• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Dandy's power is like Haruhi's power. Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

I'm not sure what to think of this episode. Strange and bizarre would be two words that came to my mind. But ultimately, I thought it did its job for the way Space Dandy is. That spoiler[book alien actually was pretty cute too and I liked the clever coloring of the backgrounds.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
This episode was pretty good-looking. I loved the way they used monochrome coloring for most of the episode. It was actually pretty clever! Bea was really awesome in this episode. It's always nice to see him take the spotlight, especially here. Also, SCARLET'S BACK! I'd thought the show had forgotten about her!

Now onto spoilers!

spoiler[The book alien was so cute! Yeah, I know she looks like a book, but I like books! I wanna take her home with me! Also, it looks like Dandy and Dr. Gel are finally catching on to the fact that they are in an endless recursion of time. My theory grows stronger yet! Also, is it me, or is that Honey girl stalking Dandy? Given that she could read the label that QT couldn't, along with hints from an animator that she's smarter than she is, it wouldn't surprise me if she was spying/stalking our heroes.]
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'd just like to say that I absolutely love it when people make aliens in ways that we wouldn't even consider life normally. I also love the idea of library planets like in Dr. Who or The Guided Fate Paradox. Dr. Gel's diagrams are making me want to play Tsuro again. Fun game, BTW. But they seemed to switch to 4x3 blocks instead of 3x3 at the end, which isn't compliant:(

I'd never use it but a the "QT Data Song" would make a good ringtone. Also, I'm awaiting spoiler[cute girl personification fanart of the book]. Why not? Thanks to artist Michairu we have a hot gender-swapped humanized Meow so it's not so much of a stretch.

While I'm really not a fan of spoiler[ending loops] the spoiler[literal format wars] idea was pretty funny. Funnier than a Ringu parody, which is what I was thinking they were going to do. But thanks to the posts here I see the whole thing in a new light. I'm normally pretty skeptical about deeper meanings in stories because I'm so used to authors and directors just going "we'll throw in a bunch of random crap and the more creative and absurdly obsessive fans will make it into the next holy grail of art". but I actually agree with you guys about this one. And it's shown some consistency, making me think it's not a "for the fans to make up" thing.

From a visual standpoint, I liked this one except for the ships, which looked like turds. Space Dandy: Always something different.

EDIT: I forgot to comment on the next Ep preview. And that comment is "I played Catherine so that alien already scares me."
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Soo...in the spoiler[end no one really knows the true form of that Chameleon or whatever it is. Damn. ]

Quote:
Is that your final Dandy?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
Patrick Seitz on Twitter said it best:

spoiler["Welcome to your existential crisis, Dandy..."]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

"spoiler[A planet that looks like it has Chameleons]" I lost it at that bit.

I am actually rather enjoying that this can be so silly, it felt like there were a few Looney Toons moments in the episode that worked well. The alien spoiler[disguising itself as some random old guy and not being noticed] was funny. And Scarlet too, the part where they spoiler[brought a large Chameleon] was perfect. Might be just me but this felt like the funniest episode yet, with plenty of laugh out loud moments.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
I enjoy Space Dandy most when it is completely wild.Obviously this episode wasn't as insane as previous 3 were,but it was still thoroughly enjoyable and funny.It had nice character animation that was hilarious,and those Hanna-Barbera sound effects and cuts worked well in the context of the episode.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD THIS EPISODE WAS F***ING HILARIOUS!

This might be the funniest episode of Space Dandy yet! I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard watching anime! Most of the jokes were absolute gold, and pretty much everything involving the Chameleonian was really funny! Overall, it's one of my new favorite episodes! I don't expect less from Kimiko Ueno, after all.

Also, QT was really adorable this episode! (S)he's becoming one of my favorite characters in the show! The way Alison Viktorin plays QT really brings out the cuteness. I know how moe is kind of subjective, but I need to say it. QT IS SO FREAKING MOE IT HURTS!!!!
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
This ep had a lot of great gags, but I loved that they name checked some classic Motown: The Ronettes and their hit "Be My Baby" (which must've been popular in Japan, because it was name checked in Monster, too).
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 12

"spoiler[A planet that looks like it has Chameleons]" I lost it at that bit.

Yes, that was really funny, as was this whole episode. I love spending time with these three. I also love how the show keeps addressing the issue of (or so it seems) various spoiler[incarnations of Dandy] running around without providing an explanation (yet), as they did last episode as well.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
Interesting interview with Dai Sato(one of the writers of Space Dandy). He talks about the influence of fandom on anime,moe culture,nostalgia and the idea behind SD's existence.
http://www.dailydot.com/fandom/dai-sato-anime-boston-cowboy-bebop-space-dandy/
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I hope I'm not the only one who googled up "Gestaltzerfall" after watching episode 12 Confused
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
So is this show 13 or 26 episode?

I mean epi 13 wasn't bad, but if that's it for a final episode...
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So is this show 13 or 26 episode?

I mean epi 13 wasn't bad, but if that's it for a final episode...

I think 26 episodes. Second half is supposed to air in July.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 24