• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Impenetrable Markets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I really wonder when this subset of western fans who are obsessed with the possibility of Japan caring about western tastes will finally die out. Because they're always "JAPAN'S GONNA LISTEN TO US ONE DAY AND MAKE THE NEXT COWBOY BEBOP". They need to realize that that will basically never happen. Not only it anime niche even in Japan but Japan is not a fan of caring about what gaijin think no matter where they come from. When are these western fans finna stop...

If they could make lots of money, they would probably consider it, but there is not enough paying Western fans to make that even a consideration.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I think there could be a small market for Drama CDs in the US. If they were used for intermediate/advanced Japanese classes, they could well sell at least a few hundred.

I sometimes listen to the Toradora! Drama CDs. They're not that difficult to understand if you've been learning Japanese for a few years (and they'd be easier to translate than entire prose novels).
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I too don't think Japan doesn't as much not care about American fans and their taste, but does not understand it. So they don't bother with it. They do sometimes hit it by pure accident, but in those situations, the series fails in Japan. So, they pretty much stopped trying. The luckiest of anime fans are the one who have the same tastes as the Japanese fans, cause the pampering rubs off on us too.

As for Drama CDs, they are amusing, but I doubt you could sell them in America. Maybe if you dubbed them, but I doubt it would be worth it. There will never be more sales just because you include a dubbed CD, and it will cost that much more.

Yeah it's unfortunate, sadly, Japan won't make MP3 or podcast version of these dramas avaliable. BTW, putting radio dramas as podcast seem to be working well according to a Guardian article in the UK and a Wall Street Journal article. I know Radio drama in Japan are popular, but as Justin said there's not a big market in the US for it and Japan doesn't make use of MP3 or podcast to distribute these radio dramas. So it's not worth it.

Also I agreed Japan doesn't really take the international market as they used to, I think Japan dropped the ball compared to their Asian's neighbor which I won't mention their name, but Japan's neighbor take the international market seriously and make sure they don't ignore the fanbases.

About the 2nd part: Yes I agreed why some anime releases don't have dub in them, the cost of dubbing anime can be expensive, so I don't mind they sacrifice the dub to keep the companies going. But it won't make dub fans happy.

About the 3rd part: it's not only that, there's another reason why Hollywood premiere in Japan is dead last, it's because Japan's movie market isn't as big it used to be. I remember in the past, Japan (and Hong Kong) used to be where Hollywood do their Asian premiere, but that's no longer the case anymore. We've seen Hollywood films doing Asian premiere in Mainland China, but now the premiere for Hollywood films in Asia is in South Korea, that country became the 5th largest movie market worldwide. From what I observed, more Hollywood films are getting Asian premiere in South Korea not in Japan, Mainland China, or Hong Kong as they used to in the past. Yes South Korea is now where Hollywood film do their premiere, Japan's movie market is not as big as it used to hence why Hollywood films seem to premiere in Japan dead last. So if Hollywood want to target the Asian market, South Korea goes first, Japan and China goes later. It's no wonder why CNN said South Korea is the "Hollywood of the East". I believe Will Smith back in 2012 praise the Korean film market.

I don't know what to add for the 4th question/answer because I don't read manga on CR.

EDIT 3: adding the Wall Street Journal article titled Return With Us to the Thrilling Days Of Yesteryear—Via the Internet.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

VHD: Bloodlust seemed to do OK here, but behind the scenes was a special kind of clusterfuck that I'm still trying to get someone in the know to go on the record about. Someday...

Speaking of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, is that movie stuck in some sort of licensing hell? It's easily number one on my list of stuff that desperately needs a rescue and Blu-ray remaster.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
So an English speaking audience could never influence marketing decisions in Japan?

I think we're forgetting about a little unpopular girl named Kuroki Tomoko. Who's fault is it that she's not popular? It's definitely not the English speaking audience I can tell you that. It was the Japanese otaku's reaction that initially made her unpopular, however they advertised on the physical manga release that it was "a smash hit on the overseas version of 2chan!!"

Plus with the new Space Dandy anime airing dubbed simultaneously, I'd say the times are changing for the better.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
So an English speaking audience could never influence marketing decisions in Japan?

I think we're forgetting about a little unpopular girl named Kuroki Tomoko. Who's fault is it that she's not popular? It's definitely not the English speaking audience I can tell you that. It was the Japanese otaku's reaction that initially made her unpopular, however they advertised on the physical manga release that it was "a smash hit on the overseas version of 2chan!!"

Plus with the new Space Dandy anime airing dubbed simultaneously, I'd say the times are changing for the better.

1 anime(Space dandy) out of the 180+ that will air this year, is hardly a sign of chance.

And going by the known data, the Watamote anime wasn't exactly a success.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't blame Japan for not caring about the American market.. US fans seem very cheap. You always see people complaining in disc sale threads on their favorite show doing poorly and then you ask them if they imported it and they went all 'No way, that's expensive!'. Until American fans want to put their purchasing power where their mouth is, they shouldn't expect any kind of representation in the medium.
Meygaera wrote:

Watamote was already made, and being popular on 4chan isn't going to decide if it keeps being published or not. It's a selling statement since a lot of series use 2ch as an advertisement, in this case they try to use 'Gaijin 2ch!" as a selling point. It's not like the editors of the magazine went 'Oh, well 4chan likes it, let's not cancel it'. It only continues to exist because of the Japanese sales, not what an internet message board thinks.

Space Dandy has production issues which is why it's probably a good idea NOT to do that. You have people working on the show complaining about the dub changing stuff, and I have to imagine the very short time frame anime is made can't be a very comfortable work environment. How do you dub a episode if it doesn't get finished until a few hours before it airs like it sometimes does in Japan? Just do an audio of the script and hope it matches up and there's no last minute changes? Space Dandy might be a fun experiment but I doubt it's something they'll make a habit out of. And hey, it's only being done with Space Dandy because Watanabe's stuff is more popular in the US than Japan, specifically Cowboy Bebop which Adult Swim has run into the ground and refused to let die.. I doubt any other American networks or Japanese company would put as much effort into this kind of push for any of the hundreds of other shows that come out every year. Exception to the rule.

Plus we got to see how much Space Dandy sells. Airing it in the US is cool and all but how do they make their money back off American fans? I think that's kinda the kicker for catering to Americans. We know how anime makes its money in Japan, but American fans don't buy as much as Japanese fans, and I wonder how much they make off TV advertismenets. I think SD's profits are still going to be up to Japanese disc sales unless I'm missing something.

Last edited by Mister Ryan Andrews on Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Watamote isn't a smash hit ANYWHERE. The Japanese disks sold very few units, and while the manga did get a boost, it was very insignificant. I don't think it was that popular in the US, but even if it were, it would still not make much money. So yeah...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Meygaera wrote:

1 anime(Space dandy) out of the 180+ that will air this year, is hardly a sign of chance.

And going by the known data, the Watamote anime wasn't exactly a success.

Also, don't think Watamote was aimed at the West, it was just by chance it resonated with some.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I have noticed a vocal group of users who consistently report that American loved anime "wasn't popular in Japan" and that "anime will keep pandering to otaku." And I may be wrong, but every time I read something like that, I detect a sort of...pride. Like "We're GLAD all anime is the same otaku-pandering stuff."

If this is true (IF, mind you), I have to ask...why? Won't the same thing over and over again get boring? Is it wrong to hope for something different?
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean different? People use shows like Kill la Kill or Space Dandy as an example of 'anime that buck the trend of otaku pandering' despite the absurd amount of tits and ass in those shows. 'Otaku pandering' is a useless term that doesn't mean anything apparently if they can look at Ryuko's outfit and go "NOPE, nothing pandering going on here, unlike that KyoAni crap!" Then it just leads to 'I remember the good old days of Cowboy Bebop and Trigun' which goes into the 'well, those shows didn't do that great in Japan..' and then THAT goes into 'Well, they should cater to the American markets then!' and then 'Well there's no money there' and yadda yadda. I got no problem is with the way anime is right now, maybe you can elaborate? There's plenty of variety for me but it seems like the people who DO say 'it's all the same' don't explain why they think that outside vague phrases and words like 'moe' and 'otaku pandering'.

Though I'd totally love to see what happens if US fans bought BDs. Seriously. Get everyone on different sites together and go 'Okay guys, let's all pre-order vol 1 of this show' for something they think is anti otaku pandering and see what happens. I think it'd be a fun experiment if they do manage to coordinate and do that and suddenly this random show has 10K+ volumes sold and how the companies might react if they saw those sales were from import sites or something. Would be a fun business experiment.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
The artistic dissonance between what japanese fans like and what western fans like in anime has being going on since the start of tv anime. So it's not a new phenomenon. The big big big difference between then and now is WHAT influences japanese anime creators are subject to. This has nothing to do with western fans, purchasing power or not. It is a 1000% Japanese problem, one that has been tackled to death even by industry giants the likes of Tomino and Miyazaki.

As is true of every other medium, accept the fact that most of production is "shit" and every once in a while you'll get a pearl. It's going to be different for every fan but the gist is that. Most of what gets produced (now or then) is/was forgettable. Few things stand the test of time.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

Though I'd totally love to see what happens if US fans bought BDs. Seriously. Get everyone on different sites together and go 'Okay guys, let's all pre-order vol 1 of this show' for something they think is anti otaku pandering and see what happens. I think it'd be a fun experiment if they do manage to coordinate and do that and suddenly this random show has 10K+ volumes sold and how the companies might react if they saw those sales were from import sites or something. Would be a fun business experiment.

I have thought this myself and would love to see what would happen.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Yeah it's unfortunate, sadly, Japan won't make MP3 or podcast version of these dramas avaliable which seem to be working according to a Guardian article in the UK.

I don't know if there's a word missing there somewhere, but I'm having trouble parsing that sentence.

Quote:
I know Radio drama in Japan are popular, but as Justin said there's not a big market in the US for it and Japan doesn't make use of MP3 or podcast to distribute these radio dramas. So it's not worth it.

There was a web radio programme for Kiddy GiRL-and that included both seiyuu chat and a pre-recorded mini audio drama. It can't be the only one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Japanese like American things except American things made in Japan. It's about the same feelings American fans have towards anime made in the US? Well, I wouldn't blame either. It's just an instinct to doubt anything vaguely fake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10