• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Super Plastic - Bringing Super Deformed Back

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:48 am Reply with quote
....Wait a minute...there's only six other people who read Super Plastic weekly, other than me?! I just started this place two months ago!!!

0_o

Cute Rin figure, but....call me stupid....I didn't notice which one was her 'Fonzie' pose.....

The Eva 01 F figure was also awesome. But I'd like to have seen more pictures...the one that was used was too small to show off its' incredible detail.

...Seriously--only six other people read this regularly?! I don't even collect figures!! 0_o

EDIT: When I say, 'started', I meant 'started visiting'.

Last edited by Levitz9 on Tue May 08, 2007 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote
Hey, I read it every week. Anime hyper

And I highly agree with the unreasonable demand for more male based figures and models. I love putting together garage kits, though to date I've only put together one. Why? Out of over 100+ anime series I have watched, there have been only *6* anime females I can tolerate. But my favorite males list stretch across the horizon. And espically in the garage kit catagory, male models are pretty much non-existant. Crying or Very sad I mean, just look at Eva. There are thousands of figures of the girls and the mechs, but where are all the Shinji and Koaru figures? I've only seen a very small handful. (And I'm even more saddened by that new Koaru figure where they turn him into a girl. Evil or Very Mad )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:

And I highly agree with the unreasonable demand for more male based figures and models. I love putting together garage kits, though to date I've only put together one. Why? Out of over 100+ anime series I have watched, there have been only *6* anime females I can tolerate. But my favorite males list stretch across the horizon. And espically in the garage kit catagory, male models are pretty much non-existant. Crying or Very sad I mean, just look at Eva. There are thousands of figures of the girls and the mechs, but where are all the Shinji and Koaru figures? I've only seen a very small handful. (And I'm even more saddened by that new Koaru figure where they turn him into a girl. Evil or Very Mad )

Hmm....unless it contributed to the growth of the number of fangirls, I agree.
WorldofElegance

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
My demand made it! Huzzah!

I guess I need to borrow my friend's Japanese language books and start learning...because I would love to write a letter to the Japanese companies requesting more male statues. I really do think it's high time that I can have a nice anime guy to go with my Square men. Very Happy

And I'm happy to be one of the seven people that read this column...I've never been able to find good reviews for anime statues before, and this column has taught me a lot about my favorite form of collecting.
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:

I'm not sure any of us can actually say that. If the column actually showed up every week though...
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quote
Count me in that seven.

I don't have too many figures, and the ones that I have were acquired pretty haphazardly (at cons, on impulse), but I really dig the column. At least I'm getting better ideas about what to look for when my future urges strike.

And I can't emphasize enough how much I appreciate the care tips from one of the earlier columns. Until I read it I was actually keeping my most expensive and newest piece in what was quite possibly one of the worst places in my home for a figure to live (waaaaaaaaaaaay too much light).
Odekerk

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't collect figures either, and I always read this column.

>_>
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
CrazyCanuck wrote:
Kiyoko wrote:

I'm not sure any of us can actually say that. If the column actually showed up every week though...

It's a biweekly column. We have several of those here, including Right Turn Only and Buried Treasure and Shelf Life.

Also, Adam's comment about only 6 people reading the column is self-deprecating sarcasm. He isn't serious, folks.
Asako

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy the column so much!! I always look forward to it Smile But then again I look forward to many columns.

But one of the things I love about it is that there is no forum that is really dedicated to models (though retail will be closest I think). So it makes it unique and much appreciated in my eyes! I've never knew how to critique a figure/model before, so I'm very interested in comments, and what to look for.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
WorldofElegance wrote:
My demand made it! Huzzah!

I guess I need to borrow my friend's Japanese language books and start learning...because I would love to write a letter to the Japanese companies requesting more male statues. I really do think it's high time that I can have a nice anime guy to go with my Square men. Very Happy
You and my sister would get along so well on this issue. She's a huge figure collector and it really annoys her how there are all these great male characters that she'd love to have figures of, but no one will make them.

About the only one I've seen recently is Van from Gun Sword.

That Rin figure is actually kind of cute, although I don't think I'd be willing to pay that much for her. (I've never seen Fate/Stay Night but wow is Rin nice looking. Making a super-deformed version of her seems very wrong somehow.)

Also, am I the only one who thinks the Commander looks embarrased about being there with her? I think he's having some bad flashbacks to his days as a used car salesman. Wink
adam16bit

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Also, Adam's comment about only 6 people reading the column is self-deprecating sarcasm. He isn't serious, folks.

He's right. The readership is at least half that.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:12 am Reply with quote
Well, if you like One Piece, there are plenty of male statues/figures there.

The Portrait of Pirates line has : Luffy, Sanji, Zoro, Usopp, Ace, and Smoker in a high-grade form.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:12 am Reply with quote
Bah. I hate when they have a million Batman figures... and one villian. Maybe a Robin. I hunt down non-Batman Batman figures like crazy.

Also, I'm going to Japan the end of this week. Should I flush my wallet down the toilet now or wait until I get there? Also, how soon will my head asplode as soon as I walk into any shop with figures.
supercait86

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
I've seen the pictures of the Death Note and Haruhi Nendoroids and just thought they were too irresistably cute. My extreme cheapness wins over my weakness for cuteness though.

The Xenos wrote:

Also, I'm going to Japan the end of this week. Should I flush my wallet down the toilet now or wait until I get there? Also, how soon will my head asplode as soon as I walk into any shop with figures.

Are you going to Akihabara? Being from Ohio where I rarely see any figures in a store, it was amazing to see so much at once. Have fun!
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
therealssjlink wrote:
Well, if you like One Piece, there are plenty of male statues/figures there.

The Portrait of Pirates line has : Luffy, Sanji, Zoro, Usopp, Ace, and Smoker in a high-grade form.

There's actually a few other of the more popular shows that have an extensive line of male figures, such as Naruto and Bleach. Also, while a lot of them may be OOP, there were quite a few JoJo figures.

Also, for you people wanting more male figures, until such time as the anime market - and the even more niche market of figures - has a much broader base of female fans, I doubt you're going to see many male figures in the near future.

EDIT: Oh and Adam, I read and enjoy the column very much. Keep up the excellent work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2