• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Vertical Vortex

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Great to hear that Gundam the Origin is doing great, its shot up as one of the best manga I have ever read. The book is great to look at, and its actually fairly affordable because I pay 18-22 dollars for the book and its twice as long so the markup for better paper and the hardcover is worth it.

I don't think there is another Gundam title with the ability to sell like Gundam the Origin since that was heavily hyped, and was written and drawn by the character designer, Animation Director Yasuhiko Yoshikazu
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Great to hear that Gundam the Origin is doing great, its shot up as one of the best manga I have ever read. The book is great to look at, and its actually fairly affordable because I pay 18-22 dollars for the book and its twice as long so the markup for better paper and the hardcover is worth it.

Definitely. Most books are 420-550 pages long with a lot of color, so you can get more than 2X the page count, hardcover, extras and color for sometimes less than 2X the price (especially if you preorder).

Quote:
I don't think there is another Gundam title with the ability to sell like Gundam the Origin since that was heavily hyped, and was written and drawn by the character designer, Animation Director Yasuhiko Yoshikazu

Heh... Tell me about it. There really aren't many titles that really are that worthwhile. But the hype...well, I'll brag a bit, that was mainly our work. We did a lot of viral publicity for that. Glad the fandom really got on board early.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Another Gundam title! God I hope it's Ecole du Ciel... it was such a shame when Tokyopop cancelled it (though to be fair I think that was around the time they were circling the drain anyway).
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear you're taking a crack at a gag manga and i'll be sure to grab it as i wanna support anyone taking a chance on em.

Must admit the series caught my eye when i was looking at the new anime season.
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Very cool, Ed. So glad Gundam worked out and better than expected. Ever since I heard about the announcement that you guys were releasing Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin, I became a dedicated fan of Vertical. I try to buy almost everything you guys put, and I've never been disappointed by anything I've blind bought from you guys. That goes for both manga and novels.

Definitely looking forward to 'My Neighbor Seki' and everything else Vertical puts out this year.

Urusei Yatsura is a great choice. I've got VIZ's old release of it, as a matter of fact Vertical's tumblr liked my photo of that volume quite some time ago. Love that stuff.

I would LOVE to see someone try to release the Patlabor manga. I have those two ancient releases VIZ put out a long time ago.

Sad that Glenn Danzig was the last person to attempt to bring Go Nagai's manga out, but then again maybe he's the reason we haven't gotten it since. haha.

Great podcast, guys.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
GhostOfSide3 wrote:
Very cool, Ed. So glad Gundam worked out and better than expected. Ever since I heard about the announcement that you guys were releasing Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin, I became a dedicated fan of Vertical. I try to buy almost everything you guys put, and I've never been disappointed by anything I've blind bought from you guys. That goes for both manga and novels.

Thanks!! It is a product of thoughtful curating and also personal expression of what our staff enjoy.

Quote:
Sad that Glenn Danzig was the last person to attempt to bring Go Nagai's manga out, but then again maybe he's the reason we haven't gotten it since. haha.

Well, don't forget the Studio Ironcat release of Cutey Honey.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear that readers/buyers essentially want to pigeonhole Vertical into being a specific kind of publisher. I know from speaking with Ed a good number of times that he really wants to be able to "spread the wings" of the company, per se, and have it be more than what it used to be. Too bad all that seems to have happened is that Vertical transitioned from being "that Tezuka publisher" to being "that oddball seinen publisher". Still, great to hear that Vertical is doing pretty well. Good luck with that gag manga, too, Ed.

Charred Knight wrote:

The only other Gundam manga that fits Origin's "brought to you by people who actually were behind the original show" mythos is the still-running manga reboot of G Gundam (now in it's "third stage"), which is written by Yasuhiro Imagawa (the chief director) & drawn by Kazuhiko Shimamoto (the original character designer). Unfortunately, G Gundam is a very different kind of title compared to Origin, and I'm pretty sure every time I've brought it up to Ed he seemed uninterested in it, preferring to do other Gundam manga instead.

Personally, I find it a shame because the first volume I bought "raw" looks like a ton of fun, complete with new material that adds more to the story. Plus, the first chapter literally ends with a manga re-creation of the first OP, "Flying in the Sky"... That alone should tell you how fun this title likely is. Unfortunately, G Gundam, though more loved now, is still a pretty divided entry in the franchise. Still, I'll hold out some slight hope; it's technically still shorter than Origin is, after all (Stage 1 is 7 volumes, Stage 2 is 8, & Stage 3 is presently only 3 volumes in; that's 18 volumes compared to Origin's original 23 [pre-hardcover reprint]), so an omnibus release could be doable to keep the number of releases down.

Another interesting choice, though, would be Gundam EXA (presently 6 volumes in), which is essentially a way of showcasing as many different Gundam universes (both UC & AU) in one manga as possible by having the main character pilot a Gundam that can traverse the multiverse.

I am sad that Gundam Sousei (the comedic "retelling" of how the original Gundam anime got made) is a no go (actually, make that a "never gonna happen"), though.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Sad to hear that readers/buyers essentially want to pigeonhole Vertical into being a specific kind of publisher. I know from speaking with Ed a good number of times that he really wants to be able to "spread the wings" of the company, per se, and have it be more than what it used to be. Too bad all that seems to have happened is that Vertical transitioned from being "that Tezuka publisher" to being "that oddball seinen publisher".

I'll take that as an improvement, honestly. Seinen is way broader than Tezuka (even if he had a huge collection). Hoping peeps will get on board the josei train too, but that's an even bigger mountain to climb.

Quote:
The only other Gundam manga that fits Origin's "brought to you by people who actually were behind the original show" mythos is the still-running manga reboot of G Gundam (now in it's "third stage"), which is written by Yasuhiro Imagawa (the chief director) & drawn by Kazuhiko Shimamoto (the original character designer). Unfortunately, G Gundam is a very different kind of title compared to Origin, and I'm pretty sure every time I've brought it up to Ed he seemed uninterested in it, preferring to do other Gundam manga instead.

Yeah... "Brought to you by the creators" is not as big a point for me as "this is collectors' worthy". I would omnibus G Gundam, but I definitely would not hardcover it.

Quote:
I am sad that Gundam Sousei (the comedic "retelling" of how the original Gundam anime got made) is a no go (actually, make that a "never gonna happen"), though.

SUNRISE sends us ideas now that we have become a little closer...This has not even been hinted by them. So yeah, no-go territory for sure.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The mention of Patlabor gave me the tiniest glimmer of hope. Please please make it happen, Ed. The timing with the movies would be perfect.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
The mention of Patlabor gave me the tiniest glimmer of hope. Please please make it happen, Ed. The timing with the movies would be perfect.

LOL... I'd say the likelihood is around 3%. It was brought up when a tweet asked "in an ideal world where money or contracts were not an issue, what would I license."

Unless Masami Yuuki gets in touch with us directly, we have no chance. But I LOVE that manga. It is excellent.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:

LOL... I'd say the likelihood is around 3%. It was brought up when a tweet asked "in an ideal world where money or contracts were not an issue, what would I license."

Unless Masami Yuuki gets in touch with us directly, we have no chance. But I LOVE that manga. It is excellent.

Figured as much. Nice to hear it at least acknowledged lol
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Yeah... "Brought to you by the creators" is not as big a point for me as "this is collectors' worthy". I would omnibus G Gundam, but I definitely would not hardcover it.

I can understand that. Origin really is a special case, but at the same time I don't think Gundam has to always be focused towards the collectors market, either. I'd just love to get that G Gundam manga, hardcover or not, especially since there's no way to read it in English right now; that's just me, though.

Quote:
SUNRISE sends us ideas now that we have become a little closer...This has not even been hinted by them. So yeah, no-go territory for sure.

I'm sure Sunrise is also the reason why Sousei has never been given a compiled tankouban release... I'm going to guess that they (and maybe even some of the sponsors and actual people involved) were not pleased with some of the stuff Hideki Ohwada poked fun at in that manga.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Been pre-ordering volumes of The Origin from the start. Yeah, those of us who are Gundam fans but aren't hardcore Gunpla folk really have been starved for years, so it's nice to have something this well made to get behind. Thanks, Vertical!

Although on that subject, I've been hearing some Barnes & Noble locations started having Gundam model kit kiosks late last year. Crazy.

It was already shot down on Tumblr, but my favorite Gundam manga (aside from Origin) is Crossbone Gundam - sheer popularity of the space pirate Gundam design aside, it's a straight up fun adventure manga. But, putting aside any other possible issues, I imagine Yuichi Hasegawa's cartoony art may be off-putting, not to mention his thing for drawing the same little girl over and over.

I only saw a bit of the Imagawa/Shimamoto G Gundam manga, but it does look great. It's anecdotal, but whenever I did Gundam panels at local cons, G Gundam always got a big response from people, and just in general it seems to be one of the more well remembered titles.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like The Origin is doing better than the TV series did, and that was broadcast on Toonami in its heyday.

Surprisingly, I only have the first volume thus far, but I plan to get more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I regret missing the call for Twitter questions. I'd like to know how The Drops of God is doing, seeing as how it was announced (IIRC) on ANNCast a few years back. I gave a copy to a wine-loving, manga-not-reading friend a few months back, and he said he got a kick out of it, and swears the wine-loving info-dumps are totally legit. (I also need to catch up with that myself… only through volume 3).

Also, it's nice to know Ed will be back at Anime Central (go team Midwest!). I stopped by the Verical table and grabbed the soon-to-be-unlicensed Andromeda Stories last year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2