• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon to Sell The Story of Saiunkoku DVD on August 28

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aluria

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw an image for Saiunkoku Monogatari, I immediately thought Fushigi Yugi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I thought Sainukoku was MUCH better than FuYu. I'm glad I was able to finish the series before it was officially licensed. Don't get me wrong, I'm definetely going to buy the DVD when it comes out (hope they choose some good voice actors because the Japanese ones are awesome) but I was only 3 away from the last epsiode and it was too good to have waited forever for the dvd release to catch up. I hope the dvd sells well so that they can bring season 2 over sometime soon.

To those who haven't seen Sainokoku, don't let the art or summary trick you, this isn't some boring political romance, it's a fun adventure with great characters and fun episodes.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
i enjoyed watching this for the most part although some of the episodes were boring and moved at a slow pace. my only question is how well are they gonna translate this since there is a lot of historical references and metaphors that are uncommon in the western culture?
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I watched two episodes of Saiunkoku, and I thought it was pretty interesting. I'd like to rent the DVD's once they come out because while I didn't bother to catch up on the series (mainly because it was so far ahead when I started), I'd really like to see more.
ShinigamTakuto

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
What was going to be in the LE edition of Fate?
Eruanna

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I am SO excited about this. I will defonatly be buying this series. Heart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this series looks interesting. I'll just have to remember to check this one out come August. *makes mental note*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
ShinigamTakuto wrote:

No one is quite sure, but there were several places that had the limited edition of Fate Stay Night for Vol 3 yet I couldn't find anything. I figured it was a mistake seeing as how there weren't any other LE coming out.

As for Saiunkoku it's been a while since the buzz was out that Geneon was after this series, I am surprised it was announced at Anime Boston....also I figured this would of been sooner announced considering how long the site been registeredfor. But then again often times that doesn't necessarily mean that a company has the license but it's pretty good chance that it's actively going after it.
domino

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Hooray, someone finally licensed a show I want to watch! Good to see a shoujo title getting licensed.

And the only thing this show has in common with "Fushigi Yuugi" is the ancient Chinese-inspired setting, so I really wish that people would stop comparing the two as similar.

I hope they license the manga, too. Lovely art.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
There are similar character designs and a similar setting, so I can see calling it an FY clone if you haven't seen it. But trust me. It's not. I thought Twelve Kingdoms looked like an FY clone from the summary as well. In both cases I could not have been more incorrect.

This is a really great series and I'm genuinely surprised it got licensed!!
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Fushigi Yuugi was a show I started and hated. I loved Saiunkoku though I haven't finished it. To me they are not at all similar except in general setting the most glaring difference there are no girls from our world transported to another. It's more about political intrigue then anything else. This is a great time to license it as most people shouldn't be to mad. The first season just ended and there is only one episde out of the second. We are not being left hanging.

Quote:
I hope the dvd sells well so that they can bring season 2 over sometime soon.

Me too. Especially since there is only one fansub group for the 2nd season and they will now discontinue it and assume the 2nd season is licensed as well.
halo

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I hope they can upgrade the disc w/ box version to the disc w/ box and OST.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
ShinigamTakuto wrote:

No one is quite sure, but there were several places that had the limited edition of Fate Stay Night for Vol 3 yet I couldn't find anything. I figured it was a mistake seeing as how there weren't any other LE coming out.

I thought they were just going to include the soundtrack. Or was that with volume 2? Anyway, I hope we're not missing out on anything concerning this.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I like the look of Saiunkoku and political intrigue is always fun, so I'm probably there for DVD. Assuming of course that Geneon doesn't pull anything crazy like no dub or Singapore it. Not too fond of on the cheap releases.

The mystery of the Fate/Stay Night Volume 3 LE continues. (Maybe whatever it was they were planning will be released further down the road?)
meruhime

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
Hooray, someone finally licensed a show I want to watch! Good to see a shoujo title getting licensed.

And the only thing this show has in common with "Fushigi Yuugi" is the ancient Chinese-inspired setting, so I really wish that people would stop comparing the two as similar.

I hope they license the manga, too. Lovely art.

I don't think there is anything wrong with comparing Fushigi Yuugi to Saiunkoku Monogatari. They have similar character designs and 3 similar voice actors that were in FY that are now in SM (Hotori's voice actor played Sa Sakujun, Chichiri's plays Ryuuki, and Tamahome's plays Seiran). Sa Sakujun's character reminded me a lot of Hotohori and Seiran is very simliar to Tamahome.<3 Those reasons are enough to watch Saiunkoku if you enjoyed Fushigi Yuugi.

I don't think either anime are identical to one another, however they do have some great things in common that make either one great to watch if you like the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3