• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Dragon Ball Z Kai Anime Series to Premiere on April 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
Frankly, from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense to replace Toriko with Dragon Ball Kai. I'm surprised it even took them this long.
Kai managed to be an anti-commercial for Dragon Ball merch, which is why it was canned to begin with. This is only happening because of western interest.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
The only thing I'm concerned about is Toriko being cancelled, being put on hiatus or is it being moved to a new time slot? I realize that it's catching up to the manga but I wouldn't want it outright cancelled. :'(

It's basically guaranteed to be ending. It's rushing to catch up to the manga at a good break point, and would be going into filler hell if it tried to continue. And anime don't really go on "hiatus".
sonicgx11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Fairy tail went on hiatus though
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
sakuragtin wrote:
The only thing I'm concerned about is Toriko being cancelled, being put on hiatus or is it being moved to a new time slot? I realize that it's catching up to the manga but I wouldn't want it outright cancelled. :'(

It's basically guaranteed to be ending. It's rushing to catch up to the manga at a good break point, and would be going into filler hell if it tried to continue. And anime don't really go on "hiatus".

I've never really understood why a lot of people seem to rather anime they like take a "Break" instead of stick around for filler. The chances of an anime actually returning when it ends are miniscule... Fairy Tail was just a rare exception. Once it ends, the manga magazine behind it are often looking forward to see what the next big thing is they can promote with an anime, instead of looking to continue the long runner they had already ended.
happyfly1188

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
[quote="Tsukento"][quote="the-antihero"]I ask FUNimation to put in Bruce Faulconer's music, it would really spice up the series that way.[/quote]
For the love of god, no.

Why, oh, why is it that people ask for this kind of thing to happen, yet complain when it would happen for any other series?[/quote]

This true!! lol
happyfly1188

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
I don't know much of its production, but if it took this long they could have reanimated that whole saga. The only reason why I they may not have done it is because the previous sagas aren't reanimated.
At least we're getting the Buu Saga at last. AND A NEW SCORE TOO YAAAYYY Wink Very Happy Laughing [/code]
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I've never really understood why a lot of people seem to rather anime they like take a "Break" instead of stick around for filler.

It is really quite simple. Filler can (and usually does) turn a good/passable series into utter crap. I'd rather the series take a hiatus and then get good material once it resumes, than have the series on air all the time but so bad that it's virtually unwatchable anyway.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I've never really understood why a lot of people seem to rather anime they like take a "Break" instead of stick around for filler.

It is really quite simple. Filler can (and usually does) turn a good/passable series into utter crap. I'd rather the series take a hiatus and then get good material once it resumes, than have the series on air all the time but so bad that it's virtually unwatchable anyway.

But its normally a choice of "Do I want a series I like to continue or end?". For every Fairy Tail, there are 20 series that "Take a break" and never return. I'd rather a series go into filler and stick around then just ending.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
I ask FUNimation to put in Bruce Faulconer's music, it would really spice up the series that way.

dtm42 wrote:
Very true.

And it would annoy the heck out of penguintruth, which is good in its own way.

There's not really a point in arguing about this because it will not happen, but I think it's a sad state of affairs that people are so spiteful and fucked up about this.
Zixeon14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yeah look at Bleach lol (Before the Aizen arc, and after too.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
@RyanSaotome:

Well, speaking for myself, I'd rather a good series ends while it is still good, even if it is incomplete. Much more preferable than it debasing itself by continuing on, so that it is no longer the show I once loved and needs to be taken out back and put down like the diseased animal it is.

Take Bleach. It went on for so long and got so awful that I ended up hating it. I wish it had instead ended after sixty-odd good episodes, which would have left me disappointed that it had to end unfinished but still happy with what I got. In fact, even better, I'd rather it had simply gone on a series of planned hiatuses. Worked for Bakuman.

A six-month-on six-month-off business model is far more sustainable and far-sighted than pushing for a series to be on air without any breaks. After all, if the anime is supposed to be an advertisement for the manga, then isn't the smart thing to do is to make the anime actually good and fresh so that people will have a good impression of the franchise?

Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
There's not really a point in arguing about this because it will not happen, but I think it's a sad state of affairs that people are so spiteful and fucked up about this.

Exactly. Penguintruth is so insane and asinine when it comes to Dragonball music and voice acting that he really brings everyone down.
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
the-antihero wrote:
I ask FUNimation to put in Bruce Faulconer's music, it would really spice up the series that way.

dtm42 wrote:
Very true.

And it would annoy the heck out of penguintruth, which is good in its own way.

Besides, they wouldn't do it anyway, FUNimation is trying to keep their dub as faithful to the original Japanese version as possible; however, there have been questions as to how faithful the unedited dub and the U.S. Dragon Boxes have been.
DerekPadula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I have exclusive news with Christopher Sabat about the new Dragon Ball Z Kai Majin Buu Arc and FUNimation.

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/news/funimation-not-dubbing-new-dragon-ball-z-kai/

He talks about their plans for the English dub.
kamina170

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well I think we know what will be replacing Space Dandy on Toonami now. The dubbers have been hard at work on this for a while after all

Except they've said plenty of times that they don't have the rights to air anything DB related because Nicktoons does.
didn't nicktoons removed everything Dragon Ball Z kai a long time ago?
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Its really quite simple, Don't watch the filler. Filler only lowers a fantastic Animes rating slightly. I don't take off more then 1 point on the myanimelist scoring system for filler and nor should anyone. Filler is called filler for a reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4