• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls und Panzer (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait until they announce the english cast!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Do you guys actually rewatch every episode or just buy blurays for the heck of it?

Crazy was buying anime on VHS tapes, a complete collection of the three season Slayers {one series for sub and one for dub} would take up as much space as my collection does now, which includes the 12 DVD Slayers collection. And finding one particular episode in all that tape, to watch in theory "immediately"? Not happening.

We've come a long way and hopefully we'll get past this "streaming" thing so we can reach an actual destination of "pop culture medium ownership". But we can't do that until producers understand what "ownership" actually entails. Greedy? That's the point of being a consumer.

Example: I could do all my watching through streaming but then things get taken down or not everything gets put up.

Do I rewatch shows? I watch dubbed than subbed or subbed than dubbed {they're XXXX if they don't have both}, plus I rewatch series in entirety or by certain episodes; New is good in a way but what's really good is great.

Something like Girls Und Panzer is beyond "good" and I've already rewatched it many times, ordering the Blu-Ray was a given. As for casting, it's not so much a question of "who" {but I'd love to hear Jessica Boone and Sasha Paysinger} but "where".
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
English cast list is out

Director: Janice Williams

English Vocal Cast

Team Anglerfish

Miho Nishizumi: Meg McDonald

Saori Takabe: Jessica Calvello

Hana Isuzu: Caitlynn French

Yukari Akiyama: Rebekah Stevens

Mako Reizei: Molly Searcy

Team Turtle

Anzu Kadotani: Rozie Curtis

Yuzuko Koyama: Meaghan Avocato

Momo Kawashima: Kendal McClellan

Team Duck

Noriko Isobe: Genevieve Simmons

Taeko Kondou: Kalin Coates

Shinobu Kawanishi: Cynthia Martinez

Akebi Sasaki: Carli Mosier

Team Hippo

Caesar: Shannon Emerick

Erwin: Luci Christian

Saemonza: Tiffany Terrell

Oryou: Nancy Novotny

Team Rabbit

Azusa Sawa: Allison Sumrall

Ayumi Yamagou: Savannah Menzel

Karina Sakaguchi: Monica Rial

Yuuki Utsugi: Maggie Flecknoe

Aya Oono: Juliet Simmons

Team Mallard

Sodoko: Tiffany Grant

Pazomi: Emily Neves

Gomoyo: Shelley Calene-Black

Team Leopon

Nakajima: Beth Lazorou

Hoshino: Diane Gallagher

Suzuki: Brittney Karbowski

Tsuchiya: Luci Christian

Team Anteater

Nekonya: Natalie Rial

Piyotan: Maggie Flecknoe

Momoga: Olivia Swasey

Kuromorimine

Maho Nishizumi: Kim Prause

Erika Itsumi: Elizabeth Bannor

Darjeeling: Kara Greenberg

Orange Pekoe: Ally Piotrowski

Kei: Emily Neves

Katyusha: Hilary Haag

Nonna: Shannon Emerick

Ami Chouno: Shelley Calene-Black

Shinzaburou: David Matranga

Shiho Nishizumi: Genevieve Simmons

Additional Voices Leraldo Anzuldua

Christopher Ayres

Elizabeth Bannor

Diane Gallagher

Beth Lazorou

David Matranga

Cynthia Martinez

Carli Mosier

Ally Piotrowski

Natalie Rial

John Swasey

Olivia Swasey
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quite possibly their biggest casting announcement too bad none of the big (Sentai) names were chosen for anyone on Team Anglerfish.

Still, I'm surprised Sentai managed to get Jessica Calvello on board, considering her...issue with ADV over Excel Saga. With Fairy Tail and Ikki Tousen (both also Texas-based), it wasn't quite as big a surprise (especially not the latter), since she wouldn't really make as much sense for her to hold a grudge against FUNimation, which I don't think she ever voiced for prior to that. Here, not really, since Sentai is basically the revived ADV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
Quite possibly their biggest casting announcement too bad none of the big (Sentai) names were chosen for anyone on Team Anglerfish.

I think that's a good thing. give lesser known people bigger roles and something new for us to listen to
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote
the dub is up on Anime Network for subscribers
Joji5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the dub but I hear they cut out the Katyusha song sung by the Pravda team. Not sure how a copy right could have affected this since in Russia it is a public domain song from the 1880s which was popularized as a Soviet march during WWII. It defines the Team. Hope they also kept Panzerlied for the Black Forest girls but it would have been better it was sung similar to Katyusha.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
Joji5 wrote:
I haven't seen the dub but I hear they cut out the Katyusha song sung by the Pravda team. Not sure how a copy right could have affected this since in Russia it is a public domain song from the 1880s which was popularized as a Soviet march during WWII. It defines the Team.

The "they" in this case is the original Japanese production company who didn't offer it as part of the streamed version and had a reanimated version ready in time for the foreign release; I've noticed that in many places, full blame is being ascribed to the American company Sentai and the dub in particular for some reason.

The confusing part is that the show's creative team choose to replace a song with a full chorus, two singing leads and proper musical framing with an instrumental with mouth movements removed - but with the same framing for non-existing solos. It changes the audience to more of a "Huh, what was that?" if they don't know about the cut track to "That's awful" for those in the know.

I'm just glad for Youtube so the correct is always at hand {for now}. On the other hand, maybe I'd wouldn't feel as left out if I hadn't seen the scene as originally intended, the drive and teamwork of Pravda through song, a counterpoint to Oarai's scene in the following episode.

As for the copyright issue, there could be any number of things behind it, from one producer finding the license costs too high to not trying in the first place to creating a deterrent for reverse importation {The animation company didn't even try to find an appropriate replacement, just one that was free; It goes beyond not caring to sabotaging their own work}.

I'm leaning towards the last one as the song being cut due to copyright law was at least an understandable reason. Replacing it with an inferior version that drags down the pace is just wrong.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I heard on Sentai's YouTube page that the song was deleted because the copyright owner to "Katyusha" was demanding an arm and a leg. And since Sentai is still a rather small company...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Anzio OVA

I think Anzio might just be one of my favourite teams of the lot, they were incredibly charming. I am very happy that we got this well done 35 minute OVA. I expected Anchovy to be a bit like Katyusha or in general like a Rie Kugimiya based on her looks, but she turned out very friendly and the right kind of spunky and charismatic.

Anzio were not the brightest light bulbs, they were spoiler[even more embarrassingly infiltrated by Yukari, and they kind of wrecked their own plan by putting out too many fakes]. But they had a spirit to them that actually made you kind of want to root for them a little. Them managing to be the spoiler[end credit tanks] felt great, followed by them kind of spoiler[messing up on their plan to support Ooarai].

The air of fun was spread through the entire thing really, I know that I enjoyed the series in general, and I found this to be a good thing to watch. Good also that they also used the time to show us various other places that we might not normally have seen, like spoiler[Hippo's hangout with them having a different look, or the motor club's.... garage?] This was a great watch as someone who became a fan of Girls und Panzer.

And was that an spoiler[Equilibrium styled gun fight] using tanks?
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:57 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

And was that an spoiler[Equilibrium styled gun fight] using tanks?

I thought that too. It was bloody GLORIOUS!

I really enjoyed this OVA. It was very fun and, although we already know the outcome, it was cool to see how it all panned out. I too like the Anzio team a lot now and I'm not the least bit surprised that Anchovy has a good-sized fanbase. She's likely even my new favourite in the series.

Also, spoiler[OMFG how did nobody in that 2nd-to-last tank not die!? Is their tank filled with jello or something!?]
Morisummer500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I only watched a few episodes of this anime, but here is one thing I liked- the cute pink tank! What else would cute anime girls drive into battle?
SayuriUliana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:47 am Reply with quote
1st PV for the Movie is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmGYEx-ka3M

Looks like a St. Gloriana rematch, though with Chihatan School doing whatever.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh my goodness, what a glorious two hours that was. They somehow managed to up the hamminess even more with the movie. So many ridiculously stupid-awesome things happening, especially at spoiler[the theme park] in the final battle.

It's no wonder that this movie kept getting more and more screenings in theaters. It's just so fun to watch. It'll be an instant pre-order for me when Sentai brings it over eventually.

Here's hoping that the World Tournament that they keep referring to the movie (as well as a few mentions in the TV series) means that the creators aren't done with senshado yet.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:10 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching the movie (or should I say, der Film?) and I must say, it was a blast! Great battle scenes, fun moments, and even a finnish high school (Continuation). The only regret I have is not seeing it in theatres! It would have rocked my world.

Funniest moment: spoiler[When Chihatan forces misunderstand "We're ret-rea-ting!" as "We're char-ging".] Wonderful! Laughing

Oh, and it was weird that the "finnish" girls all had boys' names...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 30