• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Meet and Greet with Goro Miyazaki

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Ouch poor Goro his father a brillant anime director yet the worse father and husband. Sounds a lot like Shinji and his dad. But that was a good interview, BTW was that report by Dormcat? I think I remember that name from Protoculture Addicts.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He has always been a workaholic and was almost never found at home, leaving very little time left for my mother and me. I think she endured many difficulties compared with most housewives.

Bah, she knew what she was getting into when she married him.

Quote:
In Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, both the direction and the story are very standard as an anime movie should be. I wanted to add something different into my Gedo Senki and make it different, such as adding what's happening around youngsters nowadays; it was something that only I could do.

Dude, he was only a couple years younger than you when he did Cagliostro! And he still had more experience than you do now. You try to do the same movie with the tools he used then, before bad-mouthing him now, brat.
If you didn't have a computer, your arse would be more confused than Anno's production of Cutie Honey.

Quote:
Mr. Hisaishi has been working with my father for a long time, but to me, he is not an easy person to work with, for both he and my father are old, and while two old men can work together with ease, I like having a more youthful working force. In the end, I chose Tamiya Terashima for Gedo Senki, who is less stubborn and more willing to take advice from the director.

Hisaishi's onlly slightly older than Terashima, jerk. And, as any Kitano fan knows, his contributions to film transcend anime and form the basis of modern-day Japanese and Asian cinema in general. What the hell does a punk like you know about art, when you hired some guy who's only known for electronic scores from an obscure-even by Japanese standards-rpg like Y's?
After hearing his arrogant comments, I have a feeling those criticisms of Gedo Senki are gonna be merited.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Sounds a lot like Shinji and his dad.

That's a good analogy which didn't come into my mind (I've watched Evangelion for... 10 minutes or so).

Deltakiral wrote:
BTW was that report by Dormcat? I think I remember that name from Protoculture Addicts.

You can always check my name here. Besides, who else was at Taipei then? Wink I believe there are no more than five active ANN forum participants live in Taiwan.

GATSU wrote:
(Negative comments on Goro Miyazaki)

Wow, you really dislike him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quote
dormcat:
Quote:

That's a good analogy which didn't come into my mind (I've watched Evangelion for... 10 minutes or so).

It doesn't get any better after that. Wink

Quote:

I just think he sounds conceited for a guy who's only able to shoot his first movie because of his dad. Rolling Eyes
chaosbladeuk

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
dormcat:
Quote:

It doesn't get any better after that. Wink

Quote:

I just think he sounds conceited for a guy who's only able to shoot his first movie because of his dad. Rolling Eyes

So do you rather he goes in with the mentalily that 'my dad's brilliant, I pale in comparison' and let him be a lap dog to his dad?
I think if you've been doing something for a while you are allowed to be critical of others. He has worked with the people he has supposedly 'badmouthed', so I think he has a right to air his opinion (whether that changes your opinion of him is completely upto you).

The film industry is extremely hard to get into and if he's found a way in, then all the better for him. It's not what you know, its who you know :p
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quote
chaosbladeuk wrote:
It's not what you know, its who you know :p

For all intents and purposes, I doubt Goro really knows or knew his dad.

In a way I can understand the general frustration with Goro, because he is, afterall, a complete newbie. It's one thing to cut your teeth on things like TV animation or whatever, but to go from being an architect/museum curator/manager to being a director of a multi million dollar movie produced by one of the most famous animation studios in the world, despite a supposed plethora of talent being available nationally and internationally is just a bit too well... odd, and sort of offensive to people who have worked their entire lives in Animation (or a sizeable chunk thereabouts) to not even get that far.

On the other hand, he is somewhat humble about it all, and he did pull off a movie that people did like. I haven't seen it completely, but he managed to pull it off, though it's not exactly spectacular all the way through. Damage is done, so we can all move on, considering this was supposed to be an experiment of sorts (half the budget and half the time, but full length).

As for Gatsu, his opinion and responses entirely stem from overreacting statements and taking them entirely the wrong way, so I wouldn't worry about it. As for the 'tools' used, the method of compiling those sorts of films- storyboards and what not, are generally the same. Even with computer-based 2d animation and being done by hand, the results are generally the same when the people doing it are of a relativley similar level of skill, so maybe if we did have a time machine to prove or disprove irrelevant and stupid paradoxes, Goro may very well have been able to do Castle of Cagliostro, but then again, this is a 20-30 year gap in not just how animation is done, but by how people thought, how they reacted and related to media, and what they actually wanted.

As for the jerk comment towards hisashi, I really think you're overreacting. He never said that Joe wasn't a good composer- personally, his work is fuckin' amazing and really touches something beyond what most composers in Anime can get to, but if someone is difficult to work with, then you don't work with them. Would you rather he had put up with something he couldn't relate to/work with and overall obtain an inferior production, than go with someone he could work better with and well... something something?

I don't expect you to really care about what I've got to say on this as you are, for the most part, stuck with a giant hard-on for disliking people, but I guess it had to be said Smile
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
Regardless of how you feel about Goro...

Quote:
Without my knowledge, he summoned the animation team and told them “you have been working behind schedule and will never be able to catch the premiere, so why not just drop it and hold a strike?” He kept suggesting that the animation staff quit working on the project; I didn't know it until much later. As a father, he never supported me becoming an anime director like him, and that's probably the reason he is always in my way. However, as a creator, it is natural to slow down the progress of your opponent with every possible mean.

That is just plain being a jerk! It is not constructive, it is not passing on of wisdom, it is simply undermining clear as day. I actually have a little more respect for Goro now that he did pull it off. Especially since his team constantly had the Great One in there ear telling them to quit. The team must have felt a lot of pressure from that.

From the looks of it, it sounds like Hayao may have a bit of an inferiority complex. Which with all said he really shouldn't have. Bah....

PS. The third picture does not enlarge to the third picture, it enlarges to the first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Quote:
Without my knowledge, he summoned the animation team and told them “you have been working behind schedule and will never be able to catch the premiere, so why not just drop it and hold a strike?” He kept suggesting that the animation staff quit working on the project

What it looks like to me is that Goro could have seriously lost face if the movie significantly failed to meet deadlines. Hayao could have been trying to give his son an "out" by having the rest of the production staff take the blame.

But of course the "Ghiblies" are professionals; they slave their guts out for the company, no matter who the director is.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote
chaos:
Quote:
So do you rather he goes in with the mentalily that 'my dad's brilliant, I pale in comparison' and let him be a lap dog to his dad?

No, I'd rather he just be his own person, instead of trying to top his dad.

Quote:
He has worked with the people he has supposedly 'badmouthed', so I think he has a right to air his opinion (whether that changes your opinion of him is completely upto you).

To me, it just sounds like he's using them to get attention.

Steven:
Quote:
but if someone is difficult to work with, then you don't work with them.

Perhaps, but he deliberately went after Hisaishi's age as the reason for them not getting along. It's probably even more disrespectful in a country where you're taught to respect elders, but a guy who has no experience seems to trash people who have more experience than him. Frankly, I've had enough of that mentality from a certain President, but it's always more annoying when some pseudo-celebrity exhibits that mentality.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
mrgazpacho wrote:
What it looks like to me is that Goro could have seriously lost face if the movie significantly failed to meet deadlines. Hayao could have been trying to give his son an "out" by having the rest of the production staff take the blame.

It doesn't look that way to me at all. I mean I get what you are saying, but from the multitudes of stories on this subject it doesn't seem like father had any good intentions. If he just wanted to save his sons face, there are so many better ways to go about it. And I refuse to think Hayao as an idiot. To me, it seems he was underming his sons efforts at every turn, and being very sneaky about it as well, so as not to draw attention.

Now I also understand the arguments for Goro not being his own person as well. But if you are committed to doing a film you should help it succeed or stay out of the way, not set it up for failure. If all chips were in a row, and the film still flopped it would have given Hayao not only the higher ground, but better proof that his instincts were right.

With that said, the actual film has had very mixed reviews, complicating the issue further. It brings up a bunch of "what if's" that will hinder the views of what the movie was, and what it could have been, if.

While I still have a great deal of respect for Hayao(in fact I don't think it has gone down any), I think he handled himself poorly at best in this situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cl4y

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

How come? Is that a case where you heard so much about it beforehand that it turned you off from actually watching it? I'm curious.

As for the Goro-trashing, I really didn't interpret any of that as bad-mouthing on his part. The impression I've gotten from his blog and interviews with him is that he's a really humble guy, with only as much self-assuredness as is required to actually make a film. I mean, he praised his father's directing several times, and even admitted that no single part of Gedo Senki is better than any single part of Cagliostro. The fact that he can praise the work of a man who treated him so poorly both at home and in the work place says a lot to me. He could really be an ass for all I know, I'm just saying that what I didn't get that impression from what I've read.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
cl4y wrote:
dormcat wrote:

How come? Is that a case where you heard so much about it beforehand that it turned you off from actually watching it? I'm curious.

No, I simply don't have a chance. None of my friends had it when it was popular in the late 90s, and by the time I'm capable to acquire it myself (either legally or illegally) I have no interest to sit through 26 episodes of a mecha series (something I'm never highly interested) with a puny protagonist filled with angst, not to mention that I already knew the entire plot though many sources.

Something I really wanted to ask Toshio Suzuki: why did you pick Goro?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
cl4y: He praises some aspects of those films while bad-mouthing the ages of the people involved. His mentality is reminiscent of today's Hollywood executives who choose to insert cg in every production to make a quick buck.

dormcat: I'm not sure it was Suzuki's choice, since he doesn't make those decisions. I'm assuming Hayao is still looking for a successor to Ghibli, which is the reason he gave Goro a shot.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
dormcat: I'm not sure it was Suzuki's choice, since he doesn't make those decisions. I'm assuming Hayao is still looking for a successor to Ghibli, which is the reason he gave Goro a shot.

First, Suzuki does, and if I remember correctly it was his choice. Second, Hayao has been against Goro becoming a director (anime director in particular) for a long, long time. No one other than Suzuki or Takahata (who is almost retired) is capable of overthrowing decisions from Miyazaki Sr. at Studio Ghibli.
10円

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
No, I simply don't have a chance. None of my friends had it when it was popular in the late 90s, and by the time I'm capable to acquire it myself (either legally or illegally) I have no interest to sit through 26 episodes of a mecha series (something I'm never highly interested) with a puny protagonist filled with angst, not to mention that I already knew the entire plot though many sources.

That's a surprisingly weak explanation in my view. I'm no mecha fan myself, in fact I actively avoid most mecha series, but even so I still took the time to watch and judge this highly controversial series for myself. As it is your response comes across as rather arrogant to my ears.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2