse won't screw up the tone too much as they did with Iron Man or X-Men.
This sounds more like Marvel using animation to wind-tunnel test a couple of iffy feature-film ideas (like they did with Thor and Iron Man before their movies went into production), as they've been tossing around the idea of a Black Widow spinoff for Scarlett Johanson whether the fans want one or not. Along with their finally getting the Punisher back in the family, but not sure whether HE needs one more live-action feature. (Hey, say what you want, but IMO, "War Zone" was about as close as anyone's gotten so far; real-Marvel's improvements on it would only be cosmetic.)
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
Looks like it'll be interesting. Hopefully it's more like the Iron Man anime than the Wolverine anime(jeez, was that painfully boring).

I am kinda thrown off by what they did with Captain Marvel's hair. Looks weird with it pushed up like that. If they did that in the comic, it would definitely be with an 80's look.

Hopefully they do what they've done in the past and include a japanese dub, as I've felt more comfortable with those than I have with the english dub of these anime adaptations.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote
Ecstatic to see Carol in her Captain Marvel outfit, but damn what's with that hair?
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:14 am Reply with quote
At least the animation quality will be a heck of a lot better than the current Avengers Assemble stuff that's out there.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:52 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
electricpatriot wrote:

NO, these are people excited to see the characters in anything that moves!
Face it, most people get information from video and get exposed to the characters through TV shows, motion pictures, and videogames, period. I doubt most superhero "fans" have read very many comic books. Most people have had their first exposure to characters through the animated series that have played on television over the past 40+ years. The lack of available outlets for comics and the decades-long publishing histories of these characters tend to discourage people from ever collecting these books... that and there is an all-too-human aversion to actually research things and do book-learning...

Speaking as someone who collected comics for far too long --
the animated adaptations blow most of the time.
Original comic book artwork is generally much better and there's far more space and time to unwind storylines over the course of months and even years in books. There's always time and money crunches when it comes to animated adaptations.
The really good stories originate from the comics. Comics drive the animated and live-action adaptations. However, the well is drying creatively on comics and most of the really good stories were generally written years and decades ago.
(For people who are heavy into manga -- which I've never been -- they've said the same thing about most anime adaptations of manga including the feature anime version of "Akira"... Most manga lovers like the original manga versions better versus the anime adaptations.)
Since superheroes have been very successful in lower budget TV animated series don't expect them to be featured in Disney-quality hand-drawn features. Not gonna happen when the reward is "good enough" at far lower budgets. Also, despite the success of direct-to-video programs like Marvel's and DC's, the home video market sales is demonstrating that animated superhero adventures still have a limited captive audience -- ie, the teen/more-grown up audience for action/adventure animation audience is not huge. It can support budget programs (anything that costs under $3million to make generally will break even at least) but a $100million Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man animated feature won't happen any time soon.
Disney TRIED to market and sell a teen boys animated feature film (Treasure Planet) but it failed "spectacularly" by their standards and they haven't attempted another since... yes, I know about "The Incredibles" but that was a Pixar film and even though it's (arguably) heavily based on the Fantastic Four comics it's still a "family film" versus being a film set at a specific target audience which generally rejects seeing animation in theaters because of peer pressure and societal attitudes -- animation is just "not cool" for teenage boys and other such-nonsense...
DC has a much better track record in animation since 1992's Batman: The Animated Series but even that's leveling off. The non-Superman/Batman titles -- even Justice League adventures featuring BOTH characters -- DO NOT sell as well as the solo or Batman/Superman team titles. Sad fact but very true.

Generally-speaking, only the characters that have had wide exposure over the past 30 years on television are selling well in new direct-to-video animation. That would include Batman and Superman for DC. For Marvel, I can't speak to that so much since I have not seen their sales figures for direct-to-video product. I would expect Hulk and Spider-Man to do better than Avengers or Fantastic Four since those characters have had at least one animated series per decade since the 1980s. Team titles in general have not sold as well as solo character videos or team-up titles between two ultra well-known characters... Wolverine would probably do well aside from X-Men since he's the most featured character of that set and has had his own live-action movies, too.
I do know this for sure about animation and anime adaptations of superheroes --
American comic book fans generally do NOT appreciate and like anime versions of American superheroes. They don't like the art style and liberties taken with character backstories and plotlines even though that's pretty much a fact of life (like it or not) with ANY adaptation of characters of any sort from one media to another.
The "manga experiment" Marvel tried with its characters in the 1990s hasn't been repeated because of widespread fan critique and rejection of those tries --- that's in spite of generally excellent sales on the "manga experiments."

The real reason most of the Marvel animated product isn't very good has to do with the level of commitment the company has to the product and the people that are hired to run these shows.
Marvel does these series very cheaply (and it shows!) and the people who are running these series aren't spending the money very well and the story editing has been in general lousy. This is on spotlight display on the current Unlimited Spider-Man, Avengers, and Hulk animated series running on Disney's Anime hyper Cable Channel. These TV series and most of the direct-to-video Marvel product has not been received that well... It sells okay but does not get the raves and critical acclaim that the DC animated product does.
The better animation talent has been and probably still is at WB working on the DC projects. Sad to say, but I halfway expect DC videos to start selling worse in the future since the recent decision to base most newer videos on the current "52" DC Universe comic books instead of the "Classic DC" storylines...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3