• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AKB48 Producer Akimoto to Produce 2020 Tokyo Olympics Opening Ceremony

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kawai claims that there is a "silent majority of Japanese who are apprehensive of a future entertainment industry that emphasizes artists without talent who only push marketing and personal branding and set up special interests and exclusive economic zones."

Uh...that's entertainment all over the world. Time to get use to it Neutral
suprememoonempress

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
All that's in my head is Akira when I here about them hosting it . I'm sure he will do fine
Banjo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
take my sign as well. Cool
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, can I have something related to the Olympics that won't affect Japanese media in a negative way. All I'm hearing on the subject of the Tokyo olympics Olympics is the guarantee of a terrible outcome for Japanese media.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Eh, whatevs. I'm still concerned about the razing of the anime and manga industry before the Olympics to present a more "wholesome" image.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Eh, whatevs. I'm still concerned about the razing of the anime and manga industry before the Olympics to present a more "wholesome" image.

I still think 2020 will be the end for Japanese media as we know it and it's going to hit the crapper very quickly maybe as little as a few months before or after the Olympics.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I heard about the backlash, and I don't understand why's that an issue. Whoever wrote up that petition must really hate this guy and the J-idol culture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
There are legitimate reasons to oppose Akimoto's participation -- there are some huge issues with how the idol industry operates and treats girls -- but AKB48's musical abilities are not one of them. Using this as an excuse to trash the group members is slimy.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Definitely my biggest concern too. It's been going on silently and the arrests of eromanga publishers had set off a chain of events. Only
Dan Kanemitsu has been covering what's going on, with some of the things behind the scenes.

mdo7 wrote:
Yeah I heard about the backlash, and I don't understand why's that an issue. Whoever wrote up that petition must really hate this guy and the J-idol culture.

The dude sounds like an anti-pop-culture progressive hipster, which is what change.org tends to attract unfortunately. How can he claim to make an "objective" judgement and conclude none of these idols who make it "have no talent"? Personally, I think the producer was selected primarily because of his political connections through Abe, but that's a different matter than being opposed to it because of opposing pop culture.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

mdo7 wrote:

The dude sounds like an anti-pop-culture progressive hipster, which is what change.org tends to attract unfortunately. How can he claim to make an "objective" judgement and conclude none of these idols who make it "have no talent"? Personally, I think the producer was selected primarily because of his political connections through Abe, but that's a different matter than being opposed to it because of opposing pop culture.

That person has to be a hater/anti, maybe this person hate Akimoto for a reason, or here's another theory: maybe a former trainee who didn't make it on AKB48 wrote up this petition as an act of revenge for not making the cut. Geez, even the name Gee Kawai doesn't sound like a real name, maybe it's an alias. I wouldn't be surprised if this was done by a former trainee who didn't make the cut.

There could be other theory for writing up this petition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kanechin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
It's been going on silently and the arrests of eromanga publishers had set off a chain of events. Only
Dan Kanemitsu has been covering what's going on, with some of the things behind the scenes.

This is still going on?
lizardking461

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kawai claims that there is a "silent majority of Japanese who are apprehensive of a future entertainment industry that emphasizes artists without talent who only push marketing and personal branding and set up special interests and exclusive economic zones." While acknowledging that Akimoto boasted of "various glittering accomplishments," he writes that an objective interpretation of Akimoto's projects leads to his appointment symbolizing "the Japanese entertainment industry's further decline" and "a decline in quality of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics."

Thank god, I thought they were completely oblivious.

Quote:
Uh...that's entertainment all over the world. Time to get use to it

Even the American pop music industry is less creatively stagnant and image based than the Japanese industry.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope he's never, ever heard of Russell Brand, Willy Wonka or Queen. Mad

(And have to admit, the only watchable moment of that London closing-ceremonies train-wreck was the salute to the 2016 Rio Olympics, and seeing the Brazilian athletes actually tearing up at the Brazilian national anthem, which, no offense, sounds like something out of a Rossini comic opera.)
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Whoever wrote up that petition must really hate [...] the J-idol culture.
As any sane person should.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1