• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Necroposting.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
Can I revive the Do you have parents that make fun of anime? thread? I had a long thought out post planned but then I saw it was three years since last post.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8085&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
TheSeventhSense--

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion.....

Start a new thread, but place a link to the old thread at the top of your post. It's just a thought.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Make a new thread. Keep your post intact, but just update the opener with your own experience and today's societal sentiment or whatever.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to question/contest this forum's policy on necroposting (triggered by a recent example in the anime forum). I really don't see the problem. These fora don't move fast enough for bumping to be a problem, and I don't really see why any of these discussions are time sensitive. In the anime forum for example, talking about the media shouldn't really be different across different time periods, and I think it would be better for people to talk about things other than just what's extremely recent in the first place.

As for talkback, I don't really see why we can't post in response to old reviews. If we can't comment on them, what are the reviews even there for? Are they somehow invalidated by the fact of them being old? The same with articles as well. It also goes back to my point about the forums not moving fast enough for bumping to really be an issue.

I don't really see what the bad thing is that's supposed to happen when an old discussion gets bumped.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:03 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
As for talkback, I don't really see why we can't post in response to old reviews. If we can't comment on them, what are the reviews even there for? Are they somehow invalidated by the fact of them being old? The same with articles as well. It also goes back to my point about the forums not moving fast enough for bumping to really be an issue.

Reviews are okay to necro. Zac told me himself to let 'em be, no matter how old they are. I would guess because it sort of works like the dedicated anime discussion threads that solely focus on said title. But so much other crap gets posted in Talkback that I think most people just see that forum as more of a soapboxing arena for ranting, whining, and trolling than anything else.

As for the Anime forum, I would say it's more of a "common sense perception" about the passage of time. If most people were to Google questions about something (regardless of time sensitivity content or not), but then found a thread that was years old with no activity for.. I dunno, a decade, I would guarantee 9 out of 10 people would think to themselves, "this is old, I should find something newer and more current" without any kind of hesitation whatsoever because that's what common sense would dictate.

I also believe that 10 years of experience between one topic and another can drastically influence a lot of other things in that span of time like progressive trains of thought, evolving tastes, mental maturity, and whatnot. And putting that kind of contemporary knowledge into an obviously older conversation would seem awkward. Again, as common sense would dictate.

I think it's simply a case of people realizing something is "old." And instead of drudging up old conversations, it'd be just as easy and not as irksome to other peoples' common sense if they start a new topic (maybe with a variation of the old question), instead of necro'ing a thread from who knows how long ago.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
Why is it that there is not a rule about necroposting? The only mention of it in the official rules is "Necroposting is discussed here." which links to this thread. This thread is also where people are sent to learn why they should not necropost.

The first thing that people see in this thread is the "what is necroposting" question, without an answer. That is followed by an unofficial definition, a moderator saying that there is no official rule against necroposting, and some moderators explaining their own policies. This thread does not clearly tell people what they can and cannot do.

So why not make a rule? If "no necroposting" cannot be added to the official rules then I think that there should at least be a post for it in the Announcements & Teh Rules forum, like the post about no listing. People could then be sent to that post for an explanation of what they did wrong. There could be a link in that post to this thread for discussion of the subject.

This current discussion was started when somebody revived an old thread about Trigun. In that particular case, and if anything similar should happen, since the thread was specifically about one particular show and Trigun does not have a discussion thread could that thread have been made the series discussion thread for Trigun? That would make it exempt from the no necroposting rule.

That thread was old and the show is old, but people can still watch the show. I watched it for the first time just a few months ago. I think that this is the reason for allowing series discussion threads to be revived.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
[...]
So why not make a rule? If "no necroposting" cannot be added to the official rules then I think that there should at least be a post for it in the Announcements & Teh Rules forum, like the post about no listing.
People could then be sent to that post for an explanation of what they did wrong. There could be a link in that post to this thread for discussion of the subject.
[...]

Chris Macdonald has made it extremely clear (to me, at least) that he has no intention of further adding to "Teh Rules"; hence, the unwritten rules. I (respectfully) disagree with him, but he's the boss of this website and I'm a mere subscriber.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
@Tony K.:

Ok, cool to hear about the review policy.

I guess the real thing I'm getting at is this: sure, One-Post-Johnny is going to bump a thread and say something stupid, but I don't really see why the thread should be punished for that. If the comment is inane, the thread should bury itself anyway, whether it's locked or not. The only difference is that maybe later someone else could say something meaningful.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Touma wrote:
[...]
So why not make a rule?
If "no necroposting" cannot be added to the official rules then I think that there should at least be a post for it in the Announcements & Teh Rules forum, like the post about no listing.
People could then be sent to that post for an explanation of what they did wrong. There could be a link in that post to this thread for discussion of the subject.
[...]

Chris Macdonald has made it extremely clear (to me, at least) that he has no intention of further adding to "Teh Rules"; hence, the unwritten rules. I (respectfully) disagree with him, but he's the boss of this website and I'm a mere subscriber.

Thanks for that information.
So my idea of adding this to the rules is not going to happen.
But I still think that the "unwritten" rules need to be more well written.Smile

Seriously, why not edit the first post to make it clear to people what is expected?
If anybody actually does follow the link here they should not have to read through the whole thread and try to figure out what is right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I guess the real thing I'm getting at is this: sure, One-Post-Johnny is going to bump a thread and say something stupid, but I don't really see why the thread should be punished for that. If the comment is inane, the thread should bury itself anyway, whether it's locked or not. The only difference is that maybe later someone else could say something meaningful.

From my own experiences here in the last decade, I've never seen that happen to any thread more than a year old. Maybe a year-and-a-half, but certainly not 10.

Locking the thread is more about setting an example for people. Plus, I figure if anyone is still interested in the topic after the thread is locked, it's pretty easy to just start a new one whilst still reprimanding people like One-Post-Johnny who, in all likelihood, joined just to make that one post and will never post again, thereafter.

Touma wrote:
Seriously, why not edit the first post to make it clear to people what is expected? If anybody actually does follow the link here they should not have to read through the whole thread and try to figure out what is right.

Initially, I think this thread was just discussing the subtleties of necroposting; what does or doesn't count to certain users, what should be a good cutoff point, etc.

My understanding of having this "policy" in the first place is that it's not a rule because it's sort of a "general consensus" thing from the public as opposed to some terrible violation of conduct or decorum as decreed by admin like the actual rules are supposed to be.

People have been more so in the majority against necroposting, and I'd be fine with making a definitive opening post about it. But again, it's a general consensus, meaning I'm expecting all of you to work on this together to agree on a good explanation. Otherwise, if I write the thing myself, people will think I'm being bossy or "over-stepping my boundaries and making up rules," as Zac would say..
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
So how would people like me to edit my OP? I'm open to suggestions.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
So how would people like me to edit my OP? I'm open to suggestions.

One thing that needs to be done is to decide on a time limit. 6 months? 12 months?

Exceptions, such as series discussions, should be noted.

Give the reasons for discouraging necroposting.

I can't think of anything else right now.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
How's this?EDIT:Revised to quote mdo7. Revised to attribute definition to egoist. Revised to quote st_owly.

The following rules are based on what Key and Tony K. have written, as well as with input from the users of this site.

"Necroposting is the act of resurrecting very old threads instead of creating a new one."
--egoist

1. In the Talkback forum time-sensitive topics have at most 2 months of shelf life before timing out.
    • Please note that reviews ARE NOT time sensitive, and thus are exempt from the above sentence -- THEY NEVER TIME OUT.
  2. With the exception of the talkback forum, a thread has 12 months of shelf life.

Key wrote:
    [...]
    Beyond those cases, I'll generally count it as necroposting once a year has passed unless the new posts have strong and still-relevant content.

A good rule of thumb is that if you're taking an older topic in a new direction with your new post, you're probably better off starting a new topic. If you're responding to earlier comments, you shouldn't bother if it's more than 3-4 months old unless you're providing information on a never-answered question.

mdo7 wrote:
[...]
So if you want to revive a old thread without violating the necropost rule, you'll have to create a new thread and when you do create a new thread regarding that old thread you want to revive, link the old thread you're talking about on to the new thread you're making, that way other ANN forumites know this is a thread revival hence you're not violating the necropost rule.

Here's another reason that necroposting is not allowed:
st_owly wrote:
"[...] if you necrobump an old thread, there's a very high likelihood that most of the people who posted in it haven't visited the forum for years, so it's pointless replying to them.

Last edited by nobahn on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
@nbahn: OK that I can agree with. So some thread like reviews, recommendation, and dedicated series thread are exempt from the necroposting rule.

So if you want to revive a old thread without violating the necropost rule, you'll have to create a new thread and when you do create a new thread regarding that old thread you want to revive, link the old thread you're talking about on to the new thread you're making, that way other ANN forumites know this is a thread revival hence you're not violating the necropost rule.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
Revised my "How's this?" posting to quote mdo7 and to attribute definition to egoist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11