• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jomei Jostar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote
Here's a list of manga I recommend if you haven't read them yet:

[EDIT: Read the rules. No listing. -TK]
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I am in the mood for some new manga I have:
Attack on Titan
Bleach
Deadman Wonderland
Death Note
Fruits Basket
Juvenile Orion
I Am Here
Magic Knight Rayearth
Another
.Hack///Legend of the Twilight
Naruto
Nisekoi
Shaman King

I feel my collection is....well lacking on variety, so basically anything even nonmainstream would be perfect as long as no hentai. I do enjoy shojo, shonen, fantasy, horror, sci-fi can work....basically open to anything. Debating on Bakuman since I love making manga/graphic novels myself just the ending >.<
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Give Blue Exorcist a try. It might be a Shonen Jump title, but sometimes things are popular for a reason. It's a really fun fantasy series.

I think you might also enjoy Arisa. It's a shojo horror/mystery and it's very very enjoyable. I had an inkling of whodunnit early on, but the way it gets to the reveal is definitely worth it. It is a bit contrived sometimes, but it's worth it. There's a review of the first volume here If you like it pick up Kitchen Princess by the same artist as well.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I have Blue Exorcist volume one via digital....I enjoy it about as much as Bleach maybe a tad more because of the concept.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Any good horror manga besides Another and Uzumaki?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
If you're willing to go with older stuff, I felt Drifting Classroom was a pretty decent horror manga. It wasn't what I'd call hardcore horror, mind you, but technically it's listed as horror. Suspense is more what I'd list it as, and it was pretty decent.
ZeusPanda

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Looking for a manga that embodies requirements: deep characters, character development, good story, and mature.

Here are some manga I like and why:

Berserk- A masterpiece of a manga. It's written like an epic. The MC goes through hardship growing up (as an orphan from birth and living as a mercenary ever since. He grows as a character, but the environment around him doesn't let him grow linearly as he grows but then is battered down. The author maims his MC mentally and physically in addition to the normal catalysts of character development being death around the MC. Great story centered around revenge.

Claymore- A great manga and has a lot to offer. It doesn't even seem like it has reached its peak yet seeing how there is a lot more story to uncover. The MC grows from being a castaway and taken in by a warrior who ends up dying and initiating the motive for the MC to seek revenge for most of the series. She ends up growing to consider other options for living as a boy enters her company. Goes into some detail about the major characters in the story and some good back story, too.

Vinland Saga - A great manga similar to Berserk and Claymore that the MC is seeking vengeance for the death of other people, and alongside this seek of vengeance there is great development of the main character to becoming a political activist and a sword saint (in a way).

Please include explanations for your recommendations.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
So you like medieval fantasy that's not afraid of the blood and guts?
Try Madara, written by Eiji Otsuka and drawn by Shou Tajima - the same people who created MPD-Psycho. It's about a kid with mechanical arms who fight demons and an evil king. It was put out by CMX, which means it's well out of print, but it's short, it was printed in full before CMX's demise, and easy to find secondhand for reasonable prices.

If you like that, you should give Otsuka's other works (MPD-Psycho and Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service) a try, even if they tend to lean more toward modern settings and more conventional horror (and are sadly much harder to get). While his works tend to be gruesome, he's by and large one of the best horror manga writers out there.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Think I'll just mention Banana Fish here, the most manly shojo ever. It's actually got some similarities to Sanctuary which I'll also recommend, in that they were both political power struggle bromances (yet Sanctuary is seinen and Banana Fish is shojo, though you'd never guess it). They both got deep and intricate plots with plenty of characters and fantasy politic struggles! I love fantasy politics (not real world politics, that's just depressing) and both plots are highly engaging. And of course, bromance. Both series have sex, but Banana Fish's all seems to be off-page gay rape, one of the few shojo to not portray rape as a good thing actually. But that's not why they're mature series, so check them both out!
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
You have A series like Vagabond with is very mature in it's story telling, great character and a world which feels like it develops behind the scenes. An obvious mature manga would be Battle Royale; brutal, disturbing and very enjoyable. The characters are superb in this series, with many having a deep and complex back story. Murder, rape and gore are major players in this series (nasty but gritty).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
I'm looking for recommendations, specifically on manhwa only. I know I haven't been fair to everything over the years, but now I'm looking to make up for that (perhaps I'm running out of manga to buy?) I don't have too many manhwa on my shelves (less, there's Goong, One Thousand and One Nights, Hotel Africa, Devil's Trill, Threads of Time and Witch Buster), but I do enjoy them, they are all great series. I'm starting to discover why K-dramas are like crack as well.

But I've also noticed that any company that published solely manhwa was doomed to go out of business (I think Net Comics is out? And Ice Kunion is out, though Yen absorbed them), so it mostly seems to be Yen now (and some form Seven Seas), and there's old Tokyopop too, naturally. It seems a bit hard for me to find good info or recommendations on it, so I'm asking here! The only thing I really ask is for things that are either complete or ongoing by a company that still puts out books (like Yen), so no incomplete things that will never be completed, please.

Ah yes, and before I almost forget, I borrowed v 1-3 of Bride of the Water God from a friend, I did not like it. It was quite pretty, but the story was abnormally difficult to follow and bored me. I'll stick with Goong for my weird forced marriage manhwa.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:54 am Reply with quote
I'll flesh these out a bit more later when I don't have to deal with an exploding bottle of soy sauce and 15,000 boxes... Looking at my manhwa shelf, I'd suggest Cynical Orange. It's a high school story, but the lead is so snarky it's unbelievable.
Chocolat shows you the dark side of the Korean idol culture, and it's utterly cracktastic. Yen released the final volume at last about a year ago (it changed publishers and went on hiatus in Korea for ages)
Very Very Sweet by the same authors as Chocolate is a really daft high school romance, but again it's really fun. Complete at 8 volumes though I think volume 6 is a bit difficult to find.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Alright, think I'll add those to my list for right now.

Some other things I looked into but want more info on are:
Hissing
Tarot Cafe
Blade of Heaven (but it looks like the last 5 weren't published, thanks, Tokyopop)
Crazy Love Story
Honey Mustard
Love or Money
Phantom
Rebirth (also incomplete)
Narration of Love at 17
Little Queen
Soul to Seoul
Recast
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
Uhm... how about Real Lies by Li See Young? It's a one-shot volume with three sciencefiction stories. It reminded me a bit of Mitsukazu Mihara's work with maybe some old-timey shojo thrown in.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
Real Lies is good too. I have that as well. I do see the resemblance to Mitsukazu Mihara now you mention it. Honey Mustard is good but incomplete. It was cancelled in Korea at 4 volumes, all of which TP published.
Tarot Cafe is good as well. I borrowed it from a friend in high school. I wouldn't say it's worth lots of effort to track down, but if you can find a set cheap/get it from the library, go for it.

Hissing is one I've been interested in for a while, but I've yet to actually pick up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 33