• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Offer Death Note Downloads via Direct2Drive

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have an idea of what the price would be like on Direct2Drive?

This is seven month's after the Japanese premier of the anime, which, at 37 episodes, should be ending pretty soon. While I commend Viz Media for trying to pioneer something like this, I can't help but feel like waiting for the DVDs would be a better, and less DRM'd, decision right now.
roxfan

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Eos

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I heard about this some months and was looking forward to trying it. The other anime available is more expensive than I thought. I wonder what the price per episode of Death Note will be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rhondavb

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I can't be the only bummed out Mac user. Yes, I realize if I have an Intel Mac (and I do) I could run Windows on it, but I don't plan on ever running Windows on my machine (there's no need for me to).

I don't suppose e-mailing them would make a difference, right? I imagine the # of Mac users is a minority. <sigh>

Maybe I'll just have a friend with a PC buy it and watch in on their machine. Still stinks tho!

-Rhonda
Sylphiel

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
rhondavb wrote:
I can't be the only bummed out Mac user.

No, you're not the only one. But like you said we're definitely the minority here. I can't say I'm surprised.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cl4y

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
rhondavb wrote:
I can't be the only bummed out Mac user. Yes, I realize if I have an Intel Mac (and I do) I could run Windows on it, but I don't plan on ever running Windows on my machine (there's no need for me to).

I don't suppose e-mailing them would make a difference, right? I imagine the # of Mac users is a minority. <sigh>

Maybe I'll just have a friend with a PC buy it and watch in on their machine. Still stinks tho!

-Rhonda

Heck, I'm primarily a windows user and I'm still bummed about the lack of compatibility. I've been planning on turning a spare pc into a linux-based media center pc, but this kind of crap isn't making it any easier. Being a techie, I dream of a world where I can access any media from any device that is physically capable of playing it. Unfortunately, I'm far closer to being able to do that with illegal media than legit. Don't get me wrong, I want to give them my money. I'll likely still buy their downloads, just to show support for moving in that direction.

Even though Viz didn't fulfill my dreams of quickly-released, reasonably-priced, relatively-drm-free, internet-distributed anime, I still hope the Death Note release moves things forward in that regard. Even though this release is less than ideal, its failure could set us back even further. Their use of DRM might make you think otherwise, but Viz really is taking a risk by doing this. If we don't support them now, we won't garner any good will for the future.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
wow is this gonna be a good idea. the cost of a single ep seem to be $1.99 for most shows (but this seems to be for only old series). viewing the site the prices for the other animes are exorbitant imo plus i see lots of restrictions and the file sizes are huge. i think ill just wait for the dvds. Laughing
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the others prices for anime over there, it's definitely expensive. Sometimes it's even more than the retail of the DVD version of a particular anime (who pays retail, anyway?). We will see what Viz does with their pricing.

roxfan, that link didn't work for me until I actually visited the Direct2Drive support main page first, then followed the link you posted. I had to start a session on the site first, I think, so if anyone else is having any problems, just do what I did.

The episodes cannot be burned to DVDs, so that pretty much rules me out of this. On top of the possible price issue and the lack of cool packaging and other extras, this isn't a viable solution for digitally distribute anime. Unless each episode is $2 or less (which won't happen for a very long time, if ever), real DVDs are the way to go.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I'm worried about is if this article (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-01-13/death-note-release-won't-be-limited-to-downloads) really does mean that Viz will releasing the DVDs in a dub-only format. I'd rather own DVDs, but if the dub isn't a good one, well ....

Last edited by Jedi General on Thu May 03, 2007 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakura no Miko

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know what episdoe they're stating at? I was under the impression they would be doing the same episodes airing in Japan, but if so, I've missed aobut 10 episodes between when they announced the license (and most fansub groups quite) and where they are now...
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
The only thing I'm worried about is if this article (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-01-13/death-note-release-won't-be-limited-to-downloads) really does mean that Viz will releasing the DVDs in a dub-only format. I'd rather own DVDs, but if the dub isn't a good one, well ....

If Viz doesn't end up releasing the subtitled version on DVD, then I simply will not own any Death Note anime.

However, I think a move like that from them would be quite ridiculous.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
It's been previously clarified that the dvds will be bilingual.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

At New York Comic Con Viz announced that the DVD will have both a Dub and a Sub track. I was also a bit worry also when I originally read the first report, I would probably still buy DN even with a dub only dvd release (I've got the Original Gundam one's) but it's would be some time after when there was a great sale.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Thu May 03, 2007 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Ah ok. That makes me feel so much better. Thanks guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not going along with this. Sorry, if they think they are going to pioneer some new form of distribution, but the whole point of licensing it is so we can physically buy a DVD... if we want digital downloads, often times, people who watch subtitles prefer fansubs over official, so that probably rules out the majority of the online/downloading/subtitle-watchers. And by releasing it for download with only a sub stream, they are going to be alienating the dub-only watchers, who'll see this as being considered second-tier.

Obviously, not everyone will hit these two ends of the spectrum, but there are plenty that will, and not being able to burn to DVD what I've already paid for is another negative. Yeah, it's a copyright issue, so people can't sell Viz's subtitle stream on eBay or something, but still. And I like to own DVD's, so either way, I won't be buying the series twice...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3