• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Haikyuu!! Volleyball Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I'd see the day where a new sports series was actually licensed in the US market *sheds manly tears* Anime cry

I was already interested in checking this out thankfully so it just increased my motivation. Hopefully this doesn't end up flopping for Sentai.

Well done Sentai. Well done.
FH14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Wait. A sports anime actually got licensed? I'm pleasantly surprised by this. (I know Free! got licensed too, but that's more of a slice of life show with sports background than anything tbh). Though honestly with the failures the industry has had with sports anime in the past, I'm surprised that Sentai is willing to take the risk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
If I like this--which I seriously think I will--I'll order it. I really want a sports anime to succeed, too. Props to Sentai for taking the plunge and licensing this.

Um, how pretty are Sentai's BR releases? I've only ever bought This Boy Can Fight Aliens from them.

EDIT:
Wait, Free! got licensed for home release? When?
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kageyama's precision ball-handling

I can picture the h-doujins already... Anyhow, yes, very surprising to a sports anime licensed. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo! Very happy to see this, as I doubt the manga will get a release any time soon. I'm excited to watch and then to own Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
normajean19

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
FH14 wrote:
(I know Free! got licensed too, but that's more of a slice of life show with sports background than anything tbh)

Actually... no. Free! has only been licensed in North America by Crunchyroll.

Well, Sentai sure knows how to start off the Spring season with a bang. Surprising license, to say the least.

Last edited by normajean19 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
FH14 wrote:
(I know Free! got licensed too, but that's more of a slice of life show with sports background than anything tbh).

Free is still unlicensed.

EDIT: Looks like somebody beat me to it.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Adding to the surprise that a sports anime has been licensed. I greatly enjoy the Haikyuu!! manga and expect the anime to be equally enjoyable. Not the sports anime I expected to be licensed though, thought if anything Kuroko no Basuke would but perhaps that's too long now to be worth the risk.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Not the sports anime I expected to be licensed though, thought if anything Kuroko no Basuke would but perhaps that's too long now to be worth the risk.

I also wonder if the licensing fees might be expensive, too, due to its popularity in Japan. If a company wants to test the waters, they're not going to want to spend a lot--especially on a series with 2 two-cour seasons.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Ah that is a good point, hadn't thought about it but makes sense.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
FH14 wrote:
(I know Free! got licensed too, but that's more of a slice of life show with sports background than anything tbh).

The only possible hints of Free! being licensed is a rumor floating around on the nets that Viz has it. And that's based off of a post on Neon Alley's Facebook page where a fan asks if Viz has licensed the show and Neon Alley responds with a grin.

Very shakey at best.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Consolation prize for losing Ro-Kyu-Bu? Twisted Evil

This one.. frankly seem to be missing the one reason to watch volleyball :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
normajean19 wrote:
FH14 wrote:
(I know Free! got licensed too, but that's more of a slice of life show with sports background than anything tbh)

Actually... no. Free! has only been licensed in North America by Crunchyroll.

Well, Sentai sure knows how to start off the Spring season with a bang. Surprising license, to say the least.

Free has too much conflict to be 'Slice of Life' over 'Sports'. Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Well this is very surprising to see a sport anime to be licensed, this is nice to see, thanks for the pickup Sentai film. Smile
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I wish a football (the original) anime would get licensed.

It would be a miracle if Hajime no Ippo's OVA, 2nd and 3rd seasons would get licensed. And make sure Ocean Group records the dub, if FUNimation can get Ocean to record dubs, there's no reason no one else can.

Last edited by the-antihero on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2