• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Spring 2014-The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:53 am Reply with quote
Sure. If she's an heiress, I suppose.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
So the bulk of female characters are pretty much defined entirely by how they relate to men.

Best first post ever.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
So the bulk of female characters are pretty much defined entirely by how they relate to men.

Best first post ever.

How so? Other posters have pointed out that out of a grand total of four female characters mentioned, only two of their descriptions mention how they relate to men. So unless your personal definition of "bulk" means 50%, that statement makes no sense. And as somebody else pointed out, it's pretty dumb to conclude that these brief thumbnail sketches represent the totality of the characters being described.

So what is it about this inaccurate, lame post that tickles you so?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

How so? Other posters have pointed out that out of a grand total of four female characters mentioned, only two of their descriptions mention how they relate to men. So unless your personal definition of "bulk" means 50%, that statement makes no sense. And as somebody else pointed out, it's pretty dumb to conclude that these brief thumbnail sketches represent the totality of the characters being described.

Regardless of the accuracy of the statement, I laughed pretty uproariously upon seeing it, as I wasn't expecting that from a first post in response to one of these Spotlight articles. Usually, the first post is some kind of commentary about how "I've been waiting for this one forever," or "looks interesting, I will put it on my watch list," or "cool, another [insert genre description] show!"

Instead, this time the first post was a very succinct, very cutting criticism of not only the show's (typically cheesy) description, but also of anime in general's often superficial treatment of female characterization. I found it to be extremely humorous.

Now, as far as the accuracy of the statement, it is certainly clear that at least two of the four female characters have been described in a way that strongly depends on their relationship to "men." However, I also think given that the girl Ritsu Kawai is almost certainly being described/set-up as the "main hero" high-school boy's love interest, who "has few friends" and sometimes "shows a few cute sides expected of a high-school girl," her gender role is likewise being heavily implied in this case. I think we can all expect exactly what her character arc will be like, although I hope the show proves me wrong.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
Thanks for explaining. It sounds like the unexpectedness of the statement is what mostly struck your funny bone. Fair enough.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
I'll check this out.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
A beautiful, big-breasted woman with no luck in finding men

Does. Not. Compute.

she must live on the island of /a/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Thanks for explaining. It sounds like the unexpectedness of the statement is what mostly struck your funny bone. Fair enough.

I also found this response by you to be almost equally hilarious, for similar reasons:

Blood- wrote:
Quote:
A beautiful, big-breasted woman with no luck in finding men

Does. Not. Compute.

Yes, I can compliment you sometimes Smile
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Even if it's not some sort of ecchi harem nonsense, the descriptions seem to veer a little too far into a type of romantic comedy that I'd probably not enjoy, so this sounds like I'm going to give it a complete miss unless people start raving about it.
bastek66

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Christ, this title sounds so bad. Completly missinforming potential watcher.
I read few chapters of manga, really enjoyable.
Nothing like Sakurasou.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Does the character description have to include "big breasted"? I mean we can clearly see that from the character design... I lost most of my interest as soon as I read that though I keep some hope that the fact they mentioned this was to make us wonder why she has no luck as she has some considerable assets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Does the character description have to include "big breasted"? I mean we can clearly see that from the character design... I lost most of my interest as soon as I read that though I keep some hope that the fact they mentioned this was to make us wonder why she has no luck as she has some considerable assets.

Having just watched my DVDs of Wagnaria!! season 2 Working'!!, one of Takanashi's older sisters is beautiful and stacked... and a whiny, clingy, codependent drunkard who only shows up on-camera to announce that she's been dumped again. Even in anime, one can be unlucky in love when one is beautiful. Wink

(One would think those would be better traits than "big-breasted" to list in a two-sentence character profile, though.)
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Regardless of the accuracy of the statement, I laughed pretty uproariously upon seeing it, as I wasn't expecting that from a first post in response to one of these Spotlight articles. Usually, the first post is some kind of commentary about how "I've been waiting for this one forever," or "looks interesting, I will put it on my watch list," or "cool, another [insert genre description] show!"

Instead, this time the first post was a very succinct, very cutting criticism of not only the show's (typically cheesy) description, but also of anime in general's often superficial treatment of female characterization. I found it to be extremely humorous.

Now, as far as the accuracy of the statement, it is certainly clear that at least two of the four female characters have been described in a way that strongly depends on their relationship to "men." However, I also think given that the girl Ritsu Kawai is almost certainly being described/set-up as the "main hero" high-school boy's love interest, who "has few friends" and sometimes "shows a few cute sides expected of a high-school girl," her gender role is likewise being heavily implied in this case. I think we can all expect exactly what her character arc will be like, although I hope the show proves me wrong.

I'll reserve judgment on Ritsu until the show airs. On occasion I lapse in ability to give a show the benefit of the doubt, but I do plan to watch and judge it fairly. Your response covered my impressions pretty well.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
"No Game, No Life." Sounds so on-the-nose that I'd almost think it was satire.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
"No Game, No Life." Sounds so on-the-nose that I'd almost think it was satire.

Almost. That "no X no life" phrase is just really weird to me, and reminds me of all of the other jibberish English the Japanese use, like "my pace."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14