• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Dragon Ball Z Kai Anime Series to Premiere on April 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
aeris2001x2 wrote:
Its really quite simple, Don't watch the filler.

Difficult and tiresome to do that when the filler is scattered in amongst canon material. Gotta skip the first five and last five minutes of every episode, as they are just recaps and useless omake respectively; okay, simple enough, although it means you wait a week for roughly ten minutes of actual show. Then in that ten minutes you gotta fast-forward through all the extraneous scenes with filler jokes and filler discussions and endless filler staredowns; highly annoying to say the least. And let's not forget about the incessant and pervasive filler flashbacks.

Really, you never see a show relegate all of its filler into dedicated (and easily-skippable) arcs. Even Bleach with its several huge filler arcs still crams filler into every nook and cranny of the supposedly canon episodes.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
DerekPadula wrote:
I have exclusive news with Christopher Sabat about the new Dragon Ball Z Kai Majin Buu Arc and FUNimation.

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/news/funimation-not-dubbing-new-dragon-ball-z-kai/

He talks about their plans for the English dub.

It's called damage control, a lot of VAs (not just Sean & Kyle) confirmed it months ago and FUNi's angry that they broke their Non-disclosure agreements so at this point, expect a lot of lying & teasing from the cast until FUNi officially announces the license and Buu arc cast themselves.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Kutsu wrote:
Frankly, from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense to replace Toriko with Dragon Ball Kai. I'm surprised it even took them this long.
Kai managed to be an anti-commercial for Dragon Ball merch, which is why it was canned to begin with. This is only happening because of western interest.

But why have it shown on Japanese TV and replace Toriko? Couldn't they have just released it on DVD/Blu-Ray?

@DerekPadula

Pretty much what NJ_ said. This happens all the time in many industries when someone says something they weren't suppose to or something leak. They will deny/lie/etc till the very end; till the company decides to say so.
DerekPadula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Very possible. If so, then I'll let Chris' words speak for themselves when they pull that card out of their sleeve later this year. Shame on him, I say! Smile
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
kamina170 wrote:
Tsukento wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well I think we know what will be replacing Space Dandy on Toonami now. The dubbers have been hard at work on this for a while after all

Except they've said plenty of times that they don't have the rights to air anything DB related because Nicktoons does.
didn't nicktoons removed everything Dragon Ball Z kai a long time ago?

That was last spring. The show is Vortexx-exclusive now.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
sonicgx11 wrote:
Fairy tail went on hiatus though

Fairy Tail didn't go on hiatus. It ended, and a new series was quickly negotiated. That's part of why it had some staff and studio changes. Likewise the Bakuman anime didn't go on hiatus any more than the A Certain Magical Index series went on hiatus. One series ended, and was successful enough, or there was enough interest, to quickly negotiate a sequel series. That's part of why they typically reset the episode count and have a modification to the title.

Pretty much the only time an anime series actually goes on hiatus is the occasional split cour series like Gundam 00, or Silver Spoon, where it's announced from near the start that they will have a gap in airing.

Really, the bottom line is that too many people are involved in an anime for one to just "go on hiatus". The studios, staff, and actors can't be reserving a spot in their schedule for something they can't guarantee a timeframe for a return.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
kamina170 wrote:
didn't nicktoons removed everything Dragon Ball Z kai a long time ago?

Doesn't mean they no longer have the TV rights. Remember how long it took Toonami to get Naruto Shippuden because Disney Anime hyper still had the rights, even though they did absolutely nothing with it for a while.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
It's good that their going to stop Toriko (for now). Considering it just finished a major arc in the manga this past month (or was it January?) it's a very good place to stop and come back at a later date when there's more source material to adapt.

Now with Dragon Ball replacing it, I'm not too keen since Kai wasn't great given that it only condensed the number of episodes by half when it could have been even shorter. And as others have mentioned, the show bombed in Japan. The slot is more or less a prime time slot so I'm sure there are many other shows that could have taken Toriko's place instead.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Now with Dragon Ball replacing it, I'm not too keen since Kai wasn't great given that it only condensed the number of episodes by half when it could have been even shorter. And as others have mentioned, the show bombed in Japan. The slot is more or less a prime time slot so I'm sure there are many other shows that could have taken Toriko's place instead.

If Kai bombed, Toriko was a colossal flop rarely seen.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

"A common theory being tossed around right now is that Toriko will either be canceled or put on hiatus, with Dragon Ball Kai reclaiming its timeslot in the “Dream 9″ block once again this coming April or May."

Man, Kanzenshuu really called it didn't they?

I also gotta say, I never thought that the revenue of the Toriko franchise paled so much in comparison to that of Dragon Ball. I mean this is a franchise that is being hyped by Toei as the next big thing and it can outperform a more than twenty year old franchise that hasn't had new TV series installment since 1997. I mean, I know Dragon Ball is very popular in Japan and all but... damn.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
sonicgx11 wrote:
Fairy tail went on hiatus though

Fairy Tail didn't go on hiatus. It ended, and a new series was quickly negotiated. That's part of why it had some staff and studio changes. Likewise the Bakuman anime didn't go on hiatus any more than the A Certain Magical Index series went on hiatus. One series ended, and was successful enough, or there was enough interest, to quickly negotiate a sequel series. That's part of why they typically reset the episode count and have a modification to the title.

Pretty much the only time an anime series actually goes on hiatus is the occasional split cour series like Gundam 00, or Silver Spoon, where it's announced from near the start that they will have a gap in airing.

Really, the bottom line is that too many people are involved in an anime for one to just "go on hiatus". The studios, staff, and actors can't be reserving a spot in their schedule for something they can't guarantee a timeframe for a return.

Fairy Tail went on hiatus. The last ep was aired on March 30th. Hiro Mashima wrote on his twitter on March 6th, "Anime is not the end. Don't stop believing"
https://twitter.com/hiro_mashima/status/309389328130392064

you don't make sense if they didn't announced before the series start that means the anime ended? no, it just means they didn't say anything. Sometimes, they will said it will continue in the last ep. We also knew there will be more bakuman before the first reason ended.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
Why, oh, why is it that people ask for this kind of thing to happen, yet complain when it would happen for any other series?

Nostalgia. They saw DBZ as kids so they're used to the music and bad dub. If it happened to a currently airing show then yes people will complain because they have no fond memories of that show as kids. Believe it or not a lot of those old hacked up dubs like Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Cardcaptors, and Robotech have fans who will defend them.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Tsukento wrote:
Why, oh, why is it that people ask for this kind of thing to happen, yet complain when it would happen for any other series?

Nostalgia. They saw DBZ as kids so they're used to the music and bad dub.

Nostalgia is a double-edged sword. It could also mean how someone remembers watching DBZ when it was still airing in Japan.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

'Ok in the ratings'...it did amazing in the ratings for today's standards. Its 9.4% average is superior to One Piece's 2013 average.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4